(see school index for the town of Farmersburg schools)
Additional information or photos of any of the Farmersburg twp. schools is welcome. If you have something to share please contact the Clayton co. IAGenWeb coordinator.
|Extracted by S. Ferrall from a newspaper
article about Farmersburg village & township by Frank
J. Corlett, that was published in the Elkader
The early settlers built
school houses soon as they got a settlement when there
could be mustered a half dozen pupils. The first one was
on the line between Giard and Farmersbug townships, just
north of the Giard cemetery, and called "The Log
School House," then came another "Log School
House" one mile north of National, and about the
same time a frame one was built not quite one mile
northeast of this town, then called Windsor. Up to and
about 1871, National was called Farmersburg, and here at
National was built a Township high school and quite near
the first in the state. It was used for a short time, and
then allowed to decline.
Equity Independent school - The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located in Section 36.
Photos & other information on a separate page.
Hawkeye Independent school - The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located in Section 9, just east of the section 8 border. It would have been located on the road that is now Hwy 13.
Hope Independent school - The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located in the centery of Section 33
Joint Independent school - The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located in Section 6, just east of the twp. border with Wagner twp. and about ½ mile west of Bismark.
Mecklenberg Independent school - - The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located in Section 29. A newspaper article about county schools printed in The Clayton County Register, February 18, 1954 gives the following information about this school: "...research through deed and abstract records of the county yields the [following ] information ... Mecklenberg school, section 29, Farmersburg township, stands at the intersection of highway 13 with the St. Olaf road. This land was secured from John Pahlas on June 17, 1896."
National school, "Independent School District of National" - The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located in Section 15. Note that the village of National is in both sections 14 & 15.
|The Clayton County Genealogical Society
met February 1 at the Kountry Manor. This building was
constructed and first used as a school [at National] in
1872. Mrs. Virgil Fritz told the history of National
A log school building was built by Alva Hazen. Four years later Silas Woodward constructed a building for a store but used it for a school instead which he taught himself.
In 1854, a brick school was built for the first public school. It was used for 18 years until a larger facility was needed.
The best available materials, with logs brought from northern Wisconsin for lumber, were used and the people were justly proud of the two-story school. It was truly the finest in its day.
In June of 1872 the "Independent School District of National" was formed and the new school opened that year with 146 pupils. Instruction was provided for beginners through the equivalent of about two years of high school. Older students usually attended during winter months only.
In the 1890s the school board allowed the young people to hold dances on the second floor as it was not used for classrooms.
National's two outstanding, talented citizens, Althea and Amelia Sherman were among the teachers who served during the 72 years. In 1944 the school was closed. Pupils then attended Pioneer School. Later the district became part of the Garnavillo Community School District.
~Clayton County Register, Wednesday, February 10, 1988; pg 5
~transcribed by S. Ferrall
Pioneer Independent school - The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located in the center of Section 10. It would have been located on the road that is now Hwy 52.
Return School Index