of Jefferson County
"FAIRFIELD. County seat of Jefferson County; first called Jefferson. Fairfield P.O. Est. 25 May 1839, William Hueston, first postmaster. Since then many prominent persons have served in that capacity. Old Plat, p. 242, 1875 Atlas of Iowa; shows early names of streets; New Plat, pp: 10 - 15, 1909 Atlas of Jefferson County. Population in 1840 was between 50 and 75 people; in 1967, 11,500. Site of the First Iowa State Fair in 1854. Home of Parsons College, established in 1875."
"JEFFERSON. P.O. Est. 2 Mar. 1839; Henry Pitzer, postmaster.
On 25 May 1839 the name changed to Fairfield, and Jefferson P.O. was discontinued."
The above information was compiled by Mary Prill and published in the Hawkeye Heritage, July 1967.
Return to the Towns Page
Return to the Jefferson County Main Page