| CHICKASAW COUNTY
Another IAGenWeb Project
By W. S. Pitts
Submitted by Beverly Witmer & Lynn McCleary, March 14, 2013
Submitted by Beverly Witmer & Lynn McCleary, March 14, 2013
C. Sandy and wife came here in '84. He bought a farm of 100 acres, 80 acres on section 8 and 20 on 17. He came from Illinois, somewhere near Palatine. This wife died August 13, '86. After two years or so Mr. Sandy married the widow Drew, and went back to his farm. Here he remained until the spring of 1902 when he sold his farm to Henry Mattke.
DeWitt Schanck was born in Wheeling, Illinois, in 1857, ant1 came with his parents to Iowa In 1872. They located in Fayette county, near Waucoma. ' He married at Fort Dodge, May 4, 1881, Miss Allada Young, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C . E. Young. He came to Fredericksburg in 1889, and opened a hotel and livery stable; one year later he rented the Julien Honse which he managed three years up to 1893, then went back to his own house. He died September 24, 1894. Four children were born to them: Maud, Carl, Hazel and Mada. Maud married Lloyd Farnum June I, 1892; they live at Mason City. Carl died in infancy. Hazel and Mada live with their mother.
The first school house was a pole shanty built by Edwin Cain, which stood southeast of where the Baptist Church now stands. The first teacher was Miss Anna Bishop, summer of 1857. After 1860 the school was held in the building on the hill that had been erected for church purposes. This house burned the winter of 1864. The M. E. people were holding revival meetings there, and it is supposed that the stove was not properly closed when the congregation went away.
The school directors reuted the hall upstairs in the old Fountain house of Mrs. A. K. Warren, for the summer school.
The summer of 1865, Frederick Padden built a school house on block 13. This house was 30x50, one story. It was divided into two rooms 30x30 and 30x20. The cost with one room finished was $1000. When finished the total was $1,600. It was opened for the winter of 1865 and 6. This house was used for church purposes for Methodists, Baptists, Second Adventists, Spiritualists, or any thing that might come along, political meetings were not barred. When the Baptists built their Church in 1870, they let up on the schooI house. In 1875 the M. E. folks built a place for worship and they quit the school house.
The school house proved to be too small and the cry went forth, a new school house! It was decided by the people that a new school should be built. The old house was sold to Barbkenecht and Radke for $200. After the township had been organized into independent districts, the school board bought the entire block 13, for a school ground. Where the new house was to be built this ground was found to be just what was needed. It has been set out with trees and to day it is beautiful. The summer of 1892 the house was built by S. P. Moore, contract price with two rooms finished was $3,800. The house is 50x50 two stories, brick veneered. With seating and other rooms finished since, the cost has run up to $5,000. The schools in our town were graded in 1861. We now have four departments and over 100 children in attendance.
The first dwelling house was built by Frederick Padden on lot 4, block 18, in October 1854.
The first store building was erected the fall of 1855.
The first hotel was opened and kept by Frederick Padden.
The town was platted in 1856 by Frederick Padden and Daniel Bloxham.
The first sermon preached in Fredericksburg was by S. M. Prentice, (Free Will Baptist,) in Frederick Padden's hotel, May 19, 1855.
Richard L. Schoonover, son of John and Mary Schoonover, was born in Indiana in 1843. When a small lad his parents moved to Jefferson county, Wisconsin, where he lived over twenty years. In 1860 he was married to Cleopha Weston, a native of New York state. In 1871 he removed to Iowa and located in Winneshiek county. In 1875 he came to Fredericksburg township and located on section 23. They have five children; Etta E., Mary M., David E., Clara B. and John G. Mr. Schoonover died the spring of 1884. His widow lives on the farm and with the help of her children carries it on nicely.
