John H. Larson, proprietor of Larson' s boot and shoe store, McGregor, was born in Wagner Township, Clayton County, Iowa, Oct. 19, 1853, a son of Holga and Sarah (Halverson) Larson. His parents settled in Clayton County in 1848, and now reside in McGregor. They are members of the Lutheran church, and have had a family of four children, three boys and one girl; the oldest son is dead. John resided on the farm, attending school, until eleven years of age, when he went to Elkader, Iowa, and clerked for Snedeger & Stearns one year; then went to school at Decorah two years. He returned to Elkader and clerked for A.T. Jones & Co. One year; then clerked for their successors, R. C. Place & Bro., until 1869, when he came to McGregor, and clerked for Jarrett & Wilson until 1875, when he bought out A. T. & T. O. Jones' boot and shoe store, and has remained in the business since. He has the leading boot and shoe store of the city, occupies a building 70 x 25 feet, two stories and a basement, and carries a fine stock of imported and domestic boots and shoes. He is a member of the Iowa Legion of Honor, and in politics a Republican. He was elected President of the Republican Club of McGregor in the fall of 1881, and still holds this office.
source: History of Clayton County, Iowa, 1882, p. 994
Return to Biographies Index