THE TOWNSHIPS –
AND WHEN ORGANIZED
The first election was held in
1852, all of the territory
included in both Risley and Yell counties was called Cass township. There seems to have been no legal authority
for the use of this name, but for that matter there was no legal
the election and the name Cass township was used, probably, because it
those in charge of the election.
In April, 1853, after the
organization of Webster county,
all of the territory within that county was legally named Washington
township. The following August, the
entire southern tier of congressional townships (known as township 86)
detached from Washington township and given the name of Hardin
township, and at
the same time the next tier north, being township 87, was also detached
Washington and named Webster. So at the
beginning of the year 1854, Webster country was composed of three
viz., Washington, composed of the north half of the county; Webster,
of all congressional townships numbered 87; and Hardin, composed of all
congressional township numbered 86.
In 1854, all of that part of
Washington township within the
present limits of Hamilton county was detached and named Boone, and it
all congressional townships numbered 88 and 89, in ranges 23-24-25 and
26. About the same time, congressional
86 and 87, in range 23 and probably also range 24, were detached from
and Hardin townships and named Clear Lake.
At the time of the organization of Hamilton county,
territory was divided into four townships, viz., Boone, Webster, Hardin
In March, 1858, the congressional
township 89, range, 23,
24, 25 and 26, was detached from Boone township and named Cass, and
six years after the name was first used, it became legally the name of
In 1861, the south line of Cass
township was moved one-half
mile north, and in connection with this action of the board of
Isaiah Doane tells the following amusing incident:
17, 1861, there was a
proposition presented to the board for removing the south line of Cass
to a little more respectful distance from Webster City, as it was then
correction line and ran through the city.
There seemed to be a sort of tacit, understanding
that the measure would
carry, and to the end that no legal laches might ever be found to
litigation, it was suggested that a resolution covering the case should
drawn by an attorney ‘learned in the law.’
Accordingly, one George R. Ammond, then with Jacob
Skinner, was called
in and ‘retained’ for the job. After due
deliberation and a look of great sapiency, he dashed off the following
resolution, the adoption of which was moved by Mr. Boak:
“ ‘Resolved, That all
part of Hamilton county, Iowa, lying half a mile north of the
in said county shall be known as, and shall constitute, the township of
“When the question was open for
discussion, the writer, with
his characteristic want of reverence for superior talents or position,
the point that the resolution, strictly construed, would not give Cass
an territory; that if, as intended, it cut off all territory within
less than a
half mile of the correction line, it would as effectually cut off all
lying more than a half mile from the correction line, and that thus the
township would be reduced to an imaginary line half a mile from, and
parallel with, the correction line. This
construction was opposed and ridiculed with much spirit by the young
but a part of the members agreed with the objector and a part thought
resolution sufficiently explicit; hence the discussion became animated,
quite a number of the professional men and literati of the city were
construe the meaning of the resolution; and like the board, they
widely and warmly as the original contestants.
Finally the motion was put to vote and the
resolution voted down by five
The board finally passed a
resolution giving to Cass
township, all of the territory in Hamilton county lying north of
running east and west one-half mile north of the correction line and
with said correction line.
In 1858, the townships of
Hamilton, Marion and Norway were
also organized. Hamilton received from
Webster township all of congressional township 87, range 25, and all of
part of the east third of township 87, range 26, lying south of Boone
river. From Boone township, it received
all of the
south tier of township in township 88, range 25, lying east of Boone
it also received from Clear Lake township (or from Webster, as there
be some uncertainty as to which township the territory transferred
sections 17, 18, 19, 20, 29, 30, 31, 32, and the south half of sections
7 and 8
in township 87, range 24. The following
July, Hamilton also received from Boone the southeast quarter of
To repay Webster township for the
territory transferred to
Hamilton, she was given from Boone township the south half of township
range 26, and all that part of sections 19, 30 and 31 in township 88,
lying west of Boone river.
Marion township received from
Hardin township, all of
congressional township 86, range 25 and 26, and all that part of
township lying south of Boone river, not previously assigned to
Hardin township was now extinct,
having been entirely
consumed in the appropriations of territory made to Clear Lake and
Norway township took from Clear
Lake all of congressional
township 86, range 23 and 24.
After the readjustment of 1858,
Hamilton county was composed
of seven townships, to-wit: Cass, Boone,
Webster, Hamilton, Clear Lake, Marion and Norway.
Wall Lake township was created
Oct. 20, 1860. It took from Norway
township all of township
86, range 24, except the east half of sections 1, 12, 13 and 24.
Grove township was created Sept.
3, 1861. It was cut off from Cass township
contained all of township 89, range 26, except the south half of the
of townships and sections 6, 7, 18, 19, 30 and the north half of 31 in
89, range 25. Grove township did not
exist, however, but a few hours at most, for on the same day it was
its name was changed to Fremont. At the
same meeting of the board, the name of Wall Lake township, which had
organized about a year before, was changed to Ellsworth and Clear Lake
changed to Lyon and Norway was changed to Scott.
The townships of Grove, Clear
Lake, Wall Lake and Norway had
now been wiped off the map and the county was composed of nine
wit: Fremont, Cass, Boone, Webster,
Hamilton, Lyon, Marion, Ellsworth and Scott.
June 5, 1862, that part of
township 86, range 24, which at
the time of the organization of Wall Lake township, except the east
of section 25 and 36 were transferred from Ellsworth to Scott.
Rose Grove township was organized
March 27, 1865. It was taken from Boone
originally comprised township 88 and the south one-twelfth of township
range 23, and the east two-thirds of township 88, and the south
sections 35 and 26 in the township 89, range 24.
Blairsburg township was organized
Sept. 3, 1867. It received from Rose
Grove, sections 1 to 12
inclusive of township 88, range, 23 and sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11
in township 88, range 24, and the south one-half of sections 31 to 36
township 89-23, and the south one-half of sections 35 and 26 in
range 24. It received from Cass township
the north one-half of sections 31 to 36, sections 25 to 30 and the
one-half of sections 19 to 24 in township 89, range 23.
November 20, 2868, the remainder
of township 89, range 23
was transferred from Cass to Blairsburg as was also the north
of the east one-third of township 89, range 24.
The name Clear Lake was revived
June 3, 1868, when that
township was organized, taking from Marion all of township 86, range 25.
Lincoln township was organized
June 7, 1875. it was taken from Lyon and
received all of
township 87, range 23. On the same day
all that part of Hamilton township located in township 87, range 24,
transferred to Lyon.