O. H. P. Searl was born in Bath, Green county, Ohio, March 30, 1815; son of David and Olin (Tracey) Searl. Left Ohio at the age of twenty, went to Putnam county, Illinois. In the year 1837, came to Iowa, Louisa county. In 1839 he went back to Illinois. In 1842 to Rock county, Wisconsin. In 1844 he was married to Lucinda Martin. In 1850 he went to California by the overland route. Returned in 1854, and in July of the same year came to Chickasaw county, Iowa. Located in Yankee Precinct on section 34. The land was covered with heavy timber. In the month of April 1855, the first precinct election was held at the home of Godfrey Vail; twenty-one votes were cast. Osgood Gowan and 0. H. P.Searl were elected Justices of the Peace; John A. Billings, Town Clerk; John Q. A. Billings, Assessor: Nathan W. King and a Mr. Corkins, Trustees; Fred Padden, Road Supervisor; U. D. Babcock and R. P. Scisson, Constables. 0. H. P. Searl was sworn into office by Judge Lyon at Bradford. Searl swore in the Precinct officers. State election held at the residence of A. A. Brown, August 1855. Spring of 1856, election held at the residence of T. P. Vokes. Edwards was elected Assessor but would not serve and Tom Staples was appointed in his place; Gowan road supervisor; C. C. Stone assistant. When Fredericksburg was organized Mr. Searl was elected a Justice of the Peace a second time, this was in 1855, D. B. Hanan was also elected a Justice. The winter of 1857 was a hard one, deep snow with crust. DeWitt C. Thompson killed over forty deer; Perry killed one with a club. Searl shot them with a pistol. He wounded one in one of its front legs, that went lame about the county, and became known as the Searl's wolf.
Children born to Mr. and Mrs. Searl were Mary, Emeline and Eveline [twins), David, Julia, George and Olin.
Mr. Searl was by nature well adapted to the exigencies of a new country, and he made himself useful, and he will be remembered by the early settlers as long as there are any of them left. He died July 22, 1885. Mrs. Searl is still a widow. Her sons David and George are with her, they are unmarried.
Buel Sherman was born in Connecticut, Oct. 16, 1825. In the year 1837 he came with his parents to Kane county, Illinois. He received such education as the country then afforded. He married Celia Pg, daughter of Gilbert and Lydia Pg. Came to Fredericksburg township in May 1857. He located on section 9 and owned a half section of land, although not all on that section. Here he began farming, the raising of stock, and also opening up as fast as possible a nursery of fruit and ornamental trees.
Five children graced this union, viz: Ida, Minnie, Erwin, Marinus, and Dora, who lived to manhood and womanhood. Ida married Albert Caulkins of Richland township and they now live at Storm Lake, Iowa. Erwin married Gertrude Patten of Charles City, Iowa, where he lives and is the owner of one of the largest and best nurseries in this state. Minnie is in Chicago; she is a successful teacher of physical culture. Marinus Sherman lives in Payette, Idaho; he married Miss Ella Gibson, of Decorah. Dora, the youngest, is with her brother in Idaho; she is single. Mr. Sherman was a man that had an eye for things beautiful. Flowers were his delight, and he cultivated them in profusion. Ornamental trees and shrubbery he cultivated and grew in great quantities, and all over this part of Iowa can be seen today his handiwork, in the way of ornamental trees. We know of places that are charming to look upon, grounds that are laid out with taste, which he planned; beautiful with trees that he had put there with his own hands. This great love led him into what our farmers call a sad mistake, by getting so much on his farm lands into evergreens that did not sell, and today are bringing in no revenue. The driveway in the form of the letter S starting in on the north side of his farm and winding about for the distance of nearly one-half mile to the center of the section where the home is, is one of the finest of its kind in Iowa, and we doubt if its equal can be found. When the forty acres or more, was set out with evergreen trees, land was not worth to exceed twenty-five dollars an acre, and he had an abundance of it for cultivation. There was therefore no good reason why he should not gratify his taste. The gift to get and save money was not bestowed upon the man, but gifts of much greater worth it was his to enjoy. He was graced with them.
The 29th day of January, 1893, Mr. Sherman looked from his window across the Evergreen Valley farm for the last time,--his work was done. Mrs. Sherman is still a widow and lives on the farm. >/p>
Milo L. Sherman was born in Dundee, Kane county, Illinois, September 2, 1839, son of Marshall and Sarah (Wanzer) Sherman. Lived with his parents during the years of his minority. Raised on a farm. Received a common school education.
