IRETON - Reading Township Sioux County, Platted in 1882, Post
Office 1882, Incorporated 1890, Railroad 1882. Town named for the
famous English Revolutionary General Henry Ireton, chosen by the
Close Bros. There were two rural post offices; Osh Gosh NE of
Ireton 1872, & 1877Corn Valley 4 mi. west on Hwy 10.
- Pleasant Hill Cemetery City Clerk has the records and
are kept at the town hall. Records began in 1890. Very few
omissions have been found. From 1890-1920 there are very
detailed records, the information includes birth, place of
birth, parents and their birthplace and cause of death. At the
location of this cemetery used to stand Methodist church years
- St. Johnís Lutheran Cemetery Helen (Mrs. James)
Jasper is record keeper
Highland Cemetery rural Ireton.
- Union Hill Cemetery Washington Township, old cemetery
- Ireton is served by the area Morticians.
- The Christian Reformed Church was organized 7 March
1908. The church has complete records. There is a 50th
- Reformed Church was organized in 1912.
- St. Johnís Lutheran Church 3 miles east and Ĺ
south of Ireton. contact: Helen (Mrs. James) Jasper
- St. Pauls Lutheran Chruch 602 Main Ireton IA
- Methodist Church 502 5th Ireton IA
- Defunct area Churches:
- Rock River Lutheran Church rural Ireton,
- Mt. Joy Church of God was across the road.
- United Presbyterian Church organized in 1883 and
disbanded in 1920.
- Center Capel Methodist Church was located 5 miles
north of Ireton Center Township disbanded about 1908.
- The first newspaper published was the Ireton Clipper in
1884. Only scattered copies remain. Mrs. Russ (Edna ) Marshall
had most of them, as well as the following newspapers: the Ireton
Ledger whose files were burned and the Ireton Record.
- Later for a period there was no newspaper but an Ireton page
was printed in the Rock Valley Bee.
- In 1953 the Ireton Booster, which began as a product
of a high school journalism class, was published. These 27
years of files are complete.
- The Newspaper Library at the State Historical Building in
Des Moines has incomplete files of the Ireton Ledger from
21 January 1915 to 11 Nov 1915 and from 6 January 1927 to 29
December 1927 on microfilm.
- In the 1940s the newspaper was the Ireton Echo. There
are a few issue records in the Hawarden Library.
- no town library, served by Hawarden and other area
- A Rodeo Booklet
- Jubilee Book
- Ireton Centennial Book 1982
- Historical Society - Had been organized. They had
plans to have all newspaper files in their library. The museum
is located in former City Hall building, Ĺ block east of the
Post Office. President is Shirley Ten Napel.
- Local Historian - Ardis Eilts