Williams township was organized
Sept. 6, 1876. It received from Blairsburg
township all of
township 89, range 23, that was not then a part of Rose Grove township. On the same day Blairsburg township received
from Boone township the south one-half of section 33 and 34, township
24, and sections 5, 6, 7 and 8, township 88, range 24; and from Cass,
remainder of the middle third of township 89, range 24.
Liberty township was organized
Sept. 6, 1882, and at the
same time, the township lines of several townships were readjusted to
to congressional lines, and to do this, the board of supervisors passed
have been presented to this board asking that the boundary lines of the
township boundaries in the north and east part of the county by changed
to conform more nearly to congressional township lines, and in order to
out the wishes of the petitioners as nearly as possible, and make the
uniform in size and shape, be and it is ordered by this board that
(1), two (2), three (3), four (4), five (5), six (6), seven (7), eight
nine (9), ten (10), eleven (11) and twelve (12) north of range
(23), west of the fifth principal meridian, Iowa, be severed from the
township of Williams, and attached to the township of Rose Grove.
“It is further
sections six (6), seven (7), eighteen (18), nineteen (19), thirty (30)
thirty-one (31), in township eighty-nine (89), north of range
(23), west of the fifth principal meridian, Iowa, be severed from the
township of Blairsburg and attached to the township of Williams.
“It is further ordered the
sections five (5), six (6), seven (7), eight (8), seventeen (17),
(18), nineteen (19), twenty (20), twenty-nine (29) and thirty (30), and
north one-half (1/2) of sections thirty-one (31) and thirty-two (32),
township eighty-nine (89), north of range twenty-four (24), west of the
principal meridian, Iowa, be severed from the civil township of Cass,
attached to the township of Blairsburg.
“It is further ordered that
sections: north one-half (1/2) of sections thirty-one (31) and
in township eighty-nine (89), north of range twenty-four (24), west of
fifth principal meridian, Iowa, be severed from the civil township of
Blairsburg, and sections thirteen (13), fourteen (14), fifteen (15),
(16), twenty-one (21), twenty-two(22), twenty-three (23), twenty-four
twenty-five (25), twenty-six (26), twenty-seven (27), twenty-eight
(33), thirty-four (34), thirty-five (35), thirty-six (36), township
eighty-eight (88), north of range twenty-four (24), west of the fifth
meridian, Iowa, form the civil township of Rose Grove, and sections
(17), eighteen (18), nineteen (19), twenty (20), twenty-nine(29),
thirty-one (31) and thirty-two (2), in township eighty-eight (88),
range twenty-four (24), west of the fifth principal meridian, Iowa,
civil township of Boone, which together constitute the congressional
eighty-eight (88), north of range twenty-four (24), west of the fifth
meridian, Iowa, is hereby created a new civil township of Hamilton
Iowa, to be know by the name of Liberty.
“It is further ordered that the
southeast quarter of section thirty (30), all of section thirty-one
except the southwest quarter of the southwest quarter and all of
thirty-two (32), thirty-three (33), thirty-four (34), thirty-five (35)
thirty-six (36), in township eighty-eight (88), north of range
(25), west of the fifth principal meridian, Iowa, be severed from the
of Hamilton and attached to the civil township of Boone.
“It is further ordered that the
southwest quarter of section thirty-one (31) and the south half of
thirty-four (34), thirty-five (35) and thirty-six (36), in township
(89), north of range twenty-five (25), west of the fifth principal
Iowa, be severed from the civil township of Boone and attached to the
“It is further ordered that
sections six (6), seven (7), eighteen (18), nineteen (19), and thirty
the north half of thirty-one (31), be severed from the civil township
Fremont and attached to the township of Cass.
“It is further ordered that the
south one-half of sections thirty-three (33), thirty-four (34),
(35) and thirty-six (36), be severed from the civil township of Boone
attached to the township of Fremont.
is being the intention that the civil township of Rose Grove shall
the congressional township eighty-eight (88), range twenty-three (23),
civil township of Williams shall constitute the congressional township
eighty-nine (89), range twenty-three (23); that the civil township of
Blairsburg shall constitute the congressional township eighty-nine
twenty-four (24), that the civil township of Liberty shall constitute
congressional township eighty-eight (88), range twenty-four (24); that
civil township of Cass shall constitute the congressional township
(89), range twenty-five (25), excepting so much as is within the
of Webster City; that the civil township of Fremont shall constitute
eighty-nine (89), range twenty-six (26), west of the fifth principal
Iowa, and that the boundary line of Boone and Hamilton townships shall
to the congressional township line of eighty-seven (87) and
“It is further ordered that the
new civil township of Liberty shall hold its first election at the
situated on the southeast quarter of section sixteen (16) in said
said election to be held on the seventh day of November, A. D., 1882,
Tuesday next after the first Monday of said month, at which election
shall be elected as officers of said township of Liberty, three
clerk, one assessor, two justices of the peace and two constables, and
following named persons shall act as officers of said election: James L. Dunn, George Castner, and Jacob
Brinkema shall act as judges; and D. M. Kelly and M. L. Root shall act
Independence township was
organized Jan. 4, 1883, and was
taken from Boone, Webster and Hamilton townships. It
contained all of the congressional
township of 88, range 25, except section 6 and the north one-half of
which remained a part of Boone township.
Freedom township was organized
Jan. 11, 1884. The resolution of the Board
organizing this township and readjusting the lines of Boone, Webster
Hamilton townships is as follows:
“Whereas, A petition
been filed in the office of the county auditor purporting to be signed
majority of the legal voters residing in the congressional township
eighty-eight (88), north of range twenty-six (26), west of the fifth
meridian, Iowa, exclusive of the corporation of Webster City, to
consist of the
above described territory, and whereas said petition has been sworn to
by A. A.
Wicks, Morris Smith and Wm. A. Powell, to the effect that all the
thereto were bona fide residents of the territory above described at
said signatures were attached; and
“Whereas, Notice has been give by
publication in the Hamilton Freeman for two consecutive weeks previous
date ten days prior to the day set for final hearing before the board
supervisors; and whereas, it is the opinion of this board of
all the legal requirements in the premises have been fulfilled. It is hereby ordered that said petitions be
granted, and that sections three (3), four (4), five (5), six (6),
eight (8), nine (9), ten (10), the south half of fourteen (14), all of
(15), sixteen (16), seventeen (17) and eighteen (18), in township
(88), north of range twenty-six (26) west, be severed from the civil
eighty-eight (88), north of range twenty-six (26), west of the fifth
meridian, Iowa, be severed from the civil township of Webster and
organized into a new civil township of Hamilton county, to be known by
“It is further ordered that said
township shall hold its first election at the residence of Morris
situated on the southeast quarter of section sixteen (16), in said
said election to be held on the 4th day of November, A. D.,
being the Tuesday next succeeding the first Monday of said month; at
election there shall be elected as officers of said township, three
one clerk, one assessor, two justices of the peace, and two constables. The following named persons shall act as
officers of said election: William
Beerman, Clement Robbins and Emery Gordon shall act as judges; and Geo.
