Early Schools of Mills County, Iowa

Hillsdale School


Hillsdale School was built around 1866, when the town was thriving as a trading and transportation center on the newly constructed Burlington rail line. In the early years there was a plan (later abandoned) to convert the building into a small college.

The structure burned September 28, 1936 and was replaced. Photo is estimated at around 1895. The teacher seen on the left with the dark dress may be Jessie Moore.


Source: History and photo donated by Harry Wilkins, Tabor Historical Society


Return to Schools

Return to Mills County Home

Page updated on May 8, 2021 by Karyn Techau
Copyright IAGenWeb 1996-2021 The submitters & IAGenWeb
Pleaseread the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
~ all of which applies to the complete Mills co. IAGenWeb website. ~