Extracted from the 1882-1883 R.L. Polk "Iowa State Gazeteer and Business Directory"
HOPEVILLE. Situated on a fork of Grand river, which furnished power, in the southwest corner of Clarke county. 15 miles southwest of Osceola (c h), the nearest bank location, and 8 miles south of Murray, the shipping point, on the C.B. & Q. R.R. Contains 2 churches and free school. Ships stock and grain. Stages to Murray and Decatur. populatin, 300. Mail, daily, D. Newton, postmaster.
The information given is: surname, first name(s), and occupation or business
|Adkins, W.H. general store||Howard, E.E., wagonmaker||Smith, Jonas, live stock|
|Ball & Kane, wagonmakers||Lent, James, hotel propr and constable||Swan, C.E., blacksmith|
|Bradley, Wm., baker||Lucas, D.C., harnessmaker||Swan, H. , harnessmaker|
|Burham, John, tinsmith||Morris, Rev. D.C. (Christian)||Swan, Mrs. Mary, milliner|
|Burham, J.Q. , justice of peace||Newton, D., General Store||Wall, T.M., physician|
|Coltrane Bros, druggists||Newton, J.J. & Co., general store||Waller & Scott ,general store|
|Coltrane, J.A., physician||Parrish, W.O. physician|
|Coltrane, B.J. , general store||Shinn, Rev. (Methodist)|
|Davis, J.W.B. , blacksmith||Smith, E.J. , blacksmith|
|Gregg, Wesley, justice of peace||Smith, J.H. , live stock|