Norway Lutheran Church
St. Olaf, Wagner twp.
Marion Lutheran & Norway Lutheran are two of the 4 churches collectively known as the Turkey River parish, originally organized in 1851, see - History of the Turkey River Parishes - the Norwegian Lutheran Congregations.
In 1870 the congregation of Marion Lutheran was formed out of the western part of the Norway congregation and the eastern part of the Clermont congregation. In 1904 two separate parishes were created, the Norway and Marion churches forming the St. Olaf Lutheran Parish, and the Clermont and Highland churches forming the other.
The Marion Church building was constructed in 1871-1873, the original building is still being used. All worship and church business was conducted in Norwegian until 1918 when English began to be used in some of the services and by the 1940s only three services a year were in Norwegian. The final Norwegian service was held in 1947.
The first Norway church, built in 1857, was a frame building without a steeple. It was replaced in 1875-75 with a larger frame building with a steeple on the same site. The present brick building was constructed in 1908. Members of the Norway congregation built the Lutheran chapel of St. Olaf in 1921-22. For several years it was used for worship services & Sunday School for congregants living in St. Olaf. The final service in Norwegian was held in 1945.
The following items were contributed by Reid R. Johnson
A large crown attended the confirmation services Sunday at the Norway Church. Those confirmed were: Opal Torkelson
Vera Mae Aarvig
Frieda Bertha Anna Ihde
Quentin M. Todkelson
Ervin L. Rugland
Burton G. Thorson
Lorimer H. Larson
~Clayton County Register, Thur., 24 Aug. 1933
The following were confirmed Sunday at the Marion church by Rev. Strandjord:
Doloris Lane Nyberg
Gladys Joyce Peterson
Arnelia Ruth Wold
Quinton Alvin Clark
Alvin Lanard Ruroden
Marion Barnard Loftsgaard
~Clayton County Register, Thur., 07 Sept. 1933
Return to Church Index