Mr. Sherman enlisted in Company "I," 52d Illinois Infantry, September 11, 1861. October 28, 186I, he was married to Miss Maria E. Buck, daughter of Anson and Mary Buck, all of Kane county. The 52d Illinois Infantry was called "The Lincoln Regiment." Mr. Sherman was wounded at the battle of Corinth, October 3, 1862, in his right foot and left leg. Went into the field hospital, was soon transferred to St. Louis 5th Ave. hospital. Furloughed home the following November. Returned to regiment the spring of 1863. Furloughed home October 1864. Reported to Marine hospital, Chicago, December 1864. A large rebel ball was there extracted from his wounded foot by Dr. I. N. Isham. Discharged from the army at said hospital by reason of his wounds March 23, 1865. Mr. Sherman receives a pension on account of wounds received in battle.
Mr. Sherman was principal of the West Side Dundee schools during the summer of 1865. In the month of October the same year he came to Fredericksburg, Iowa. Accepted a position as clerk in store with the firm of Haskett & Sherman. February 28, 1868, he severed his connection with them and started in the mercantile business for himself. He began in an old frame building that stood on the north side of Main street, near the spot where now stands the Hotel Windsor. His family lived overhead. Here Mr. Sherman staid for twelve years, doing a snug business.
In the year 1876, he was commissioned Captain Chickasaw county State Guards; promoted and commissioned Lieutenant Colonel, January 21, 1877; promoted to Colonel April 10, 1877; promoted to Brigadier General, April 30, 1878. Appointed Commissary General of Iowa, July 1, 1882, with rank and commission as Brigadier General. He has also held the following positions: Commander Chickasaw County Veteran Association, First Commander J. V. Carpenter Post, G. A. R.; Chief Mustering Officer Department of Iowa, G, A. R.; Commander 1st Division 4th Corps, G. A. R.; Aide-de-camp on staff of Commanders in Chief Alger and Beath, and Sen. Vice Commander, Dept. of Iowa. Mr. Sherman has organized more G. A. R. Posts than any man in Iowa and commands--to a wonderful degree--the respect and love of the comrades wherever he goes, and is much sought after as a speaker at campfires, reunions and Memorial Day services. All who have ever heard him know what a remarkable and happy faculty he has in holding the closest attention of an audience, his personal reminiscences and army stories being intensely interesting.
In 1880 Mr. Sherman bought the mercantile stock belonging to C. T. Haskett and removed his stock to the building occupied by Mr. Haskett on the corner of Main and Washington streets. This building is now owned by Dr. Taylor and occupied as a drug store. Here he did a much larger business and for a few years was the only dry goods merchant in town. In 1891, he moved to Padden's brick block on the south side of Main street.
Mr. Sherman has always been a sturdy republican. His ability has been recognized by the party, and some especial favors extended to him. He was tendered the nomination for State Senator by the convention assembled at Charles City, which he refused, business relations preventing him from accepting. For Congress he had the support in the primaries of the town and county; at the Congressional convention, after a great number of votes had been taken, he withdrew his name in favor of Col. Sweeney, who was elected. He ran against Lank Gilliland for the office of County Clerk but was defeated.
Mr. Sherman received the appointment of postmaster in 1886, under President McKinley, held the position until 1894; succeeded by M. W. Warren, who held the position until 1898. He then received his second appointment which he still holds. Mrs. Sherman died June 13, 1900; buried at Rose Hill. One son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Sherman, Clarence B., born December 20, 1865. This son married Miss Madge Mitchell, daughter of Rev. James E. Mitchell. Clarence Sherman and family now live at Seattle, Washington.
Milo L. Sherman has the grit of a bull-dog. In the forty-one years he has been hammering his way along, there has been some dark days, some stringent times financially, but through them all he has kept swimming, and however high the waves ran he pulled manfully along with his nose above the water. We hope the evening of his life will be free from care, that comfort, rest and plenty, will be the legacy bequeathed to him up to the time he shall "cross the bar."
