Woodward, Iowa

Woodward used to be named "Colton" in earliest days. Platted in the fall of 1881 on the land owned by Henry Hutsonpiller, John R. Cole, and Dr. J. O. Sanks. Because there was another town in the state of that name, it was changed to Woodward in remembrance of the beautiful Woodward Gardens in Calif. Mr. Al Hughes had first dwelling which is still standing.

The first dry goods and grocery store was owned by W. S. Craft and Charles Leaming and the first yard of calico sold to John McCracken. Dr. James Potter built the first drug store in spring of 1882. Mr. S. O. Conger's state bank was the only bank here for years. Drs. J. O. Sanks and D. J. Brookings were early physicians. The first editor was J. Barrows, John Calvin had the first meat market and Mr. Burr Lee the first hotel. G.W. Thomas began the restaurant business in Woodward. J. W. Winkler was the first grain and stock buyer. Mrs. Emma Cook had the first millinery shop, and Wm. Wade, the first furniture store. Mr. H. C. Burgess was the first carpenter.

Other "Firsts" are: church, M. E., June 1882; death, Robert McQuiston; child, Edith Potter; birthday party, Carrie McCracken; music teacher, Miss Namme Monarch; school teacher, Mrs. Robert McQuiston; wedding, double one in town hall of Laura Nancy and W. D. Hall and Adda Herdman and David Preston.

The State Epileptic Colony and Hospital for the Feeble Minded was started in 1906 with Dr. M. N. Voldeng in charge, and Mrs. J. W. McNiven, as matron. Both are still living.

Source: It was included in the images for J.W. Guthrie Post #252, G.A.R. Woodward, Iowa, Chartered 1883, disbanded 1930. Transcribed: Conni McDaniel Hall, July 2019 for Dallas County IAGenWeb


Return to Townships  |  Return to Dallas County IAGenWeb home page

Copyright © IAGenWeb.  All rights reserved.