Daniels and W. A. Powell shall act as clerks.
“It is further ordered that
sections five (5), south half of seven (7), all of eight (8), the north
seventeen (17) and the north half of north half of southwest quarter of
eighteen (18), in township eighty-eight (88), north of range
west, be severed from the civil township of Independence, and the
quarter of section thirty-one (31) and the south half of thirty-four
township eighty-nine (89), north of range twenty-five (25), from the
township of Cass, and the east half of the southeast quarter of section
thirty-six (36), in township eighty-nine (89), north of range
west of the fifth principal meridian, from the civil township of
together attached to the civil township of Boone.
“It is further ordered that the
southeast quarter of section 1, the southeast quarter of section 11,
sections 12, 13, 14, 23, 24, 25, 26, 35, 36, in township 87, north of
west, be severed from the civil township of Hamilton; and that the
of the northeast quarter, the southeast quarter of the southwest
the southeast quarter of section 15, the southwest quarter of the
quarter of section 16, the south half of
the southeast of section 17, the east half of section 20, the west half
northeast quarter, the west half of the northwest quarter, the
quarter of the northwest quarter and the south one-half of section 21,
northeast quarter, the east half of the northwest quarter and the south
section 22, all of sections 27, 28 and 29, the south half of the
quarter, the southwest quarter and the east half of the southeast
section 30, and all of sections 31, 32, 33 and 34 in township 87, north
range 26, be severed from the civil township of Marion, and together
to the civil township of Webster, thereby making the said township of
comprise the congressional township 87, range 26, west of the fifth
the end, Hamilton county has seventeen townships,
viz.: Boone, which is coextensive with
the city of Webster City in area; Fremont, Cass, Blairsburg, Williams,
Grove, Liberty, Independence, Freedom, Webster, Hamilton, Lyon,
Ellsworth, Clear Lake and Marion, each, with the exception of the
surrounding Webster City, corresponding in extent with the
Township now includes
congressional township 89, range 26, with an area of 36 square miles. The surface of the earth is uniformly level,
and the soil is a rich black loam.
Formerly it contained much swamp land, but in recent
years the great
Brietenkamp – Gannon Drain, with its laterals – has furnished an outlet
drainage and the swamp land has been nearly all reclaimed.
earliest settlements in this
township were in its eastern and northern portions.
The first settler in Fremont township was
undoubtedly Jacob W. Paine, who opened up and improved the farm now
C. A. Howd on Boone river in 1854. He
was followed closely by W. W. Boak.
Later in 1856 came the McLaughlins, and in 1857 N.
H. Hellen opened a
large farm in the northern part of the township. No
doubt N. H. Hellen was one of the most picturesque
and dashing of pioneer characters. He
dressed the part of the pioneer according to the most approved literary
ideals. He is described as riding
horseback into Webster City, dressed in black trousers, riding boots
reached his knees, red shirt, with pistol and bowiknife strapped at his
and wearing a broad brimmed white hat that covered a head of thick,
1863 Fremont township had a
population of 74 people. This steadily
increased until 1880, when she supported 685 souls, and in 1910 the
had increased to much higher figures.
only postoffice in Fremont
township is Highview. This little
village consists of a depot, an elevator and a store.
congressional township 89, range 25 and is the home of the oldest
the northern part of the county. The
first settlers were Peter Lyon, the Stanly family and Patrick Frakes
family. Soon after the Frakes came,
Horace and Benjamin Seager, L. B. Hill, Zera Hayden, A. Haswell, John
Reuben Bennett and W. D. McFerren and many others and in several cases
descendants of these pioneers own and manage farms their fathers or
grandfathers settled upon.
surface of Cass township is
broken by the Boone river through the western tier of sections, and by
Fox creed through its center, so that land is more rolling and was
better drained than the townships on either side of it.
The river and the creek were both skirted
with timber and this feature, too, encouraged the early settler to stop
locality where he could have a natural grove to protect his buildings
have rich prairie land upon which to raise his crops.
1856 the population of Cass
township is given at 254, but it must be remembered that at that time
township had not been legally organized and it is almost impossible to
what territory was included by the census taker. The
population in 1880 after the township had
been reduced almost to its present size was 592. There
are no towns in Cass township, its
nearest trading points are Woolstock, in Wright county, and Webster
City. The population of the township in
707, composed almost entirely of thrifty and prosperous farmers.
after hovering around in a
rather unstable manner over the eastern part of the county, finally
congressional township 89, range 24. Its
surface was from level to gently rolling and quite liberally supplied
small ponds or sloughs. As there were no
streams of consequence through the township, it was comparatively slow
development and did not make any great progress until after the
building of the
Great Farley Drainage ditch, which is its main outlet for drainage. In later years, Blairsburg township has been
entirely covered with a network of drainage systems and now no township
county can show a greater percentage of tillable land.
township was the home of
the great Lemert Percheron horse farm that was established in 1883 and
conducted with success for several years.
Business interests finally call Col. Lemert back to
Ohio and the horse
business was abandoned.
principal postoffice in
Blairsburg township is in Blairsburg. It
was platted by John I. Blair, Nov. 11, 1869.
For years the town made little progress, it being
simply a trading point
for the surrounding farming country. In
1892 R. J. McVicker and H. C. Tuttle platted the McVicker and Tuttle
and a year later laid out a second addition and in 1907 the Varick C.
addition was added.
many years the business of the
town was conducted largely by Sol. Morrison, J. C. McNee, _____Brown,
Powers, G. A. Walrath and Wilse McNee.
population of the town of
Blairsburg in 1880 was 44, and in 1910 241.
Blairsburg was incorporated December 21, 1900. C. M. Powers was the first mayor, and since
his term expired the following citizens have served:
C. P. McVicker, G. E. Conoway, P. E. Saxie,
O. A. Kellogg, A. B. McNabb, and G. W. Cooper, who is mayor at the
occupies township 89, range
23. The first settler in the township
was Henry Draper, who took up a homestead on section 18, in the spring
and during that year there settled in the township Isaiah Jaycox, Tom
Mike McDonald, Geo. Mann, Pete Laford, Calvin Wheeler, Wm. Pabboldt, E.
Searls, James Francis, James Conley and a Mr. Wilcox.