Samuel Shiveily and wife came to Iowa in 1856, locating at Tripoli, Bremer county. Came to Chickasaw county in 1859. Three children by first wife: Harriet Jane, Mary Ann and Henry. By his second wife--Mrs. Jane Hubbard--four children: Samuel, Albert, Lucy and Electa O. Samuel is dead, also Albert. Lucy married Monroe Lathrop, lives at Toledo, Iowa. Electra married a man by the name of Emerson, lives at Minneapolis. Mr. Shiveily died in Florida, sometime in the year 1886.
Charles A. Simpson was born in the east, but we cannot give his birth place. He married a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Collin Brooks, of Aurora, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Simpson lived near Republic in this county, some years before coming to Fredericksburg. They came here the spring of 1891 and bought the Wm. Case farm, located in sections 4-5, 160 acres. Here he lived until the fall of 1900, when he sold his farm to G. 0. Clapham. He then traded with H. Bassett for some property in town. In the spring of 1901 he went on the B. W. Lowry farm for one year. In the meantime he bought of F. Stapher a farm in Washington township, near Union where he moved in the spring of 1902 They have two children, Maggie and Collin, both are with their parents. Mr. Simpson served one term as County Supervisor. The entire family are Baptists. They now reside near Aurora, Illinois.
Amaziah Smith was a son of Joshua Smith. He came here to remain the summer of '56; married November 10, 1858 to Martha I. Tisdale; lived on a farm for a few years. He was a tailor by trade and in July 1870 he removed to Fredericksburg and opened a tailor shop in his own building; during the year 1872 he built for himself and family a nice house; in 1877 his tailor shop with Padden Bros. hardware store and Mesdames Howe & Stone's millinery establishment were burned with all their contents. This was a heavy blow; he then went onto his father's farm for about three years. The fall of 1880 he removed to Ruthven, Iowa, where he lives now. Seven children were born to these parents, Seth, Ralph, Sophronia, James, Sarah, Cora and Alice.
John Smith came to this township in 1869, and opened the farm now owned by Clarence Lowry. He had one daughter, who married Mr. Renshaw, and an adopted son, Will Stiles. Mr. Smith sold his farm several years ago and moved to Buena Vista county, Iowa.
Joshua Smith came here in 1854 from Illinois. He located on sections 14 and 23, eighty-five acres. A letter from his son, A. M. Smith of Ruthven, Iowa, of the date of February 16,1902, says: "The winter of '53-4, father and myself came out looking for land. March '54 we stopped with Mr. Billings, and Mr. Appleberry was getting out logs for his house. The 27th of March we deeded land in Dubuque and in May moved to Iowa and commenced improvements. Mr. King and family were at Godfrey Vail's when we came; Mr. King had the logs about ready for his house; a few days after we went to the raising, it was the first log house we ever saw raised. W. H, Linderman and Webster Pease deeded their land before we were out in March. We returned to Illinois in July; Wm. H. Lindeman was then living in a tent made from wagon covers, the tent stood near where he built his log house. The Searls' and the Scissons' were camped by Mr. Vail's place when we went away. They all built log houses that summer.
To Joshua Smith were born nine children, viz: Alice, Amaziah, Zacheus, James, Mary, Naomi, Hannah, Basheba and Keziah.
Mrs. Smith died January 4, 1870. Mr. Smith married a second wife, Mrs. Polly Rowland. He died August 19, 1878. Second wife died February 18, 1879.
L. M. Smith was born in the town of Hancock, Delaware county, New York, August 2, 1838; son of Peter and Abigal (Miller) Smith. His father died in the year 1846. Came to Iowa with his mother and step-father, CyrusWattles in 1854: settled in Chickasaw county at the village of Chickasaw. Married Antoinette D. Mead, May 27, 1866. Six children born to this union: Nina Hellen, August 19, 1867; Fay Mead, April 4, 1870; Myrtle Blanch, August 28, 1872; Florence May, May 5, 1876; Ray L., November 20, 1878; Marie, October 4, 1883.
Nina married Avery Carey, she died April 24, 1902; Fay married Miss Winifred Benedict; Myrtle married Thomas Clark, one child, a boy, now divorced; Florence married George Thomas; Ray is single; Marie married Jeff Parks.
