Dubuque County IAGenWeb  

What's New


Join Our Team





Capt. Charles Jones & Capt. George R. G. Jones

Sons of

Gen. George Jones


Charles Scott Dodge Jones was born on September 23, 1832 the first-born child of Josephine and Gen. George Wallace Jones. He attended Western Military Institute in Kentucky and studied under Bushrod Johnson, future General of the Confederate Army. He then studied law and opened up a practice on the northwest corner of Sixth and Main in Dubuque in the late 1850’s.


In April of 1859 Charles’ father, who had been defeated in his pursuit of his third Senate term, was appointed “Minister to Bogata” by President Buchanan. He decided to take Charles with him:

“My son Charles, who was my Private Secretary, the moment I told him in Dubuque that I would take him with me, went to the bookstore and bought a Spanish dictionary, grammar, exercises, etc., and began to study the language; but he never acquired facility in speaking it as I did.”


General Jones described his son “as modest and unassuming as he was brave and intelligent. He always took the highest honors at his school, at the Western Military Institute, at Blue Lick Springs, Kentucky.”


However when Jones got to Bogata he found an unexpected problem and had to defer

“…presenting my credentials formally because I was officially informed that the treaty between the United States and New Granada (now Columbia) had not been ratified by the Congress of that country; and I sent my son back as the bearer of my dispatches to my Government with the information that the treaty was not yet ratified and to learn what I should do in that emergency, as President Buchanan had informed me a day or two before I left Washington for Bogota that he would not allow me to go at all if he thought the treaty was not ratified by the Congress of New Granada, as it had been by our Congress.”


Unfortunately Charles arrived at the coast two days too late to catch a steamer to New York and had to wait two weeks for the next one. While staying at a “poor hotel” he contracted Chagres Fever, a type of malarial fever that occurs along the Chagres River, from which he never fully recovered.

Charles’ father, George wrote to his good friend Jefferson Davis from Bogota on the 22nd of February, 1861

 “…I tremble at the thought of receiving other dispatches, &c., lest they shall announce the existence of civil war. My prayers are regularly offered up for the reunion of the States and for the peace, concord and happiness of my country. But let what may come to pass, you may rely upon it, as you say, that neither I nor mine will ever be found in the ranks of our (your) enemies. May God Almighty avert civil war, but if unhappily it shall come, you may (I think without doubt,) count on me and mine, and hosts of other friends standing shoulder to shoulder in the ranks with you and other Southern friends and relatives whose rights, like my own, have been disregarded by the Abolitionists. I love Iowa and Wisconsin for the honors conferred by them on me, and because I always served them faithfully, but I will not make war with them against the South whose rights they shamefully neglected. Nor will I ever sanction any effort to coerce the South to submit to the North in reference to a question (Slavery) with which the North has no right to interfere…”


On the basis of this and other letters that Jones had written to Davis he was arrested and jailed when he returned from Bogata. For two months he was held at Fort Lafayette until President Lincoln ordered his release on February 14, 1862. Eight days later On the 22nd Jones was released from prison after giving his pledge to render no aid or comfort to enemies in hostility to the United States. For General Jones, this essentially ended his storied political career.


After his sojourn in Bogata, Charles returned to Dubuque and resumed his law practice. It also appears he may have been “recruiting” soldiers in Dubuque for the Confederacy and sending them off with letters of introduction. Unfortunately a letter of recommendation for his friend Daniel Quigley to a Southern Rifle Company was found on the battlefield at Shiloh by newspaper reporter, Franc Wilkie who wrote:

“Charles, a handsome, petted young fellow, was . . . Southern in his proclivities, but being rather disinclined to action, he undertook the politic role and remained at home in Dubuque, and claimed to be rather inclined to be loyal. He was getting along nicely as a loyalist when I found this letter at Shiloh. I was malicious enough to send it to The New York Times for publication. The reception of a copy at Dubuque sent young Charley in post haste southward. He became private secretary of the Confederate President and remained in the South till the close of the war.”


Charles’ brother George had remained in Kentucky after graduating from Western Military Institute, and at the start of the Civil War joined the Confederate Army.


After his letter was exposed, Charles headed for Richmond and called upon Jeff Davis’ administration to help his cause in obtaining a commission in the Confederate Army. On November 4, 1862 he sent a note to the Secretary of the Treasury, C. G. Memminger applying “…for the appointment of clerk in your department and respectfully call your attention to the card sent to you on yesterday by His Excellency, the President.” He listed his address as “Mrs. Watkins (on) Grace St. North side 4 doors from 4th “

A few months later, Charles’ old teacher from Western Military Institute, Bushrod Johnson wrote to Sec. of War, James A. Seddon from Tullahoma, Tenn. on March 24, 1863.