The Illinois Central Railroad was built
through the township in 1868. Early in the
spring other settlers began to arrive, among them being E. Crabtree, H.
Orris, I. H. Brown, Samuel H. Robbins, J. E. Frost, Mrs. C. A. Wyatt
sons, S. D. and J. K. Wyatt, P. Doyle, Steve Clayton and Michael
Cunningham. During the winter of 1869,
the building of the present railroad depot was commenced, and nearly
by Taylor Brothers of Alden, but it was not finally completed and
business until in August or September, 1869.
Il H. Brown became the station agent and soon
afterwards a postoffice
was established and Mr. Brown became the
Among the first settlers
that took up a residence
within the township were S. M. Shaeffer, family and mother, E. Wesler,
Frank, B. Haijsman, Frank Leigh and father and Geo. Frost, Albert
Drizhal, Zimmons, Robeck, Sooboby and J. M. Houghtaling.
In the years thereafter
settlers came into the
township and opened up farms or started business in the village until
of the lands in the township are taken up and improved.
The town of Williams was
laid out in 1869 by John I.
Blair, and Pete Laford has the distinction of being the first resident
the limits of the town. His was the only
house in the town at the time of the building of the depot. In the spring of 1870 Geo. Frost settled in
the town and opened the first store. It
was a general store, carrying in its line not a large, but a varied
including almost everything that was called for by the settlers. He also opened a lumber yard and bought
grain, and sold coal and wood. He held
the field alone for about two years. In
the fall of 1871 or the winter of 1872 the Grangers built a warehouse
making arrangements to buy grain. Prior
to that time the grain purchased had been stored in the ware rooms of
depot. In 1872 O. J. Dutton settled in
Williams and opened a general store and purchased the grange warehouse
began to deal in grain. In 1874 L. L.
Cady came and opened the first blacksmith and repair shop.
In 1875 the firm of
Smelser & Martin bought out
the Dutton stock and building and moved the building to Main street. This was the first building located on Main
street, where almost all the business is now transacted.
During the winter of
874-5 C. M. Mattice built the
large elevator on the railroad grounds at the north end of Main street,
side, and also opened a larger lumber yard and began an extensive
grain and lumber in the summer of 1875.
During the spring and
shortly after Smelser &
Martin had moved to Main street, T. D. Willson, and W. A. Carns came
the second business building on Main street and opened a general store. These buildings were on the west side of the
street. A little later J. W. Thompson
came and built upon the ease side of Main street, the first building on
side, and opened a hardware store.
Fenton and Stone put up the next building on the
west side of the street
and opened a drug store and following him closely came J. G.
building a house and opening in it a furniture store.
During this year (1875) O. N. Silvenail built
the first hotel, a very much needed and welcome improvement, and J. E.
built a store building on the east side of Main street.
Elias Clay built a restaurant building on the
west side and it was opened and run by James Lampson.
John Bennetto also built a wagon shop on the
west side. This is practically all the
business building erected during the year, and they presented quite a
where in the beginning only three or four houses were to be seen. In the meantime several residences had been
put up and the citizens looked forward to a lively business the next
The first building for
1876 was put up by Henry
Franks, who left his farm and opened a carpenter shop, which at a later
he converted into an agricultural warehouse and embarked in that
From this time forward
the work of building up the
town went on more slowly than formerly, but none the less steady, and
all of a
more permanent and substantial kind. The
boon in building business houses had subsided, but residences were
up. In January, 1877, H. H. Johnson
attracted by the location and bright prospects in view, located in the
began the publication of a newspaper, the Williams Standard. It was a live paper, and in the beginning
received fair support, but the future growth of the town had been
overestimated, and there was not patronage enough to support a paper
project had to be abandoned after about two years’ trial.
classes of business were represented in the town;
the country round
about was settling up with thrifty and industrious class of farmers,
business settled down to a permanent, but growing basis, and the
town and township went along in an ordinary way until February, 1882,
disastrous fire occurred, sweeping out of existence at one more than
the business part of the town, taking all of the business buildings on
side of Main street except two. The fire
started in Pat Maloy’s saloon. In about
an hour’s time the town was in ruins.
The principal losers were the Martin estate, S. S.
Morrison, Pat Maloy,
Mrs. Ann Carus, Fred Volenweider, J. M. George, A. Rawhorter, J. M.
Houghtaling, Chas. Draper, Frost & Co., Willis Orres and J. W.
After the fire a public
meeting was held protesting
against the reopening of any saloon or place where intoxicating liquors
be sold and the protest bore the names of over one hundred persons. Williams was incorporated October 22,
1883. Oct 22, 1883, Williams held its
first town election and elected for mayor, B. F. Corbin; recorder, L.
Gerber; and trustees, J. E. Frost, Fred Biesner, E. Crabtree, H. N.
There being some doubt as
to the legality of the
incorporation in the spring of 1883, the legislature passed an “Act to
the incorporation of the town of Williams in Hamilton County, Iowa.”
Mayor Corbin was
reelected in 1885 and in 1885,
William Allenson became mayor. He was
succeeded in 1886 by J. M. George. E.
Crabtree presided over the officers of the city in 1887 and in 1888, J.
Watson in 1889, H. N. Johnson in 1890, John Bennetto in 1891 and Ira
1892. In 1893 B. F. Corbin was again
elected mayor and held the office for the three terms, 1893, 1894, and
1895. Then A. J. Simpson was elected for
1896 and 1897. Walter H. Hellen was
mayor in 1898 and was reelected in 1899.
E. I. Johnson presided in 1900 and A. J. Ripley in
1902. H. F. Willie was then mayor until
Wm. Whistler was elected. He resigned
before the expiration of his term and h. F. Willie was again elected. The mayor at the present time is William
In August, 1887, W. A.
Hutton started the Williams
Herald, but in December following it suspended.
In 1891 Wm. R. Pooley
commenced the publication of
the Williams Reporter and continued its publication for several years. In 1897 the Wasp was started and some years
later the Hornet.
Rose Grove Township
comprises the congressional
township of 88, range 23. In early days
it was the home of the famous Rose Grove farm and of its owner and
Judge Rose. While in pioneer days there
was quite a settlement in the vicinity of “Rose Grove,” it was the last
township in the county to become fully settled and in this township the
entry of public land was made. The
population of the township in 1869 was 65.
In 1880 it had increased to 267 and in 1905 it
people. One of the first great drainage
projects, that of the drainage of Iowa lake, was consummated in Rose
township. There are no postoffices or
railroad stations in the township. Its
principal trading point is Williams.
