site search by freefind advanced
Home Message Boards Resources History Records   What's New Contact Us



J. E. Goodenow Born At Springfield, Vt., on March 23, 1812

J. E. Goodenow was born in Springfield, Vt., on March 23, 1812, the son of Timothy and Besey White Goodenow, his mother being a descendant of Peregrine White, first white child born after the landing of the Mayflower at Plymouth.  He moved with his family to Warren county, New York, when eight years of age, and there he attended district school in the winter and assisted his father on the farm.  Later he bought a canal boat and operated it for a time before entering a partnership in a general store.  In 1838 he and Lyman Bates came to Iowa with a stock of merchandise, selling it along the way, and settled here in March, building their log cabin.  The following fall he returned to New York where, in October, he married Miss Eliza Wright, of Bolton, and brought her back to Iowa with him in the spring.

Of their eight children, the eldest was Osceola, whose three living children are J. E. Goodenow, Mrs. Imogene McIntire and Mrs. Carlota Young.  The second child, a daughter, Carlota, died in October, 1863, when but 20 years of age.  Miss Carlota was a beloved young school teacher here.

Mary, the third child, was the wife of D. H. Anderson.  Her two daughters are Bertha Large of Grinnell and Mrs. Alice Krepps of Maquoketa.

Emma became Mrs. George B. Perham, and her two children are Mrs. Bessie Archer and John Perham.

Helen, who married Fred Tinker, is the only daughter of Maquoketa's Father who is still living.  She had six sons, of whom John, Mortimer and D. N. are still living.

Alice became Mrs. Holcomb, and she is survived by three children, Kate, Bertram and Fred.

George, the seventh child, had two children, both of whom still live here, a son Fred and a daughter, Mrs. Gus Bowling.

The youngest son, Winfield Scott, was named by a company of Civil war soldiers whose headquarters were at child of the family was born. [sic] He is now the Goodenow hotel when the youngest living in Philadelphia, and his eight children are also located in the East.


Jason Pangborn Came To This City Century Ago

One of First Pioneers To Come Here From New York 100 Years Ago

One of the pioneers who came to Maquoketa in its first year, 100 years ago, was Jason Pangborn of Essex county, New York, who had left the East in April and arrived in Jacckson county in June, 1838.  Staking out his claim he built his first log cabin on the corner where the Sinclair Oil station now stands, on South Main street, across from the home now occupied by his only surviving son and daughter.

After building his cabin, he returned to the East and brought his wife and small family to their new home.

Born in 1807, he had had to work hard during his youth as his father had been killed in the War of 1812 and the government provided only a pensionof $1.00 a month until the lad reached the age of 12.

Mrs. Pangborn, courageous pioneer that she was, was totally blind when she came to Iowa, but she did her work and raised her family, suffering the hardships which the other early settlers also faced.  However, she died in 1855 and Mr. Pangborn later married Miss Sarah A. Abel, also of Essex county.  She was the mother of Miss Adelaide Pangborn and Herbert L. who still live in Maquoketa.  Mr. Pangborn, who was a member of the first city council in 1857, died in1888 at the age of 81.

Miss Adelaide, who is known affectionately to her friends as Addie, and who will be 81 on September 23, has lived all her life in the house in which she was born, at 602 South Main.  The house was erected in 1843, when Mr. Pangborn sold his first quarter-sectionof land, directly across the street, to Jason McCloy and purchased the land where the house now stands.  The deeds to these two parcels of land are prized possessions of the family.  While the house has been enlarged and modernized during Miss Addie's residence in it, it still retains some of the original timbers in the north part.

Herbert L., her younger brother, also lives in the old home.  He is the sexton at Mt. Hope cemetery, having held the position since 1901.

Part of the Pangborn homestead became a portion of the Maquoketa city plat, being known as "Pangborn's addition," which extends west from Main street to Fifth, and south to the city limits.

Miss Pangborn recalls the days when there were only two or three houses between their own and town.  She also remembers when the south part of town grew into a thriving business section, with the "Bon Ton" hotel as one of the south-end establishments.  The business later moved to the main commercial section, however.

Herbert Pangborn and his sister, Miss Addie, still have in their possession two land certificates obtained in 1848 by their father, Jason Pangborn, from the U. S. land office at Dubuque.  One dated February 1, 1848, is for 80 acres of land and the other, March 1, 1848, is for 160 acres.  Mr.and Mrs. Jason Pangborn were among the earliest settlers in this community.






SOURCE: Jackson Sentinal Centennial Edition - 1938