 “Sir. Having learned that Charles S. G. (sic) Jones. Esq. Of Iowa has made his way to Richmond Va. I desire to recommend him in a special manner to your notice.


“Mr. C. S. G. (sic) Jones is a son of the Gen. G. W. Jones former senator in the U S Congress and more recently Minister to Bogota. I have been long and intimately acquainted with Mr. Jones and I esteem him very highly for his fine abilities and many excellent qualities. He received a military education in connection with a regular college course, under my supervision and he has since added the study and practice of law. He is anxious to serve with the army in the field and I would especially recommend him for the position of Assistant Adjutant General which I think him peculiarly qualified to fill and should he receive the appointment I shall be pleased if he can be assigned to duty with me. My present Asst. Adjt. Genl. Capt R. B. Snowden is recommended for promotion to Lt. Col. of the 25th Regiment on account of distinguished services. If this promotion is made at the war Department a suitable vacancy will exist to which Mr. Jones might be assigned. I have the honor to be, very truly...B. K. Johnson, Brig Gen CSRA”


Attached to the letter was a note from H. T. Foote:

“I take great pleasure in stating that I know C. S. G. Jones Esquire well and his merits and qualifications are such that I feel a deep interest in the success of his application for promotion.”


Jones also added a small note to correct the General “Genl J. has mistaken my initials in writing CSG instead of CSD.”


Apparently afraid that Jeff Davis may not have known who Bushrod Johnson was Jones wrote to Jeff Davis on May 21, 1863:

“To His Excellency Jefferson Davis, President of CS.


“Sir- lest I may be prevented from having the honor of an early interview with Your Excellency I take the liberty of enclosing herein a letter of recommendation From Brig. Genl B R Johnson of Hardee’s Corps at Tullahoma; and respectfully ask Your Excellency to do the great favor to add a word to Genl J’s letter which will ensure the immediate and favorable notice of the Secretary.


“Genl B R Johnson is perhaps, unfortunately not well known to the President and I trust it will not appear presumptuous in me to assure Your Excellency of Genl J’s exalted character as a gentleman and his unobtrusive (manners) and intensity as a man. He graduated at West Point and served faithfully in the Mexican War. After which he expended years of labor and care in maintaining the Western Military Institute in Kentucky and Tennessee where he labored zealously as President of the school and an efficient teacher of the higher mathematics and tactics. Many of his students are now able officers in our Western and South Western armies and I feel that if half his merit was known he would be ranked as one of the principal benefactors to the South. In point on Military Service Genl Johnson is one of the oldest Brigadiers in the army and it is to be regretted in his modesty and the lack of political influence has kept him from attaining a corresponding rank. I hope his letter and your generous kindness will expedite my going to the field.


“I beg to assure your Excellency of my sincere and deep felt gratitude for you favors in the past to my father, my brother and myself and that I am anxious to serve the country which affords us such a happy asylum in these times of abolition violence and despotism…

respectfully and gratefully…C S D Jones”


On Aug. 12th President Davis added the following note to Jones’ letter:


Sec. of War, for attention. Mr. Jones is the worthy son of our friend Geo. W. Jones of Iowa. He has a brother in the army. JD

Two days before Davis received the May letter from Jones he again sent another one to Davis from Richmond on 10, Aug 1863.

“Mr. President: With very great reluctance, I am compelled by unfortunate circumstances to obtrude upon your attention again.


“In consequence of a renewed attack of Chagres Fever on the 8th July and of the great physical debility and nervousness following it, I am now almost unable to perform the severe manual labor required in our office, of numbering 4800 notes from 8 to 3 o’clock; and in view of the present high rates of living in this city which has (deposited) me in a basement room-a situation highly unfavorable to health it seems to be plainly my duty to make an effort to secure a change which may improve my health and sooner put me in a condition to serve the Government whose protection and patronage I have the honor to enjoy. Let me assure you, Sir, I long for the strength and opportunity which will enable me to show at once my devotion and gratitude.


“A word of recommendation from Your Excellency to the Sec’y of War or some other personage under Your Administration will secure for me a position and livelihood till blessed peace comes and the hateful foe shall have retired and abandoned his bloody purposes and gone home to mourn the loss of liberty and prosperity there.