Township occupies township 88, range
24. It has a “backbone” of “Morainic
Hills” running through its center and on either side of these hills was
considerable marshy land. Liberty
township was settled largely by people of German descent and thus, as a
consequence, the land has been brought to a high state of cultivation. There are no postoffices in Liberty township,
its principal trading points being Blairsburg and Kamrar.
Liberty had a population of 468 in 1885 and
in 1905, 620.
Independence township is
the home of some of the
earliest settlers in the county. It was
in this township that Willson Brewer and the Isaac Lyon’s first settled. Later James Adams moved in and J. F.
McConnell and Hiram Carpenter came up from the southern part of the
made their permanent homes. The sons of
these men now live on the farms their fathers founded.
Independence was also the home of two mills,
the Sternberg Mill and Bone’s Mill, and in early days it furnished its
coal for local consumption. Its
principal trading point is Kamrar. This
town was platted by the Western Town Lot Company November 28, 1881. It is located in the north half of section
35. During the eighties W. H. Howard was
the principal business man of the place.
For years he and his sons operated a store, elevator
yard. It is claimed by old settlers that
the Howard boys went into business as soon as they were old enough to
plain and the precision and tact in a business way shown by these
fellows was one of the marvels of the time.
The population of Independence township, in 1885 was
649. In 1902 Pierce’s addition to
platted and in 1903 Carmoney’s addition was added.
The population of Kamrar in 1910 was
262. Independence township occupies
congressional township 88, range 25 except a small portion within the
Freedom Township was the
home of the Williams,
Silvers, Barrs, and on account of its being close to the river on its
to the town of Homer was the scene of our earliest history.
The surface of Freedom
township is very level, so
level in fact that perfect drainage was for a long time thought to be
impossible for some portions of the township.
Of late years the Fardal drainage system has worked
wonders in the way
of converting wet, marshy lands into rich well tiled farms.
This township occupies
congressional township 88,
range 26 except a small portion in the northeast corner included in the
1885 Freedom township had a population of
507. In 1905, 540.
Boone township is
coextensive with Webster City in
extent and is a political organization for the sole purpose of electing
justices of the peace and constables.
The history of Webster City is therefore the history
of Boone township
as it now exists. But perhaps this is
the proper place to call attention to a record of public service in
with this township that is as unique and unusual as it is meritorious. In 1874 Percival Knowles was elected justice
of the peace for Boone township; at the end of his term he was
reelected. Then he was reelected again and
again and nor
after almost forty years he still holds the office and has held it
since his first election. During the
last thirty years his elections have come to him regularly without
and this too in the face of the fact that Webster City has been almost
continuously in the throes of a town fight that stirred up opposition
every candidate or measure proposed.
Squire Knowles’ administration of the office has
satisfaction. His decisions are usually
just and are seldom appealed from. The
present indication are that this judicial office, though elective, will
by the present incumbent until his official tenure is terminated by
This record in itself is
a high compliment to the
ability and integrity of “Squire” Percival Knowles, and entitles him to
rank among the historical characters of Hamilton county.
Webster Township was the
home of the first settler,
Preston C. Bell, and within its borders was located the historic town
Homer. The history of the early
settlement of the county is practically a history of Webster township. It is rich in natural advantages.
It has land, timber, coal, stone, clay, but
no railroad. For years Webster township
has wanted a railroad, and its people have always been liberal in
public aid, but without success. When a
railroad comes, this township will be rich beyond the dreams of the
Homer will grow again. Homer, at one
time the largest city in northern Iowa, has two store, a schoolhouse,
churches and a blacksmith shop. Its
buildings are those erected form fifty to sixty years ago.
A new house in Homer would be a decided
sensation. The farms adjoining Homer are
adorned by costly buildings, but within the fatal limits of Homer, the
buildings are all black with age and are of the style of a half century
Webster township occupies
congressional township 87,
occupies township 87, range
25. Among its earliest pioneers were
Jackson Groves, Chas. Albright, Robt. Riley and the Cary’s
In its beginning this township was filled
with ponds and sloughs which actually made the trapping of muskrats
profitable than farming. But corn and
was a necessity of life and so the high knolls were broken up and
for thirty years the knolls were farmed while fully half the land was
to swamp, sloughs and wet, sour places that would raise nothing but
slough grass and furnish a breeding place for mosquitoes and muskrats. With the twentieth century came the great
drainage era. Hamilton township alone
expended $160,000.00 for a public drainage system and as much more for
tiling, and today almost every acre in the township is susceptible of
cultivation in such crops as corn, oats and potatoes.
One who had never seen
the old condition would not
believe such waste could exist for so many years, and one who had never
the new condition would be loath to believe that Hamilton township of
covered precisely the same territory that it did twenty years ago, so
has been the change. And just fully as
radical has been the change in price of land, for land that was a “drug
market” twenty years ago at $25 per acre, can now be readily sold at
acre, and the cause of it all is drainage.
Lyon Township occupies
congressional township 87,
range 24. It owed its distinction in
pioneer time to the fact that Skunk river, with its fringe of beautiful
woodland coursed through its eastern border.
Lyon township was the home of the Lakins, who first
settled within its
borders in 1855. But the “Timber Land”
was very limited and the prairie country did not settle up very rapidly. However, in 1863, its population was 81; in
1870, 188; in 1875, 275; and in 1880, when the railroad arrived, 673. In 1905, outside of Jewell and Ellsworth,
629, while Jewell had a population of 958.
Lyon township had its
first boom of consequence as a
result of the prospective arrival of the Chicago and North Western
1880. Jewell Junction was laid out by
David T. Jewell and residence lots were offered at $25 each and
at $100 each. Jewell grew rapidly from
the start and about one year after lots were offered for sale. A correspondent to the Freeman gives the
following description of the town which is full of interesting matter:
A little more than a year ago this thriving
town consisted principally
of “railroad shanties,” but a few enterprising men soon came here to
town. Mr. Hoppus moved his meat market
over from Callanan, Mr. Lauritson was already on the ground; George
H. Rhodearmel, L. E. Lanning and Warburton Bros. Put up buildings; Mr.
rented Ed. Sporiedear’s house, Mr. Mead and family occupied the depot,
“business” commenced. Mr. Stuart was
painter, and kept a small stock of groceries; Mr. Lanning was grocer
Warburton had hardware.
In January of the present year, Mr. Strong
and William Stevens each
built a lumber office, and Mr. Cooper, postoffice and residence, both
building. After that, houses were moved
over from Callanan, one by one, occasionally, as the storms would
moving invariably followed by a storm and intense cold.
In February, Rev. Mr. Van Emans, of Williams,
came and preached the
first sermon in Mr. Rhodearmel’s drug store; formed a small society of
Christians as were her, and organized a Union Sunday School. There was an occasional meeting for singing
and sociability. The death of Dr.
