Soldier Lutheran Church

Located south and east of Soldier, Iowa, sometimes referred to as the Old Norwegian Lutheran Country Church

You will delight in the beautiful style of this 1904 structure—tall spire capped twin steeples, finely crafted stained glass windows, carved woodwork and antique pump organ.

 


 

~Pictures taken from the booklet published by Mike Lyon of Mapleton, Iowa. This booklet was published prior to his death, as he was employed at the Mapleton Press newspaper.

~Submitted by researcher, Larry Lundeen



LARGE CROWD ATTENDS SOUTH CHURCH 75TH ANNIVERSARY  

The Soldier Lutheran South Church was almost filled for the morning service Sunday, July 29, 1979, in observance of the 75th anniversary of the church building.  The dedication sermon was delivered by former Soldier pastor, E. E. Hoff, of Eau Claire, Wis., who was accompanied by his wife and daughter, Marilyn and her daughter.  The Hoff’s served the Soldier congregation from 1937 to 1945 and he was pastor at Soldier on the 75th anniversary of the congregation in 1945.

The balance of the services were under the direction of Pastor William Carter, Stan Carlisle, of Fremont, Neb., husband of the former Janet Gorham, sang a solo.

Immediately following the morning service pictures were taken on the south side of the church by Larry DuVal of Onawa.

During the afternoon service two more solos were rendered by Mr. Carlisle and Mrs. Bernard Berens also sang.  Greetings were read from former pastors.  Roger Peterson gave a greeting in behalf of the Sioux City Circuit.  There was special music by the men’s quartet.

Pot luck dinner was served at noon and lunch in the afternoon.

The anniversary committee was Mrs. Ivan Gibbs, chr.; Mrs. Lowell Amunson; Clayton Swenson; and Bennett Hagen.

Source: Unknown local newspaper, August 2, 1979

 










2008-2013 by IAGenWeb
& the various submitters