W.G. Woodall was born in New
York on Dec. 15, 1831, and was a son of George and
Mattie Woodall, nee Poole, natives of England, the
former born in 1809, the latter in September, 1805,
in Shropshire. They were married in 1829, and came to
the United States in 1831. Two children was born unto
them, viz.: Richard George, who died in England, and
William G. The father died in Pittsburg, Pa., on
April 15, 1840, and was buried there, but in 1882 his
remains were removed to Clayton County, and interred
in Elk Township Cemetery.
The subject of this memoir was reared in the city of
Pittsburg, Pa., and there learned the blacksmith's
trade, which he followed for several years. He
enlisted in the Ordinance Corps in 1848, in the
Mexican war, and was engaged in making cartridges and
arms for the troops for five years.
In 1856 he came to Clayton County, and settled on
section 5, Elk Township, where he now resides. He
owns 280 acres of fine land, and is extensively
engaged in farming and stock-raising.
He was married in 1856 to Rachel White, a native of
Pittsburg, Pa. They have one child - Caroline W.,
born Oct. 4, 1857, married F.W. Pilkington.
Mr. Woodall has been a member of the Episcopal
church, and in politics is a Republican. He visited
the land of his parents' nativity in 1873, and
returned to America after an enjoyable sojourn of