McDonald in March, brought the people together in a nearer acquaintance
sympathy than anything else had done.
The long blockade of the railroad left the
place without mail, and one
might as well have been in Sahara or rather Greenland, so far as
anything that was going on in the world was concerned.
It also reduced supplies till fuel was quite
exhausted, and meat and bread were about all the provisions to be had,
to Mr. Hoppus for the meat he always managed to have on hand. At one time there was not a pound of sugar in
the groceries, and everybody was out.
But the long winter finally wore away, the blockade
was raised and
business commenced. People came and
began to build new houses, and more houses were brought from Callanan. Mr. Gillman built his hotel, Mr. King, Mr.
New, Mr. Miller and others, put up two-story buildings, the lower story
stores, and the upper for dwellings. Mr.
New soon had his grocery started, followed by Mr. Waite’s dry-goods
store. There are now four dry-goods.
Stores. Crosby and Virtue occupy a large,
room in Rev. Mr. Rankin’s building, filled with good stock; J. G.
his own building on the opposite side of the street; Waite & King
depot, with such a variety that it looks as though you might find
were pleased to call for; S. G. Layne, in a smaller room, but packed
things “too numerous to mention,” are all doing a thriving business.
S. M. New and John Clark deal in groceries,
crockery, etc., and it
would be hard to tell which is most popular.
Two firms deal in hardware and tinware.
Burge & Atherton give exclusive attention to the
Warburton Bros. Add groceries and agricultural implements.
Both are straightforward, square dealing
J. M. Strong and William Stevens are the
popular lumber dealers, both
keeping as large stocks as the means of supply and the great demand
The disciples of Aesculapius are Dr. J. G.
Wheat and Dr. F. J. Will;
Dr. Wheat giving the most of his attention to his drug store, dividing
favor in that branch with Mr. Rodearmel.
G. W. Blank keeps the meat market, with Mr.
Hoppus for assistant. Mr. Gillman is
proprietor of the Gillman
House, A. Anderson of the Skandinaven, and G. R. Everitt has just taken
possession of the City Hotel. All these
houses are well kept, and both landlords and ladies know how to please
Mr. Tallman is jeweler, having his office in
Waite & King’s
store. During the summer months when the
people were more intent on houses to live and work in than on jewelry
trinkets, he turned an honest penny and served his country by swinging
paint brush. Since cold weather he has
retired to his shop, where he will be happy to meet all who need his
in clock or watch repairing, or any other work in his line.
Atkinson & Company run the elevator. W. J. Chamberlin, Cary Brothers and S. H.
Hagan, buy cattle and hogs.
Fail & Blank and A. B. Barnes & Son,
Mrs. C. A. Strong and Mrs. S. E. Haight deal
in sewing machines.
Mrs. Haight and Mrs. D. A. Kinsey supply the
ladies of town and country
George Kinsey, R. Bond and R. M. Johnson do
mason work of all kinds.
The carpenters are Messrs. Richey, Bond,
Sandage, Breniyer, Beckman,
Stuland, and others. Indeed, so great
has been the demand for carpenter work, that anyone not otherwise
could use a saw, plane and hammer was, presto, a carpenter.
G. M. Barkhuff is wagon maker, Mr. Finch
blacksmith and wagon
repairer. Charles Glamman is another son
O. A. Borway keeps the boots and shoes in
repair, and makes new ones to
Don Terry runs a dray. Messrs.
Lauritson, Hamaker and H. C. Larson do teaming.
Lest someone looking for a good location for
a saloon should think us
unprovided, I will say we have three, which abundantly supply the place.
P. J. Johnson is cabinet-maker, Johnson Mead
and J. R. King deal in
coal, and S. L. Sage teaches the village school. “Tip”
Haight, W. T. Fraizier, and S. L. Sage
are the expounders of Coke and Blackstone, and their erudition and
are often highly displayed in the justice courts of the place, to the
satisfaction of their clients. Haight
and Fraizier are also notaries public.
J. T. Haight and J. C. Klotzbach maintain the
dignity of the law as
justices of the peace.
Rev. J. M. Rankin, Methodist, preaches here
once in two weeks,
alternating with Rev. Mr. Van Emmans, Presbyterian, from Williams.
In 1884, the Jewell Record was founded by
Savage & Savage, and was
first issued as a six column folio. In
1885 Jewell had a population of 384 and Lyon township, exclusive of
a population of 673.
Jewell has prospered from the start, new
additions have been added to
the town, new brick buildings have taken the place of the old wooden
churches have been erected, a college has been established and some of
finest residences in the county shelter the families of its business
In the meantime, the drainage of Mud lake has
added a great deal of
rich farm land to Lyon township
Lincoln Township occupies
congressional township 87,
range 23. The character of the surface
was generally level, filled with the usual liberal allowance of
when drained, are readily converted into the richest of farm lands. The principal town in Lincoln is
Ellsworth. This town was platted in 1880
and at once began to grow. The
population of Lincoln township in 1880 was 395 and in 1889, 579, and in
888. Ellsworth has grown steadily. Its population in 1905, was 418.
A correspondent to the
Freeman in 1881, describes
Ellsworth as follows:
Ellsworth is a reality at last and has been
duly recognized as having
an existence by the postoffice department, and John Ringstad is
with his office in Thoreson & Company’s store.
S. G. Johnson & Company (with A. R.
Caudle as the company), have
taken time by the forelock and with a commendable degree of energy have
established themselves in their own building, which was removed by
Jerry Keyzer from Callanan.
Mr. Jondahl is building a substantial
dwelling and store combined, in
which he proposes to place a stock of furniture at an early day.
Thoreson & Company, after many trails and
succeeded in planting the bisected Callanan store upon their lot in
and in order to accommodate their increasing trade, sandwiched an
twenty feet between the separated ends of their former building, and
have a large, roomy and convenient place of business.
Hoy’s “Eagle Hotel”, after much hard tugging
and vexatious delays, has
at last found a resting place on an eligible site and will soon be
made ready for the accommodation of the traveling public.
Peter Ryberg has removed from the “Grove” and
is in full blast,
associated with Peter Stein, who runs a wagon shop of Ryberg.
A gentleman from Boone has opened a butcher
shop and is actively at
work erecting a story and a half front, which will give him ample
for the transaction of his business. He
comes well prepared with all the appliances of his trade and will
William Richards, Simon Fritzon and Cragewich
& Lyders are grain
buyers, and their work is well attested by huge cribs of corn already
overflowing and yet large quantities of corn to be delivered during the
Harry Byers and Cragewick & Lyders are
our lumber dealers, and good
stocks are found on both yards at fair rates.
