of Jefferson County
Batavia / Creesville / Greenland
(Locust Grove Township)
"BATAVIA. Sec. 31, Locust Grove Township. P.O. Est. 22 Aug, 1853; Wm. F. Hamerick, first p.m. Plat, p. 22, 1909 Atlas. First named Creeseville; see below, See also Greenland, (Batavia Edition, Fairfield Tribune, Oct. 16, 1889,) 1895 pop., 433. Batavia today is a "live" town."
"CREESEVILLE. Name first given the present town of Batavia. It was platted as Creeseville in 1826 (Plat, p. 22, 1909 Atlas); named for Henry Crees, who died 29 Jul., 1847, Aged 65 yrs. P.O. Est. 22 Jul., 1851, David Longberry, Postmaster; discontinued 22 Aug., 1853 when the name was changed to Batavia; name changed to Batavia 23 May 1873."
"GREENLAND. In 1883 Hiram Greenland died after having been
postmaster at Batavia for nearly a quarter of a century. On 12 May
1884 the P.O. Dept. ordered the name of Batavia P.O. changed to
Greenland. Batavia was much agitated over the change in name, and
a remonstrance was forwarded to the department, the signers holding that
re-christening a town as old as Batavia was much against the best interests
of the community. The department recalled the order on 19 Jun 1884,
or the railroad might also have adopted the new name. Maggie Greenland,
daughter of Hiram, became postmistress, resigned in 1894, and W. S. Shoemaker
was appointed postmaster of Batavia."
The above information was compiled by Mary Prill and published in the Hawkeye Heritage, July 1967.
* - * - * - * - *
Fairfield, Iowa "WEEKLY JOURNAL", Jefferson County
Vol. VI, # 31, May 29, 1884, pg. 1.
Transcribed by Debbie Nash
Jefferson County Towns.
The editor of THE JOURNAL recently spent a day at the enterprising and progressive little town of Batavia, situated on the C., B. & Q. Railway, fifteen miles west of this city, on as beautiful a spot of ground as can be found in Jefferson county. Batavia is surrounded with a number of the finest farms and most thrifty farmers in the State of Iowa. It has four churches, Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist and Christian, and boasts between four and five hundred souls.
When we alighted from the cars the first one to take us by the hand was that prince among good fellows, and valuable friend of THE JOURNAL, Isaac Hardin, who runs the Hardin House in a manner that wins a goodly share of the public patronage.
We had the pleasure here of renewing the acquaintances of Capt. M. W. Forrest, from the "bulldozed parish" of Polk, and Freeman Wright, one of the very oldest settlers of Jefferson county, who located in Batavia in 1849, and has been a continuous resident there ever since.
One of the best creameries in Jefferson county is located here. It is owned and operated by John McLane, who seems to understand the creamery business thoroughly. It has a capacity of 1200 lbs. per day, but Mr. McLane informs us that they only churn 400 lbs. per day now, which is doing pretty well. We are under great obligations to Mr. McLane for personal favors while there.
M. S. Frisbe runs a restaurant and deals in confectionary, caned fruits, oysters, nuts, tobacco, cigars and notions. In connection with Mr. McLane, of the creamery, he ships about six hundred dozen eggs per week.
George Frush is the jolly, good natured and efficient proprietor of the Centennial Hotel, which is an excellent place to stop.
W. H. Avery runs a livery and feed stable, and has one of the best Clyde stallions in Jefferson county.
Dr. M. D. Baldridge, who is the only "straight republican," according to Uncle Billy Hall, in Locust Grove township, still maintains his excellent practice there.
Dr. J. W. DuBois, who removed to Batavia from this city, is, we are right glad to learn, meeting with remarkable success there, and is well liked by all.
Dr. O. J. Lyon is a homoeopathic physician of eighteen years practice who located in Batavia when Dr. S. M. Campbell removed to this city. He has an excellent and pleasant office, and is meeting with success.
Will H. Crail, son of Capt. B. F. Crail of this city, is the agent and operator at the C., B. & Q. Station, and it is a matter of pleasure to us to state to Billy’s many friends here, that he is well liked by that entire community.
W. H. Ruckman runs the only saloon in the place, but his lease will expire on the Fourth.
S. C. Walker, who is an enthusiastic and tireless worker in the ranks of Old Fellowship, is the grain dealer of the place.
John Burnaugh supplies the community with fresh and salt meats, and gives general satisfaction.
John Foulring is the "tooth carpenter" of Batavia, is an excellent dentist, and very popular with the people. He does a good business, and his work is always satisfactory.
Fryer Bros. have but recently started there with a full and complete stock of dry goods, staple and fancy groceries, produce, etc. They are getting a good share of the patronage of the community, and are worthy and deserving young men.
While there we met several good friends who assisted us to increase our subscription list in Batavia, among whom were Isaac Hardin, M. B. Sparks, John McLane, H. C. Pickerell and A. H. McElroy, to all of whom we tender our grateful thanks.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Return to the Towns Page
Return to the Jefferson County Main Page