“Do not, Mr. President, consider me unmindful of the severe labors and grave cares which press upon your attention, nor wanting in the highest respect and reverence due to your exalted station and character: but I approach Your Excellency with something like the confidence I would my own father-recollecting your generous kindness to me when I first called upon you after making an escape from the abolition draft and other Yankee persecutions


“Please pardon this liberty and encroachment upon your valuable time and patience.” He then added “a copy of a letter which is on file in the War Dept, to show my qualifications. As this letter testifies, I have been long anxious to enter the army, but this unfortunate recurrence of the Fever may postpone that happy day for several months.”


Finally on Sept. 7, 1863 Jones was appointed Captain in the Adjutant General’s Dept. reporting to Gen. Bushrod R. Johnson. On Jan. 2, 1864 Jones was appointed Asst. Adj. General to Johnson who was commanding Buckner’s Div. About four months later on April 21, 1864 he was appointed Asst. Inspector General to Johnson.

On May 16, 1864 while serving as Asst. Adjt & Insp. Gen on duty with Johnson’s Brigade Jones was captured at Drewry’s Bluff probably during the Confederate counterattack that drove back Union forces which had captured the outer works.


He was imprisoned at Point Lookout and then sent to Ft. Delaware. Ironically, Junius Hempstead was also a prisoner there. Jones’ malaria flared up again at Ft. Delaware and he was admitted to the prison hospital on two occasions. The first time was on the 15th of July, 1864 and twelve days later he was returned to the prison barracks. The second time was on the 3rd of August of the same year and he was returned to barracks nineteen days later.


Jones was “declared exchanged on 4 March 1865” and from examining many other records this means he was included in a “humanitarian” exchange at the end of February 1865. He was paroled at Fort Delaware on the 27th of February 1865 and delivered to Confederate authorities at Boulware’s & Coxes Wharves on the 2nd of March. There he was formally declared exchanged and, therefore, legally able to return to duty.


He was soon writing letters trying to find a new job in the Confederate Army. General Bushrod Johnson’s brigade had been merged with another since Jones was captured and someone else was holding the job of Inspector General. So on March 22, 1865 General Bushrod Johnson wrote a letter on Jones’ behalf to General Cooper, the Adjutant and Inspector General:

 “Capt. Chas. S. D. Jones (this time Johnson got Jones’ initial D right) Asst Adjt & Inspr Genl was assigned to duty with my brigade by the War Department in September 1863. My brigade was then at Missionary Ridge in Tennessee. He served with that brigade until the 16th of May last when he was captured by the enemy at Drewry’s Bluff. He was exchanged on the 4th inst. During his captivity my old brigade was consolidated with Archer’s Tennessee Brigade; and I understand that the Asst Adj & Inspr Genl of Archer’s Brigade is assigned to duty with the consolidated brigade. Capt Jones will in that case be subject to assignment and I would respectfully recommend that he be assigned to duty at Richmond if there is a vacancy there for him; if not I would recommend that some appropriated position may be given to him at some post of with some command. Captain Jones is an industrious faithful and gallant officer and of a most exemplary moral and religious character. I trust his case may receive special attention and favor.”

(signed) B R Johnson, Major General.


Jones also wrote a letter to Jeff Davis on March 25, 1865 from Mrs. Gronch’s house on the corner of 11th and Clay in Richmond and included a copy of Johnson’s letter:

“To His Excellency Jefferson Davis


“Dear Sir: The enclosed communication from Maj. Gen’l Bushrod Johnson …will explain why I have been compelled to trouble you and will, I trust, be a sufficient apology for obtruding my humble interests upon your kind attention so soon again.


“I beg to assure you, sir, that it causes me sincere regret to be obligated to add even my poor little concerns to the great weight of public cares and anxieties which rests upon you at this momentous time.


“When captured last spring I lost my horse and my wife’s cousin Mr. M. S. Thompson…was just about to leave Clarksville, Va. with a good horse and equipment which he intended to give to me as a present when he was captured with two horses on the 21st Jan’y last. Having been so unlucky and having written to my mother for the money necessary to buy another horse, I desire to be assigned to some post duty at least until I can secure another outfit for the field-though the facts of my having a wife and infant to take care of in these days of high prices and great scarcity and that I am still a sufferer from the Chagres or Isthmus Fever of which I had a severe attack last summer in prison at Fort Delaware, furnish still stronger reasons for asking this favor and will not fail, I’m sure, to excite the kind sympathy of yourself and Mr. Breckinridge.