Charley Lakin has removed from Callanan, and
is prepared to furnish a
good harness or anything in that line, as well as to act the “artist
tonsorial,” which he can do in first class manner.
Two saloons stand on opposite sides of the
street, scowling grim
defiance to each other in the early morning, growing “mellower” as the
wears on and potations begin to do their “work,” and at night the
shadows between meet in maudlin embrace beneath the pale moon, while
seems let loose as the welkin resounds with revelry – fit progeny of
Scott Township is located
in the southeast corner of
the county comprising congressional township 86, range 23.
The sight of the rolling prairies of this
township must have been a cause of joy to the settler who had been
westward course through swamps and sloughs in search of the promised
land. The first settlers in this township
Sheldahl, who came in ’55 and Alexander Starry, who entered land in
section 30. Anders Christenson, Peter
Larson and Lars
Henderson, who came early in 1857, and they were followed very closely
Henryson, who came with his family the next year and settled in section
buying the farm of Alexander Starry, where he lived until his death,
occurred in 1896. Among other early
settlers might be mentioned the Eglands, Oaks, Charlsons, Anfinsons,
and Chadwicks. These men were Norwegians
by birth and were instrumental in founding the great Norwegian
ahs played so important a part in the history of Hamilton county, In
Scott township had a population of 103, and it continued to increase in
population with each succeeding census until, 1905, it had increased to
949. Scott township has no towns within
its borders and is given up entirely to farming.
includes township 86, range
24. The first settlers in this township
were Henry and George Staley, who came in 1855.
Christ Peterson and Linsey Sowers came in 1857 and
John A. Cooper in
1859. In 1863, Ellsworth township had a
population of 53 and this steadily increased until 1880 it had a
803. Callanan was located in this
township. When the Chicago &
Railway arrived, the Callanan population was largely transferred to
Ellsworth. But Randall was platted in
1882 and notwithstanding the loss of population caused by the moving
Callanan, in 1895, there were 956 people living in Ellsworth township. The people who settled Ellsworth were largely
emigrants from Norway. In 1905 Ellsworth
township had a population of 1, 007, it being one of the most populous
townships in the county.
The principal trading
points are Jewell and
Randall. The pioneer business man of
Randall is Geo. P. Christenson, who, in company with his father, C. P.
Christenson, H. L. Henderson and S. Seymour, organized the Randall
which did all the business of Randall for about five years. Then the company divided, the Christenson’s
taking the grain, coal and banking business, while the general
conducted by Seymour & Henderson, a firm composed of H. L.
Seymour, O. L. Henderson and M. L. Henderson.
This firm continued in business for about six years;
W. H. Weir then ran
a general store for awhile, and he was succeeded by Peterson and the
Christensons. Randall has never been
incorporated and is governed by the Ellsworth township officers.
Clear Lake Township
occupies township 86, range
25. So far as topography is concerned,
the south half of Clear Lake township presents the finest stretch of
be found in Hamilton county. Its surface
is gently rolling and a great deal of the land is naturally well
drained. The first settler in Clear Lake
probably W. H. Frazier, who came to Hamilton county in 1856.
Stanhope was laid out by
the Western Town Lot
Company in October, 1883. It was
incorporated in December, 1897. The
first mayor was H. E. Fardall. The first
town council consisted of A. F. Swanson, J. S. Williams, Iver Johnson,
Hamaker, William Taylor and L. J. Stark.
At the first election, thirty votes were cast and
the above officers
were unanimously elected.
Marion Township occupies
township 86, range 26. By reason of its
location near Des Moines
river, perhaps accounts for its being settled earlier than many other
townships. Among its prominent pioneers
are Geo. W. Hook, who came in 1853, W. H. McKinney, who came in 1857,
and A. G.
Barquest, who came in 1858. The people
of Marion are largely of Swedish descent.
Stratford is its principal town.
It was founded in October, 1880.
In order that a proper idea may be given of the
pioneer merchants, the
attention of the reader is invited to a descriptive article written for
Freeman in 1881:
A correct idea of the growth of this place
may be obtained from the
fact that on last Christmas day not a square foot of lumber could be
the town site; now no less than ten business houses are open and doing
steady, lively business. In addition to
these there are two first-class hotels, one open and in good running
the other almost completed. The
“Stratford House” is first-class, having all the accompaniments for the
and convenience of the traveling public.
Mr. Dawson, the proprietor, and his amiable lady are
by nature and education for their vocation.
Anson Deo, the old true and tried, has at
last landed his hotel
building gin its final resting place, and will soon spread his viands
sumptuous tables, for many old and new patrons.
If industry and perseverance are signs of success,
Mr. Deo will attain
to a large measure of it.
J. W. Near, the lively old Hook’s Pointer,
has opened a mammoth stock
of drugs in his large building on Shakespeare avenue, where he will be
freshly powdered and perfumed ready to do any work in his line.
Stratford has a corps of physicians second to
none in the state. Dr. Chamberlain has
resided here several
years – acquired a good practice and is too well known to need further
Dr. Morrison is a young man of scholarly
attainments and during the
short time that he has been here, has won an enviable reputation in the
treatment of disease.
Dr. W. N. Green is also a young man of
splendid ability and rare culture;
he has succeeded in winning for himself a large practice and is in
of the word worthy of the high reputation he has earned.
Dr. J. J. Lewis, the well known physician of
Ridgeport, will soon
occupy his new building at this place.
The good people of the Methodist Episcopal
church here are taking steps
for the erection of a large church building to cost upward of $1500;
well under way with the enterprise.
The Swedish Lutheran church, a fine building,
stands on the town site.
E. J. Bentley, the enterprising lumberman,
has sold his large stock of
lumber to Charley Wise, who will do a flourishing business in this line. Besides being a young man of wide-awake
business tact, Charley has a genial disposition and vulture that is
scores of friends to him.
There are four grocery houses, three general
stores and two hardware
We are situated in the center of the great
coal-filed of Iowa, in the
midst of the largest bodies of timer, and command such an area of trade
our town must inevitably become an important place.
In future notes, I shall take you through our
business houses – examine
the buildings, and acquaint you with our men, etc., etc.
If you wish a pleasant surprise, come down to
Stratford and don’t fail to call on your old friend.
And the following descriptive write-up of
Stratford appeared in the
Freeman, January 14, 1885:
THE BUSINESS OF
At the present time is well represented and
established. The hotels of the town are
House and the Central House. The former
was built by W. A. Dawson, in 1881. It
is a well built, good sized and amply furnished hotel, now operated by
owner, Mr. Dawson, who is a natural landlord.