Mr. Smith came to Fredericksburg the fall of 1886; manager for Sherman Bros., in their store; was also a member of the Fredericksburg Mercantile Association; later in business for self; also was one of the firm of Smith, Benedict and Smith. At the present time he is out of business.
Zacheus Smith married Charlotte Ann Appleberry. He went to the war, was shot through the lungs but came out on duty two weeks after. Came home from the war and went to farming in Dresden township. He sold and went away. He is dead.
Charles P. Snow was born in Madison county, New York, July 22, 1829; son of Laura and Roxanna Snow. Came with his parents to Illinois in 1835 and located where the city of Freeport now stands. At that time an Indian village occupied the ground. He married Sarah A. Brown in '51, and the next year they came to Iowa, locating in Eden township, Fayette county. Their first child, a son named John, was born there. In '54 the family moved to this county and settled on section 36 in New Hampton township now, then Yankee precinct. Two sons were born to them on this farm, Oscar and Philo. He moved to Fredericksburg and worked at the trade of a blacksmith. Two children were born to them in Fredericksburg, Arthur and Maude. In '62 he enlisted in Company "C," 38th Iowa Infantry. The spring of '67 he left Fredericksburg, moving to Freeport, Illinois.
MASONIC. Mount Horeb Lodge, No. 333, A. F. and A. M., received its charter June, 1875, having previously worked one year under a dispensation. There were ten charter members. The first officers were W. S. Pitts, W. M., Leonard Nourse, S. W., S.H. Holcomb, J. W. The lodge is in a flourishing condition. Meetings are held Wednesday evening on and after each fall moon.
G. A. R. POST. J. V. Carpenter Post, G. A, R., of the department of Iowa, was organized in November 1882. It immediately took rank as one of the live posts of the state. Time has wrought many changes with this post and today its numbers are thinned. A few of the faithful keep it going.
WOMENS’ RELIEF CORPS. J. V. Carpenter Relief Corps, No. 61, auxiliary to Carpenter Post, was organized March 13, 1886. Its band of earnest working women have kept it alive and done a good work.
ODD FELLOWS. Fredericksburg Lodge, No. 661, received its dispensation October 12, 1899. It has grown from the very first and is now a strong lodge, and one of the most popular in Fredericksburg.
REBEKAHS. Mt. Vernon Lodge, No. 211, was organized on June 12, 1900. This order is auxiliary to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Its first officers were Mrs. Addie Fay, N. G., Mrs. H. Plowright, V. G.; Mrs. Annamina Bishop, Secretary; Mrs. Zoa Fay, Treasurer.
AMERICAN YEOMAN. Hubert Homestead, No. 247, organized December 13, 1899. Started with 39 members.
ORDER OF THE EASTERN STAR. Order of the Eastern Star No. 163, organized October 3, 1894 with 23 members.
MODERN BROTHERHOOD OF AMERICA. Modern Brotherhood of America instituted May 18,1898 with 28 members.
ROYAL NEIGHBORS. Royal Neighbors, auxiliary to the Woodmen, organized March 8, 1899. Name Excelsior No 1429.
MODERN WOODMAN OF AMERICA. Modern Woodman of America Camp No. 4160. Organized August, 2, 1896. Started with 22 members. They now have the largest membership of any secret society in the town, and are getting new members at nearly every meeting. The insurance feature is what makes it grow so fast.
Lewis Speicher was born in Pennsylvania, in 1824, and in 1852 was married to Matilda Ogg, a native of Maryland, at Petersburg, Pennsylvania. In 1854 he left Maryland and came to Iowa, settling in Allamakee county. He came to Fredericksburg township the fall of 1874, locating on section 33. Nine children were born to this union; Benjamin, William, Henry,John, Lewis, Emma Jane, Hattie May, Frank, and Charles. All the children are married.
The summer of 1855 M. O. Walker & Co. put on a tri-weekly stage line from West Union to Bradford, Chickasaw county. The first team came over the road the 15th day of July. Leroy Honeywell (Sandy) the driver. In the month of November 1855 this line was abandoned and the wagon sent to St. Paul. In July 1856 a line of four-horse coaches was put on by Fink & Walker running over the same ground to Bradford thence to Charles City. These coaches carried passengers and U. S. mail.
