Edmund Douglass was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., July 9,
1820, son of Gilbert and Elizabeth (Hamilton) Douglass, who were married about
1810, in Rutland, Vt., and soon afterward removed to Chautauqua County, N. Y.,
where he engaged in farming, and was elected Sheriff of that county a number of
years. In 1831 he removed to Jersey County, Ill., where he remained until his
death, which occurred in 1837. In 1844 the family removed to Clayton County,
Iowa, and settled in Garnavillo Township. The mother died in 1865, in McGregor.
Edmund learned the trade of a tanner and currier. He was married to Harriett
Curtis, who was born in Washington County, Ohio, Sept. 30, 1820. Eight children
blessed this union, seven of whom are living-- George, Ellen, Ann, Edward, Reuben
N., Cora and Leverett S. Mr. Douglass was engaged in the lead mines at Galena in
1845, and the following year came to Garnavillo, where he was employed as clerk.
He afterward purchased a portable saw-mill in company with his brother. They
purchased the first steam engine that was ever used in Clayton County. In 1853
he went to California, where he worked in the mines three years, then returned
to Iowwa where he has resided since. In 1859 he came to McGregor, and engaged in
the sash and blind business. In 1870 he was appointed Deputy Sheriff, which
office he held in connection with Deputy U. S. Marshalship until 1880, and has
held various offices since.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa, 1882, p. 976
Return to Biographies Index