It has recently been refitted and refurnished
throughout, and is equal
to and far superior to most hotels in western Iowa.
It is strictly a commercial house, and not
traveling man need shun Stratford because of its hotel accommodations,
will fin an obliging host and hostess, whose every endeavor is to
guests. Under the new management of this
house it has gained a large patronage.
It has come to be a retreat for the weary traveler,
who feels quite at
home at “The Stratford House.”
The Central House was removed from Hook’s
Point, in 1881, and is now
operated by William Hook; and while it is not so large a house as the
House, yet it has the share of patronage which it deserves. It is a cheaper class house and serves will
The dry-goods business is in the hands of D.
M. Blaine, T. H. Shaffer
and A. C. Aaronson. These dealers all
carry a well selected variety of goods belonging to the line including
and fancy articles.
The grocery trade is at the present
represented by George Hook, John
Linchrist, Isaac Hyatt and Neese Bros.
These firms do a general grocery business and buy
all kinds of country
produce, including poultry, butter, and eggs.
The drug dealers are Peterson & Company
and Robert Norton, both of
whom carry full lines of drugs, patent medicines, paints, oils, etc.,
is demanded by the town and surrounding country.
Those engaged in the hardware business are
John Peterson and Crary
& Rodine. These firms both carry
large stocks of both shelf and heavy hardware; they also deal in farm
machinery. One firm sold twenty
self-binders last season. These stocks
are fully up to any in the county as to quality, price and variety. The long, tedious trips to distant towns for
farm supplies and hardware have become a thing of the past to the
The meat market is kept by Robert Neese, in a
very satisfactory manner
to patrons, who find in this market all that they need in the meat
including game and fish in their season.
The livery business of the town is carried on
by William Hook and John
Lundell. Each barn furnishes good
turn-outs at reasonable prices.
The grain business of Stratford has come to
be one of much
importance. It is now operated by Carr
& Anderson, who have a large elevator near the depot.
Lumber and coal are handled by Gardner,
Bachelor & Company.
The dealers in live stock are B. McCabe and
Carr & Anderson, who
pay the highest market price for produce, and are doing a thriving
The harness business of the place is
conducted by George Gelder, who is
an experienced workman, and has already worked into a good harness
Blacksmithing, an essential factor in any
community, is carried on at
Stratford by J. Barton and Olof. Rosengreen, both of whom are thorough
of their trades.
The wagon and carriage business is conducted
by Mr. Berggen, who runs a
good repair shop, doing excellent work.
The largest plow shop in Hamilton county is
at this point, and is
operated by a master workman – Olof. Rosengreen - who has all modern
for doing plow work. He is doing an
Another important enterprise is the cooperage
business, carried on by
Brackett Bros., of Minneapolis, who employ twenty men and put out $50
in getting out hoop poles and manufacturing cooper stock, ready for
shipment. Large amounts of cordwood are
shipped from Stratford.
At this point was removed from Hook’s Point
in the summer of 1881. The first
postmaster was H. G. Hicks, who was
succeeded in 1882 by R. W. Biggs, the present postmaster.
It became a money-order office in 1882.
The first order issued was August 7th
to John Triter for $15. The first paid
was to Levi O. Lane, August 2nd, for $10.
There have been 1,740 orders issued from this
office up to January 6, 1885.
THE OPERA HOUSE
Was built by Johnson & Lindreth, in 1881. It is over two business rooms, and is 44x50
feet, provided with good stage scenery and furniture.
This hall has been of much value to the
people in and about Stratford, as a place for holding all public
Of the town are the Methodist and Lutheran. The former was first organized at Hook’s
Point, but soon after the railroad was built was changed to Stratford. The society is within the northwest Iowa
conference and have the finest church edifice in the county, save at
City, which is well furnished and cared for by a membership of over
forty. Rev. A. D. Hocker is the present
charge. The Lutheran church membership
is made up of Scandinavians. This church
was formed five years prior to the railroad era, and had a commodious
erected on a five-acre plat secured of Mr. Ten Eyck, through his agent,
Ross. This church has quite a large
membership. Services are conducted in
the Scandinavian tongue.
THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Of Stratford are indeed an honor to the town. A large, well arranged frame building was
build in 1882, at a cost of $2,200.
There are two departments in this school where the
best methods of
teaching are employed. No better index
can appear in any community, as to the thrift, intelligence and
morality of a
people, than to see a due observance to religious and educational
matters. This is quite manifest about
THE GRAND ARMY POST
“Daniel Hill Post, No. 373,” was mustered in
Nov. 14, 1884, with the
following charter membership: Thos. E.
Ross, commander, L. M. Linn, senior vice commander; J. S. Evans, Jr.,
commander; E. J. Bently, officer of day; James Wedding, adjutant; Geo.
Krouskup, quartermaster; N. T. Wilson, chaplain; E. A. Erickson,
guard; C. C. Austin, quartermaster-sergeant; James Wiggins,
Henry Snees and P. L. Peterson, privates.
This post was named in honor of the first soldier
who enlisted from this
county, as he was also the first to die.
The post now numbers about eighteen, and is in fine
condition. They meet the first and third
evenings of each month.
OF Stratford dates from September, 1883. The present officers are J. H. Johnson, mayor;
Geo. F. Tucker, recorder; L. Emerson, I Hyatt, Charles Rodine, M. H.
George Gelder and Robert Norton, concilmen; R. W. Biggs, marshall. The incorporation is provided with a
“lock-up”, but since the prohibitory law went into effect, the citizens
place say it is of no use to them.
The professional men of the town are G. F.
Tucker; J. M. Blake and
“Judge” McKinney, attorneys; Drs. Rodgers and Chamberlain, physicians
surgeons. These men are skilled in their
chose professions, and are doing a good business.
is that portion of Stratford which was
platted by Huitt Ross, and is
situated on the south side of the railroad track. This
place is for the most part made up of
dwelling houses, and has been much improved in the last year or two. Nestled in among a fine clump of trees may be
seen the pioneers house of all that location – that built by Mr. Ross –
years ago. The first frame house erected
in that part of the county was his, which was built in 1853, or over
years ago. It is now used as a
granary. His present fine residence is
well finished and neatly furnished throughout.
After so many long years of toil and hardship it
seems indeed befitting
that one so deserving as Mr. Ross should be so pleasantly situated. He has a well improved farm, containing the
finest orchard in this county. There are
evidences on every hand that Mr. Ross is a genius in many respects – a
great experience, self-educated, yet thoroughly posted on almost any