The driver from West Union to Fredericksburg was Hank Hines, from Fredericksburg to Bradford Philadelphia, Joe. Leroy Honeywell remained on the route for several years. About the year 1860 Fink & Walker pulled off the route and Nichols & Cotter came on. The heavy coaches were supplanted by light covered wagons or hacks. They carried the mail also. George Hawley and Billy Wetherbee were the drivers. Nichols & Cotter continued carrying the mail until about 1871, the last year running a buck-board wagon. George Manchester was one of the carriers.
When the C. M. & St. P. railroad was built to New Hampton mail for Fredericksburg came that way. George Manchester with one horse brought it for sometime, then Hillson brothers, then Z. C. Knight. Dan Pond was the second Post Master, Elisha Smith, deputy. In 1860 Peter Case was appointed P. M. and he held the position for twenty-four years, until Grover Cleveland was elected President. Cleveland was inaugurated March 4, 1885, M. W. Warren, post master. March 4, 1889 Ben Harrison became President, then Milo L. Sherman was postmaster, C. H. Sherman, deputy. Cleveland's second term began March 4, 1893 then M. W. Warren was again P. M. William McKinley took his seat March 4, 1897 then M. L. Sherman was once more P. M. He holds the position today under President Roosevelt. The post office was made a money order post office in 1882.
Samuel Steadman was born in the state of Maine, May 1, 1821, town of Foxcroft. He was a son of John and Patience Steadman. His father was a millwright. Samuel, while a young man, worked out by the month, spending several seasons rafting on the Penobscot river. December 11, 1843, he was married to Betsy Jane Pratt, by whom he became the father of eleven children, four dying early in life. Ella L., Lucius D., Charles R., Edwin and Wilson are known to our people. Ella married Melville Rollins, and now lives in Dresden township. Lucius married Lillie Scales, he died at Nashua. Charles married Ida Gardner and now lives in Dresden township. Edwin is in the northwest somewhere. Wilson married Lizzie Stone and lives at Alpha, Iowa.
Samuel Steadman came to Iowa the fall of 1854, locating in McKee township, Allamakee county. His first wife died in 1864, and their daughter Augusta, died in 1866. His second marriage was to Alinda P. Robbins, May 1, 1865, by whom he had seven children: Albert W., who is married and lives in Howard county; John A. who is single and lives in Fredericksburg; Julia A. who is the wife of Rufus Potter; Walter C., who married Laura Hutchinson and lives in Dresden township; Arthur F., who married Elfa Tillotson; George C., who married Laura Whitman; Clarence who is single, and Frank, who lives in Minnesota.
Mr. Steadman located in this township, April 23, 1869, upon section 22, where he lived for four years in a board shanty. He built a comfortable home in 1873,and set out an orchard from which he took seventy-five bushels of apples the season of 1884, mostly of the Dutchess and Wealthy varieties. He took the first premium on apples at the county fair in 1882. Mr. Steadman and his wife joined the Baptist church at Fredericksburg, March 3, 1878. He was a man of great probity. He died September 25, 1890.
Dr. Stearns came here in 1878 or 1879. He remained here until 1882 when he went to Nashua. His mother-in-law, Mrs. Elizabeth Faulkner, bought the drug stock of Pitts & Padden for him. This stock he moved to Nashua. After a year or more there he skipped the ranch and has never returned. Three children were born to these parents. The first one, a boy, died soon after birth; the second one, Lee, is in Missouri; Jennie is with her mother. Mrs. Stearns is still a widow. Lives at Rockford, Illinois.
James Stephens was born in Scotland in 1826, was raised a farmer. He came to the United States in 1850, stopping in Winnebago, Illinois for ten years. Come to Chickasaw county, Iowa, in 1860, located his land section 20-94-12, Dresden township; bought his land from the government. Was married in 1856 in Illinois to Ellen Radford, by whom he had three children; Mary, Willie and George. Mrs. Stephens died March 14, 1897, buried at West cemetery. His daughter Mary married Eugene Rowe, they live in Dresden township. Willie is at home. George married a Miss Ackley, live on the old farm. Mr. Stephens is still a widower.
