IAGenWeb Project - Clayton co.

John S. Barr
Mendon Twp.

John S. Barr, foreman of the car-shops of the C., M. & St. P. R. R., is a native of New York, born May 26, 1835. His parents were John C. Barr, and Abigail, nee Jones, the former a native of New York, where he still resides. Mrs. J. C. Barr died in January, 1850. John S. was educated and learned the printer's trade in his native State, where he resided until his twentieth year, when he came West, locating in Waukesha, Wis. He clerked in the postoffice there one year, worked at type-setting two years, followed railroading a number of years, and had his leg broken and back injured by a collision at Genesee, Wis. From Waukesha he went to Prairie du Chien, Wis., where he followed engineering and was time-keeper for the railroad company about six years, then came to North McGregor. He was engineer on the road until 1872, when he was appointed to his present position. He is one of the oldest employees of the C., M. & St. P. R. R. Co, having been connected with the road since 1854. He married Nov. 19, 1862, Hannah Matthew, whose father, David Matthew now a resident of San Francisco, Cal., ran one of the first three engines in New York, in 1831. Their union has been blessed with five children-- David S., Thomas D., Robert A., Ideclare, and Willie Eugene. Mr. Barr was elected Mayor of North McGregor in 1876, holding the office one year. He also served as President of the School Board five years, and as a member six years. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and politically gives his support to the Republican party. Mrs. Barr is a member of the Episcopal church.

source: History of Clayton County, Iowa, 1882, p. 966
transcribed by Sally Scarff and Marlene Chaney


Return to Biographies Index