of Jefferson County
"LOCKRIDGE (new). Sec. 36, Lockridge Township. The properly and platted name of the present town is East Lockridge. Plat, p. 26, 1909 Atlas. N. Simmons was postmaster in 1859. Population in 1894, 200. Lockridge today is certainly not an "abandoned" town.
LOCKRIDGE (Old). First town in the county; laid off in 1836 - 37
by Col. Coop at the common corner of Cedar, Round Prairie, Lockridge and
Buchanan Townships. It flourished as a business place for a time.
It was on a "ridge" of land by Wolf and Lick Creeks. P.O. Est. 20
May 1840 with Ira Tillotson first postmaster, followed by Daniel Van Winkle
and William Bonnifield; disc. 21 Oct 1850."
The above information was compiled by Mary Prill and published in the Hawkeye Heritage, July 1967.
Return to the Towns Page
Return to the Jefferson County Main Page