Frank F. Still was born in 1823 in Monroe county, New York. Married in Boone county, Illinois, to Ann F. Langdon, daughter of Martin and Pheobe Langdon, July 11, 1863. Came to Iowa in April 1857, locating on a farm three miles west of Fredericksburg. In 1862 in response to a call for more troops by President Lincoln, F. F. Still enlisted for the war, went with the 38th Iowa Infantry, Company "C." mustered into the United States service Nov. 4, 1862, at Dubuque. The fortunes of the regiment were his up to July 17, '63, when he died at Vicksburg, Miss. After her husband's death Mrs. Still moved to Fredericksburg with her family, where she resided until April 1, 1866, when she was united in marriage to .J. F. Callender, of Bradford township. He died March 4, 1844. After his death she made her home with her children. She was the mother of six children, four of whom are living---C. D. Still and Mrs. Lydia P. Drake, Sanborn, Iowa; J. M. Callender, Laporte, Ind.; Mrs. Ann L. White, Bathgate, North Dakota, Mrs. Ann F. Callender died at Bathgate, North Dakota, November 26, 1905. She was brought here for burial in the west cemetery.
Christopher Columbus Stone was born in the town of Sherman, Chatauqua county, N. Y., in March 1829. Came to Iowa in 1854. He tells us that the fall of '54 there was no frost until the month of November; no snow until after New Year's; rained New Year's day, turned cold and the country was one sheet of ice. Fred Padden was down on the Wapsie getting shingle timber, he had two yoke of oxen with him and they could not stir on the ice; he was obliged to go home without them and his load of timber. About the first of March '55 there were heavy snows; the 22d of March it commenced to thaw and kept it up until the ground was dry. Spring came early; fair grass for stock in the month of April. That fall a prairie fire burned over the entire country; a man at Burbank's place-now called Alpha-while trying to save his cattle was so badly burned that he died. The winter of 1855-6 was very cold with not much snow. Game was plenty; deer in the groves ran about like sheep on a farm; now and then an elk; prairie wolves plenty, when one would start out with oxen they would follow like dogs; one old wolf with three legs became so tame that folks fed her out of pity. Season of 1856, corn and wheat raised. Winter of 1857-8 was a terror; heavy snows and very cold; Nr. Stone says it was the coldest winter be ever experienced, at one time during the winter a crust formed on the snow, the deer could not run over without breaking through, and many of them were killed.
Before coming to Iowa, Mr. Stone lived in Boone county, Illinois; afterwards removed to Green county, Wisconsin, near Albany. He was married to Arvilla Adams, April 17, lS49. When he came to Iowa he settled in the Yankee precinct, on land that lies in Dresden township. Built a log house. In '57 moved into Fredericksburg and bought a building on the corner built by Lewis Padden, and kept boarders- Horace Baker; Briggs, an engineer in the saw mill; Charlie Zwick, Ash Davis, Allen Mason (called Yankee) and others. The building stood on the northwest corner of Main and Washington streets. He kept boarders three months, then sold the building to Amos Haley, who started a hardware store; next built the building which was afterwards moved to Main street and used by Milo L. Sherman as a store and dwelling house. Mr. Stone built, bought and sold several houses in town. Fall of 1863moved to a small farm one mile south of town, here his wife died March 14, 1865. The 27th day of the following September, he married Grace Bolton. In '69 moved to Lawler and kept the American House. In '70 went onto a farm in Dresden township. Mr. Stone's second wife died in Fredericksburg, August 13, 1903. Children by first wife, Charles H., died in '53; Libbie married S. W. Hartwell; Malvina, is dead. Children by second wife, Jay C., Fay D. and Ralph. Mr. Stone lives in Fredericksburg but still keeps his farm.
Mrs. C. M. Stone, widow, born in Cataraugaus county, New York, June 6, 1847. Daughter of James and Mary Fisk. Came with her parents to Iowa, was married August 11, 1860 to Chauncey Stone of Fredericksburg. Seven children were born to them as follows: David, Charlie, Mary, Arrilla, Willie, Ebenezer, Ida, and Myron. David died December 2, 1901 at home: Charlie lives in New Hampton; Mary married J. Jobe and lives in Clermont, Iowa; Willie lives in Missouri; Ebenezer lives in Minnesota; Ida lives in Dakota and Myron at home. Mr. Stone died December 7, 1901--son and husband died the same week.
