of Jefferson County
The following information comes from the book "Glimpses of Yesterday" by Dixie Richardson, published in 1999 and copied here with her permission. The book contains histories and personal memories of Richland, Iowa, and the surrounding area. Copies of the book are available from Dixie Richardson, 556 South Davis, Ottumwa Iowa 52501-5301 for $13.00 and this covers postage and handling as well.
Baker was located 7 miles north of Fairfield in Section 23 of Blackhawk Township. Although Baker was never a town it was originally platted to be a town. Baker Post office was established August 27, 1861, and served several farm families in the area. James Baker was the first postmaster. Baker was born in Harrison County, Ohio, in 1819. He died in 1891 at Baker Iowa. According to other information George and Asenath Baker looked after the post office. The Bakers had 12 children. George Baker died in 1901. His wife continued with the post office until it was discontinued.
Baker was the halfway point between Fairfield and Richland. One trip a day each way was made between the two towns to pick up mail and sometimes passengers. Baker was an early stagecoach stop. When the railroad reached Richland, overland service was stopped between Richland and Fairfield. Even though service from Richland had discontinued a trip was made each day to Fairfield to pick up mail. The post office was discontinued on June 29, 1901. The Baker home where the post office was located was torn down in 1967 to make way for a new home which was being built by Mr. and Mrs. Walter Horras.
Return to the Towns Page
Return to the Jefferson County Main Page