“My good father Geo. W. Jones of Iowa is still on his parole and subject to the taunts…of the abolitionists; and the occasional assistance I have been able to obtain from my old home has been received from my mother, clandestinely through persons coming to the valley of Virginia.


“If you can conscientiously do so, I would ask you to do me the favor to send this application to Gen. Breckinridge with whatever comment you may be pleased to add.

I am, Sir, with great respect, your humble and grateful friend and servant, G. S. D. Jones.”


Jeff Davis added a note to Jones’ letter just two days later on 27 March:

“Secty of War, with a request for special attention-Capt. Jones is the worthy son of a gallant father."

It is hard to imagine the amount of micro-managing that Davis did during the war. It would appear that he had to approve all officer commissions.

It is also hard to imagine Davis’ thoughts on all the requests he received from Senator Jones’ two sons.


The loss of Richmond on the 2nd of April in 1865 and the subsequent surrender of the Confederate forces under the immediate command of General Robert E. Lee one week later essentially ended Captain Jones’ service to the Confederacy.


George R. G. Jones was born on May 4, 1837. He followed his older brother, Charles to Western Military Institute and he apparently met and married a Kentucky girl. She died from unknown causes shortly after their marriage.


Modeled on the Virginia Military Institute, the Western Military Institute had about 150 students and seven professors in 1855 when it moved it’s entire campus from Georgetown, Kentucky, where it had operated since it’s founding in 1847, to Nashville. Students undertook a military curriculum, and were required to wear uniforms and conduct themselves in accordance with the rules of military law.


Future Confederate General Bushrod Johnson was a professor at the Western Military Institute from 1851 to 1855, and served as its headmaster when it moved to Nashville and continued in that capacity until the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861. All of Bushrod’s cadets joined the Confederacy.



George had stayed in Tennessee after graduation and when war broke out he applied to the governor for a drill instructors job in the Army.


Governor Harris wrote from Nashville on July 30, 1861

 “Upon written application of Brig. Genl R. C. Foster I hereby appoint George R G Jones a Drill Instructor in the Provisional Army of Tennessee with the rank of first Lieutenant and order him to report for duty to Col Hieman.”

(signed) Isham Harris, Governor


A few months later, George was stationed at Fort Henry when he received a letter from his old teacher. Bushrod Johnson wrote to Jones from Camp Truesdale, Tenn. on Nov. 11th, 1861.

“Capt. Geo. R. G. Jones, Fort Henry--My Dear Sir:— Yours of the 25th inst. has just reached me; I am very glad to hear from you again. I have been much occupied here with still, uncertain prospects. I am under orders of Governor Harris in charge of this post, but as soon as troops are mustered into the Confederate service and organized into regiments, my authority over them ceases. However, the officers here do not seem disposed to let me leave under any circumstances.


“Gov. Harris has authority from Jeff. Davis to appoint drill masters. There are some three here, but none of them can drill cavalry. We have one cavalry company that needs instruction. Perhaps you had best apply for the appointment.


“The troops here do not get on well in consequence of contradictory orders. A few days ago we expected all would be disbanded for want of guns. Now we expect Tennessee to supply arms; but the recruiting has stopped in consequence of the Governor’s late Proclamation. Had it not been for this, we would have had about 4,000 troops here very soon. There still seem to be indications of a purpose to assemble here 5,000 men; but all is uncertain. You can watch the action of Legislature of Tennessee. If it orders more troops to be raised, the number here will be increased.


“I have been thinking of going home for the winter. If I do not have something to some purpose from Davis in two or three weeks, I shall return home for good. Petitions for my appointment have been signed and forwarded by the men and officers of this camp, in addition to many petitions from Nashville. There are, however, too many wire-working political competitors for Brigadier General’s appointment for me to be sanguine of success. In fact I only desire to do my duty.


“You might wish to write to Gov. Harris in a week or so, to see if he will not appoint you instructor at this camp; by that time matters will be settled in regard to increase forces in Tennessee. I can scarcely advise you to do anything now in regard to this command, all appears to be so uncertain. The probabilities are, however, strongly in favor of their being armed by the State. If that were certain, you might apply at once for the place of an instructor. Our forces are estimated at about 1600.


“I am sorry I have to write in such a hurry. I may write again soon.

Yours truly, B. R. Johnson.”



Bushrod Rust Johnson was born on Oct. 7, 1817 in Belmont Co. Ohio. He graduated from West Point in 1840 and fought in the Mexican War. After resigning from the Army he became a professor of engineering at Western Military Institute.