John Stowers, son of John and Hannah Stowers, born March 3, 1836. Came to Allamakee county, Iowa in 1857. In the fall of 1862 he was married to Amelia Wood. Four children were born to this union: Allen, Cora May, a boy unnamed and Wilbur. All are dead but Wilbur, who is a Methodist minister. Mr. Stowers lost his first wife and in February, 1874, he married Emogene Farnsworth. They came to this township in 1877, locating on section 29. Two children were born to this second marriage, both are dead. They came into town to live in 1887, but still keep the farm of 120 acres. Mr. Stowers was a soldier in the civil war and draws a pension from the government.
Christian Swanger came to Iowa with his boys the fall of 1869. Mr. Swanger was born in Pennsylvania in 1804, and was a sturdy man of the type known as the Pennsylvania Dutchman. He was married in Pennsylvania to Esther Martin, and came west settling in Wiscousin, near Columbus. They had five children: Robert, Ervin and James who are well known here; and two daughters: the late Mrs. Joseph Mourer and Mrs. Henry Beaver, deceased. Mrs. Christian Swanger died in 1876, in Dresden township. Christian Swanger died at the home of his son Ervin, in 1893, at the age of 89 years.
Ervin Swanger was born in Snider county, Pennsylvania, November 4, 1845. When eight years of age he came with his parents to Columbia county, Wisconsin. There he grew to manhood. At the age of twenty he went to the war. After his return he married Emma Tillotson of Hampden, Wisconsin, July 3, 1867. Remained there two years and then came to Fredericksburg township, Chickasaw county, Iowa, and located on section 15, 120acres, section 23, 80 acres. Here this family lived for twenty years. The past thirteen years they have lived in Fredericksburg. Five children were born to this union, Millie, born March 22, 1870, died October 11, 1874; Flora Belle, born June 15, 1873, she is the wife of Bert Dayton; Bertie, born July 22, 1878, died December 17, 1881; Jesse E., born March 10, 1884; Hazel E., born March 28,1886. Mr. and Mrs. Swanger have worked hard and they have now of this world's goods enough laid by to carry them through to the end of the road without any further worry. They now live in Waterloo, Iowa.
Robert Swanger, son of Christian and Esther Swanger, was born in Middleton, Union county, Pennsylvania, November 4, 1843. At the age of ten years his parents brought him to Wisconsin. In 1876 he married Miss Caroline Loveless, who was born in Moriah, Essex county, New York, in the year 1850. The summer of 1869, they came to Iowa, Fredericksburg township. They took up 160 acres of land and reside on the same farm today. His farm comprises 240 acres. Their first child was born in Wisconsin. Her name is Loie, and she was married to Will Smothers, April 12, 1891. Their second one, a boy, was born April 25, 1874. His name is Heman. He married Alice Hubbard, December 24, 1896. Cora was born January 22, 1876 and was married to John Ogg, February 10, 1892, and lives in Minnesota. Bertha was born May 28,1878 and married Will Elliott. Nellie was born July 26, 1880. Stella was born July 22, 1883. Laura was born August 3, 1886. Ruth was born August 21, 1887. Wilson was born July 9, 1890, lives at home. Mr. Swanger has excellent buildings on his farm, and can live comfortably. He was a soldier in the 23rd Wisconsin Infantry and receives a pension.
John Swale was born in Yorkshire, England. He came here about the time that George Barker came--he was a brother-in-law. Be located on the land adjoining Mr. Barker, only being separated by the county line between Chickasaw and Bremer. He was a hard worker, owned a good farm and stock upon it. Five children graced this union: Charles, Matilda, Mary, Thomas and Fred. Charles lives in Kansas; Matilda married Stewart Daily, lives in Indian Territory: Thomas lives in California; Fred married Miss Adell Farnum, daughter of William and Laura Farnum.
John Swale's first wife died January 13, 1871, married second time Mrs. Julia Morse of Sand Springs. Mr. Swale died January, 1890.