Dickens was founded in 1886. Population was 202 in 2000 and 185 in 2010. The city has a total area of 0.84 square miles.
Everly was founded as Clark, Iowa, in 1884, but soon took its current name because there was already a Clarke, Iowa. Everly incorporated on April 7, 1902. The population was 603 in the 2010 census and 647 in the 2000 census. The city has a total area of 1.11 square miles. Website
Fosteria The population was 231 in the 2010 census and 230 in the 2000 census. It has a total area of 0.47 square miles.
Gillette Grove was laid out in 1899 when the railroad was extended to that point. The city was named for br
Greenville The Greenville post office opened in 1871. The town was named for its first postmaster, A. W. Green. The population was 75 in the 2010 census and 93 in the 2000 census. The city has a total area of 0.18 square miles
Peterson The first settlement was made at Peterson in 1856.In 1862 a fort was built in Peterson by settlers to defend against anticipated Dakota attacks during the Dakota War of 1862. The fort was never attacked. The blockhouse from this fort still stands near its original location at the corner of Second and Park. Peterson was platted in 1881 when the railroad was extended to that point. The city was named for Adlie Peterson, an early settler. The population was 334 in the 2010 census and 372 in the 2000 census. It has a total area of 0.31 square miles.
Rossie The population was 70 in the 2010 census and 58 in the 2000 census. It has a total area of 0.15 square miles.
Royal The population was 446 in the 2010 census and 479 in the 2000 census. It has a total area of 0.30 square miles.
Spencer The first house was built in what is now Spencer in 1866, and the first store was opened there in 1869. Spencer was platted as a town in 1871. In 1878, Spencer experience growth when the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway was built into the settlement. It is located at the confluence of the Little Sioux and Ocheyedan Rivers. The population was 11,233 in the 2010 census and 11,317 in the 2000 census.Spencer is famous as the home of the Clay County Fair, held annually in September, averaging over 300,000 visitors each year. The town's (now-deceased) library cat, Dewey Readmore Books, is known throughout the world. The city has a total area of 11.18 square miles, of which, 11.01 square miles is land and 0.17 square miles is water. Spencer Leaders 1880-2008. Spencer City Website.
Some Information from Wikipedia.
Abandoned Towns, Villages, and Post Offices of Clay County
Annieville: in the southeastern part of section 12, Lincoln Township. Post office, 1871-1880.
from "The Annals of Iowa", Volumes XVII and XVIII, 1930-1932
Bridgewater: in the southeastern part of Lake Township. Shown on maps from 1873-1887.
Clark: first name give to town of Everly. Platted as Clark in 1884. Listed as Clark in U.S. Postal Guide from 1885-1897.
Cromwell Center: west of the central part of Summit Township. Post office, 1875-1900.
Douglas Center: in section 24, Douglas Township. Post office, 1871-1875.
Freeman: in the northeastern corner of section 13, Sioux Township. Post office 1871-1875.
Herdland: in section 14, Herdland Township. Post office 1881-1897.
Platt: listed in the U. S. Postal Guide as a post office in Clay County from 1893 to 1897.
Prospect: in the northwestern part of Meadow Township as shown on maps from 1873-1885.
Summit: in section 24, Summit Township. Post office, 1875.
Trimello: in section 6, Clay Township. Post office, 1875-1900.
Willow Creek: in section 36, Clay Township. Post office, 1871-1900.
Yankee: in the north central part of Peterson Township. Post office, 1881-1900.
Past and Present Communities and Counties