Judge John F. Oliver, of Monona county, is just finishing his second term on the bench; he was elected first in 1895 and again in 1899. Judge Oliver was born in Washington, Pa., in 1855, but he came west with his father, Judge Addison Oliver, while a mere child, and has lived at Onawa most of the time since, save for a few years that he was engaged in the practice of law in Ottumwa, Io. He was educated at Iowa university, and graduated from its law school in 1879. He located in Ottumwa and remained there about ten years, when he removed to Onawa. Judge Oliver was a successful practitioner before going on the bench. He is married and has four children.
Source: Sioux City Journal, June 1, 1902
~Submitted by researcher, Connie Swearingen