of Jefferson County
"WHITFIELD. A village and railroad station in the eastern part
of Sec 31, Fairfield (now Center) Township. P.O. Est. 19 Feb 1886, Stephen D. Walsh, first postmaster; disc. 16 Jul 1891. It was the intention of the railway company officials to call this station Whitwood,
after Deodatus C. Whitwood who, about the time of the construction of the road, owned the land on which the depot was located, but through an error in transcribing the name it was called Whitfield. Name was changed to Krum."
The above information was compiled by Mary Prill and published in the Hawkeye Heritage, July 1967.
Return to the Towns Page
Return to the Jefferson County Main Page