Both Jones brothers received their education and military training under Johnson, so it is not hard to envision that he had a big influence on their lives.

He wrote letters of recommendation for both brothers and helped them acquire commissions in the Confederate Army.

Bushrod Johnson wrote Jeff Davis on Jan 1st, 1862 from Nashville:

“Sir: I take the liberty of recommending to your consideration George R.G. Jones, son of Hon Geo. W. Jones formerly United States Senator from Iowa late Minister to Bogota, now a prisoner at Fort Layfayette.


“Geo. R. G. Jones enjoyed the benefit of nearly four years instruction at a military college mostly at the University of Nashville. He afterwards spent some time in the German schools. Very soon after the opening of our present war he left his house in the North and from principle embraced the cause of the South. He has been mainly employed as instructor of Tactics first with Gen. Zollicoffer’s command. He has well drilled the regiment of Infantry commanded by Col Heiman stationed on the Tennessee River and has lately been drilling new troops at Fort Donelson. He is well qualified to give instruction in infantry tactics from the squad thro the battalion drill. He is industrious, energetic and zealous in the Southern cause. I know of no young gentleman whose services I would esteem more valuable than his to any new regiment just entering the field for service. He is also well qualified with the duties of the camp. His habits and moral character are excellent and he is perfectly reliable and trustworthy.


“In the organization of our troops men from the entire neighborhood or county unite together forming companies and regiments and elect generally to office the best known and most popular men of the command without much regard to military qualifications. Mr. Jones is among strangers here tho he numbers among his fiends some of the best families of this part of our state and will be recommended by some of our most influential citizens. His worth is acknowledged by all who know him and his appointment to a place in the army would meet with much favor. There are several regiments that now desire to secure his services as instructor of tactics; the Colonels of which are not able even to command the place of Adjutant to give to him. If he could be commissioned as Lieutenant and assigned to duty as instructor where his services are most needed he would undoubtedly render valuable service to the country.


“He would also make a good artillery officer if such a place could be assigned him. I take pleasure in giving my unqualified testimony in favor of Mr. Jones and hope he may receive from your hands the appointment is which is is best qualified to serve the country.

Very respectfully, your obed. Servt B R Johson”


A letter from the executive dept at Nashville on Jan 2, 1862, written to Sec of War Benjamin by Tennessee Governor Harris also recommend Jones.

“Sir: allow me to introduce to you, George R. G. Jones of this city. He is a young gentleman of character and moral worth of thorough military education and the son of Hon Geo W Jones late U S Senator from Iowa, who as you know always ranked amongst our truest and most trusted friends in the north and who is now in prison in consequence of his fidelity (to) the constitution and the southern cause.


“Mr. Jones is an applicant for a Lieutenancy in the regular army of the Confederate States and to be put on duty in either the Artillery or Infantry Corps. If appointed I have no doubt he will make a gallant and efficient officer. I shall be much pleased if consistent with your sense of duty to see the appointment confirmed upon him.

Respectfully,” (signed) Governor Harris


The next day, on Jan 3rd Jones wrote to Sec. Of War Benjamin:

“Sir: enclosed you will find some letters handed me by some friends to be forwarded to you for you consideration. You will observe that they indicate a desire on my part to enter the Regular Army of the Confederate States. I have been in the services since the beginning of this war but have occupied really no position. I hope now to secure a commission thru’ you from the President so that I may remain in the service during and after the war.

I am very respectfully, your obt servant, GRG Jones.”


Prior to Tennessee’s succession Governor Isham Harris asked (then) Major Bushrod Johnson to lay out fortifications on the Tennessee River to protect the state from invasion. Johnson chose Fort Henry. While it was not an especially good choice it was probably the best that could be had under the circumstances. The problems were two-fold; it was on low ground and subject to flooding and there was high ground overlooking it making it possible to shell the fort rather easily.


Brigadier General Lloyd Tilghman, a West Point class of 1836 graduate was sent to command Fort Henry and also Fort Donlelson a dozen miles to the East on the Cumberland River.

On February 6, 1862, an army under Brig. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant and gunboats under Flag Officer Andrew H. Foote attacked Fort Henry and Tilghman was forced to surrender. Prior to doing so, he led the vast majority of his garrison troops on the 12-mile road to Fort Donelson, and then returned to surrender with a handful of artillerymen who were left defending the fort. Jones had been appointed Captain of Heavy Artillery and remained at the Fort. He had seventeen cannon, eleven of which commanded the river and six defended the landward or east side.


