cemetery plot map
Gooding cemetery burial records
The first record of the Gooding Cemetery Association in the secretary's book is the meeting held in January 1885. The business at this meeting related to cemetery lot size. Each Stockholder was asked to pay an assessment of $3 for every life member. The minutes further stated that four lots were to be left for non-residents and persons that were unable to pay. The Stockholders were Peter Fillenworth, Conrad Ulrich, Adam Henkes Sr., Adam Henkes Jr., Justus Henkes, J.J. Henkes, John Henkes, John Sheppard, John Fillenworth, John Bowers and Christ Fillenworth.
In 1890 the Articles of Incorporation were written. The association incorporated under the name of St. Johns Cemetery Association of Clayton County, State of Iowa, for the purpose of owning and perpetuating a cemetery in Wagner Township, Clayton County, Iowa, and for the purpose of purchasing, owning and disposing of real estate for that purpose. The first Directors consisted of Adam Henkes, president; Justus Henkes, secretary and Peter Fillenworth, treasurer.
After the closing of the Gooding Church in 1930, the Cemetery Association gradually stopped meeting and the cemetery was not taken care of anymore. In February 1973, Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Russell sent letters to all they knew who would have an interest in the cemetery in the future. The response was good. Bake sales were held as a means of raising money. Also, many memorials and donations were received. Enough money was raised to keep the association active. Meetings are now held annually. In 1994 some arborvitae trees were planted, enhancing the looks of the cemetery. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Jim Fuelling have mowed and cared for the cemetery for several years.
In January 1948 the Cemetery Association gave Elmer Huckstadt permission to farm a strip of land 48 feet wide on the east side of the cemetery that joins his farm. This was done with the stipulation that it would be given back if it was needed by the cemetery.
~source: Gooding Cemetery survey & cemetery association history by Don & Arlene Sass, undated (ca1994)
~contributed by Yvonne Ellwood
Return to Cemetery Index