In about 1890 the Iowa State Bank occupied the northeast corner of the square.
The Garretson Drug Store occupied the south corner of the east side of the square.
This is how the Goldsmith Building on the southeast corner of the square looked in 1890. It was one of the largest in Osceola and was for many years occupied by leading mercantile establishments. According to a sign at the center of the building The Sentinel was printed on the second floor of the building at that time. It burned on the night of November 22, 1917. Night Marshal R. L. Eggleston and George Griffin were killed by the falling of a brick wall and another man was injured.
Sources: Osceola Centennial Issue...1851 to 1951, Osceola Sentinel, August 2, 1951; "Osceola City business Directory 1851-1996" by Marie White;
Return to Osceola