|Mississippi Pearl Button Company
Compiled from Burlington City Directories transcribed by Des Moines County Historical Society Volunteers
|The Mississippi Pearl Button Company, located at 102 Columbia
Street in Burlington for many years manufactured buttons from clamshells. The
company operated several small plants in Iowa and Illinois (Oquawka and Ft.
Madison each had one.) The first cutting was done in those plants, with the
Burlington plant performing the finishing operation. Even before the US 534
freewasy caused the buildings to be torn down, plastic had replaced pearl
buttons. Men generally were employed in the machine shop and the drill room.
Women were mostly in the sorting and finishing rooms.
1907 Employee List
1920-21 Employee List
1933 Employee List
|Copyright © The IAGenWeb Project