HULL - (Winland, and Pattersonville were former names)
Pattersonville became Hull on April 15, 1886. Hull was chosen in
honor of the Honorable J.A.R. Hull congressman from the 7th
District - First settled in 1864. Platted 1878, First Post office
1879, Railroad track completed Nov. 24, 1878. Newspaper started
1879. Incorporated March 24, 1886 with first municipal election on
June 15, 1886. Early settlers in 1871. Hull is Located in Lincoln
Township, Sioux County.
- Hope Cemetery records are located at Lucas De Koster’s
Office. Those records have
been with the De Koster family for many years as Lucas took
them over from his father. The cemetery was organized in
1889 in Section 27, Earliest burials 1837&1871 Martin husb
and wife, are believed to be reburials, next earliest 1877
with several in 1880’s; Lucas De Koster wrote a cemetery
history in 1930.The dates of death or burial are included in
the records as well as ownership of the plots.
- The Lincoln Township Cemetery is Section 28 which is
northwest of Hull, earliest gravestone in 1879, and this
cemetery has not been used for some time. The records have
been destroyed in the fire about 1910 which destroyed the
township building. The Ralph Oostra family whose farm lies
adjacent to the cemetery has cared for the abandoned cemetery
in the past.
- St. Josephs Catholic Cemetery in Hull
- Lutheran Cemetery northeast of Hull in Section 13.
- Hull has been served by the following Funeral Homes: Langstraat
& Vander Stouwe, Beckman Wier and Clairhout,
Vanetten in 1947, and Kraai since 1961. No old
records have been located. Present morticians are Larry Oolman,
Chad Oolman, assisted by W. Dale Kraai. Chapel and display
room at Kraai Oolman Funeral home.
- The Reformed Church was established 29 September
1885. The book “First Reformed Church 1885-1960 in available
at the library. There is another church book printed located
in church library.
- American Reformed Church organized in 1921.
- The First Christian Reformed Church was organized 9
Oct. 1893. They have at least one published history also
available at the Hull Library.
- Hope Christian Reformed Church organized in 1961
- Hull Protestant Reformed Church organized in 1925
- Methodist Church organized Oct 1880 The church was
razed in the 1940s
- Congregational Church Organized in 1883. Was located
where the American Reformed Church is today.
- St Paul’s Lutheran Church organized in 1879.
- Zion Lutheran Church In 1883 a second Lutheran Church
was organized was disbanded.
- St. Joseph’s Catholic Church was in Hull from
- Some churches have histories book located in their
- Hull Public Library 1135 Main St Box 822 Hull IA
51239 Ph: 712-439-1321
Hours: Mon, Tues, Wed, & Fri 12:30 - 5:30 Thurs 12:30 -
9:00 Sat 9:00-1:00
Items of interest: Service record of Hull; Town Histories of
area towns; a section on Iowa history; several family
histories. Hull Centennial Anniversary Book of Hull 1973. The
Library has a microfilm reader and printer.
- Centennial Anniversary Book of Hull 1973;
- 1949 “Glimpse”, the first high school annual; it
has lists of former graduates by years.
- Western Christian High book “Sketches of Grace”
stories of Western from 1919-1944. Available at the
- Complete records of the paper now known as the Sioux
County Index Reporter exist from 1892 and are located at
the newspaper office. The Hull Library has
micro film of the newspaper.
- A small newspaper called the PRESS was started by
D.S.W. Perkins. One month later he sold to S.M.Wood and M.S.
Parker who changed the name to the Pattersonville Iowa
Index, and issued their first seven column folio newspaper
on March 5, 1879. The paper was first published in 1879, but a
fire destroyed earlier files through about 1892.
- Newspaper Editors - Beginning in 1998 - Jane VerSteeg,
Russ Gold, Other editors over the years have been: Jerry
Westra, Marion Kempers, John Pease, Julie Swartz, Randy
Feenstra, Richard Sherman, C.F. Sawyer, C. O. Sawyer, in
Sawyer, J.W. Tamplin, B.H. Tamplin, A.C. Satterlee, H.C.
- Other items of interest - First child believed to
have been born in Hull was Ethelyn Mae Hollister (Roe) born
August 15, 1879 to Mr. & Mrs. Storres W. Hollister who
owned the general store in Hull. Mr. Roe passed away in 1961.
Many other historical and genealogical items of interest are
in the Hull Centennial book which is available in most local
- Historian - DeKoster family.