IAGenWeb Project - Clayton co.

Universalist Church

From, "The History of Clayton County, Iowa", 1882; Chapter XX, Boardman township; pg 646:
The Boardman Grove Universalist - This society was organized in 1855, with the following members:
D. Scott, John W. Partch, Thomas Smith, Harlow Barnum, Elihu Barnum, Louisa Barnum, James Partch, Lucy Partch, Ruthalia Palmer, Lucy Southworth, Samuel Hawley, Emily Mayhew, Almira Main, Philander Knapp, George L. Gilbert, Sally A. Barnum, Margaret Scott and Julia Boardman.

In 1870 the Congregationalist church property was purchased for $1,500, and the following members were added:
Sally Kimber, J. Stebbins, T. Barnum, Rosanna Barnum, W.B. Smith, Fred. Ernst, Lysetta Ernst, B. Knapp, Mrs. P. Nye and Mrs. Wright.

Five of the members of the church have died, and the remainder, except five, have removed from the State.

The first pastor was Philander Smith; since him there have been Joy Bishop, S. Wakefield, P. Hathaway, J.W. Hicks and Rev. Mr. Odeorn.


Elkader Register, Fri. morning, 07 May 1897. Local Scrap Bag column:
A Universalist Sunday School was organized at the Universalist church last Sunday, with the following officers:
Supt. - C. W. Walser
Asst. Supt. - T. M. Davidson
Secretary - Miss Lelah Partch
Treas. - Mrs. H. C. Bishop
Librarian - Mrs. V. T. Price
Organist - Mrs. E. W. Adams
~contributed by Reid R. Johnson

From the history of the Friedens Evangelical church:
In December, 1909, the congregation purchased the bell from the old Universalist church on the east side.

Register and Argus, May 1910
Wm. Heitkamp, Sr. is making some fine cement blocks for use in the foundation for his dwelling on the site of the Universalist church. the gravel from the grout wall of the old church furnishes splendid material for these blocks.


Return to Church Index

Return to Clayton County Index