co. Marriage Record Index
1) Browse all of the records & be creative with surname spellings.
2) The original index contains 2 alphabetical lists, one for each name of the contracting parties. They have been combined into one index and alphabetized by groom surname for this on-line transcription. The transcriber has cross-checked the first entry against the second
3) Frequently the first & second entries were not identical. In those cases the discrepancies have been noted in the column 'transcribers notes' or if 2 different page numbers were given, both have been listed in the 'page' column.
4) Possible alternate spellings or dates are also entered in the 'transcriber notes' column, along with any other pertinent information to clarify the data. Occasionally it was not apparent from either entry, which name was the groom and which was the bride, so that has been noted 'groom and bride may be reversed'. Those entries appear in the Miscellaneous page.
5) There are a few marriage licenses indexed in with the marriage records. They have been retained on this transcription.
|Names of Parties||Names of Parties||Date of Marriage||By whom Married||Vol
|Earlmeier, Thos.||Parks, Sarah Jane||10/21/1849||John Francis, JP||1||33||2nd entry not found|
|Easton, Joshua||King, Caroline E.||11/08/1857||Thos. Connor, JP||2||100|
|Eaton, H.R.||Bushee, Amanda F.||05/19/1857||D.M. Stearns||1||121 or 122|
|Eberhard, Michael||[blank]||09/28/1858||Dennis Quigley, JP||2||100|
|Ebert, Ferdinand||Roeder, Catherine||06/29/1858||Martin Garber, JP||2||100|
|Eckart, Christian||Nicolay, Ann Eva||10/05/1858||C. Adams, Pastor||2||82 or 100|
|Eckert, Henry||Benecke, Doretha||06/20/1857||J.P. Kriebs, JP||1||123|
|Edson, Linus||Floure, Harriett||10/11/1855||L.G. Collins, JP||1||89|
|Egar, Francis||Kolling, Katrina||05/22/1856||F. Orst, Minister||1||103||Kelling|
|Egbert, Elmer||Turner, Ann M.||12/16/1858||P.B. Mason, JP||2||100|
|Egbert, Jas. H.||Thomas, Serelda||01/17/1855||Isaac Newton, MG||1||86||groom middle initial may be "K"|
|Egbert, Paul Jr.||McGonigle, Clemanda C.||06/23/1859||J.S. Gray, MG||2||100|
|Egbertson, Lars||Nilesdatter, Jorand||05/12/1855||V. Koreic, ___||2||101||Jornud|
|Eggerth, Ernst||Debrosky, Caroline||08/25/1857||J.L. Gilbert, JP||1||129||bride's surname is 'best guess'|
|Eggerth, Francis||Dobrooski, Emeline||10/26/1849||David Dickman, JP||1||35|
|Eilers, Bernard||Hoffschlag, Anna||07/12/1859||F. Hannisch, MG||2||100|
|Eisfelder, Frederick||Wismer, Augusta||07/22/1856||C. Adams, Pastor||1||107 or 108||Wimmer|
|Elletson, Job.||Jackson, Elizabeth||02/18/1861||License Issued||2||101|
|Else, Sam'l||Miller, Louisa||03/01/1846||James M. Thompson, JP||1||14|
|Engile, John||Johns, J.H.||02/02/1858||P.G. Stockfeld, Pastor||1||136|
|Engler, Chas||Kulp, Frances M.||03/04/1856||D.P. Grieder, JP||1||99|
|Engler, John||Light, Louisa M.||05/31/1856||John G. Paul, JP||1||105||2nd entry not found|
|Evans, George||Clapper, Elizabeth||05/18/1856||Wm. Moore, MG||1||108|
|Evans, Job||Patch, Lucy||04/25/1858||D.P. Lane, MG||2||100||2nd entry: 04/28/1858|
|Evenson, Ole||Thortilsdatter, Brigit||04/10/1861||V. Koreic, ___||2||100|
|Evenson, Ole||Johnsdatter, Helga||12/16/1856||V. Koreic, ___||2||100|
Source: Clayton County, Iowa Marriage License Record, 1839-1861, FHL US/Can microfilm #1255482, Item 4
Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall for Clayton co. IAGenWeb
Every effort has been taken to transcribe the records accurately, but errors are very possible. The old handwriting is often very difficult to decipher! Please use this transcription only as a guide & always consult the original record to confirm the information.
Thank-you to IAGenWeb volunteer Constance
Diamond for her generosity in making these records available for
Return to marriage record index