The biggest factor in the defeat of Fort Henry was not the naval artillery or Grant’s infantry; it was the rising waters of the Tennessee, which flooded the powder magazines and forced a number of the guns out of action. On the 5th the Union ironclad Essex steamed toward fort Henry and fired a few rounds at Jones’ men. He held his fire until the boat turned around and then Jones fired two rounds from their only large canon, one of which struck the Essex damaging the captain’s cabin. The next day, Tilghman evacuated everyone but the gunners, leaving him with about eighty men.


At 11 a.m. seven Union warships steamed toward the fort and opened fire about a mile away. Jones and his men fired back and the battle raged for about forty-five minutes until their one big gun, a rifled 128-pounder, exploded killing or injuring all its crew. A few minutes later, the big 10 inch gun jammed putting it out of action. Then a Union shell hit one of the 32-pounders and killed or maimed the gun crew.


But the fight was not entirely one-sided. One cannon shot hit the Essex in the boiler and scalded thirty-eight men and disabled it. By 1 p.m. the Fort had only two workable guns and Tilghman decided to surrender. He climbed the parapet and waved a flag of truce.


Two hours later, General Grant and his infantry arrived and he assumed command of the fort. Tilghman was imprisoned at Fort Warren in Boston and was not released until August 15, when he was exchanged for Union General John F. Reynolds.


Jones was sent to Johnson’s Island near Sandusky, Ohio and was exchanged about five months later.


On Feb. 14, 1862 in a letter from Ft. Henry, Dubuque’s Capt. Edward Van Duzee, 12th Iowa Infantry, wrote the Times:

“We took over sixty prisoners, and among them were Brig. Gen Lloyd Tilghman and Capt George R. Jones Jr., a son of Gen G. W. Jones, Senator from Iowa, lately, and now a denizen of Fort Lafayette. I saw and conversed with him sometime. He said he was a citizen of Tennessee and had been for several years. He was quite cheerful, and I think was quite willing to be taken prisoner. He told me that there were but sixty men in the Fort when our boats opened fire, but this cannot be true for we took sixty prisoners in the fort, and found four killed besides. Today, also, we have discovered that they tried to conceal the number of killed by throwing many bodies into the ditch that surrounds the fort, and which is now (filled) with water. Nineteen bodies have already been found and the ditch is being dragged, and more will probably be recovered.”


On April 17, 1862 the Dubuque Times ran an article entitled:




“A couple of letters have been sent us, which were found at Fort Henry among the effects of the young rebel and traitor Geo. R. G. Jones, son of ex-Senator Jones, of this city. One of the letters is from the noted Bushrod B. Johnson, and shows that Jones wanted to be a drill instructor among the rebel troops. The money that educated him was gotten from the Federal Government, and this is the return he makes…”

(The letter from Johnson was the one he wrote on Nov. 11, 1861 shown above.)


Three months after his release from a Union Prison Camp, General Tilghman wrote to Sec of War Randolph on Jones’ behalf. Dated Nov. 18th 1862 from his HQ, 1st Div. 1st Corps, Army of West Tenn. Camp of Tallahatchie Tilghman wrote:

“Sir-This will introduce to your especial consideration G.R.G. Jones, a son of the Hon. Geo. Jones of Iowa (a late Senator in the Federal Congress) “G. R. G. Jones has been in active service in the Confed. Army since the beginning of the war having to my own knowledge served with distinguishable abilities at various posts, and especially under my own eye at Fort Henry as Capt of Artillery in charge of one of the principal batteries.


“Capt. Jones was recommended by several officers and members of Congress for a Commission, which he was informed was given him and sent to Fort Henry. This commission did not reach him before his capture at Fort Henry. He now visits Richmond for the purpose of securing and appointment and I must cordially unite with him in asking that his great merit may be thus rewarded. I deem him one of the most valuable men we have. Joining our cause early in the beginning of the war. Sacrificing home property and friends. He has proven himself an able and zealous soldier and I beg that his application may meet with a cordial response. I respectfully ask that this communication be placed before the president”.


Jefferson Davis added a note to Secretary of War Randolph:

It reads:

“Secretary of War: Capt Jones as the son of my early and valued friend has to me special interest and I rejoice to find his merit as a soldier has proved equal to his zeal for our cause. He desires to be assigned to duty as ordinance officer of General Tilghman’s Brigade and I hope it may be consistent to comply.” JD


Unfortunately this is the last record in Jones’ file and there is nothing that indicates what happened to him after his formal appointment in December of 1862.


back to Dubuque home