| CHICKASAW COUNTY
Another IAGenWeb Project
By W. S. Pitts
Submitted by Beverly Witmer & Lynn McCleary, March 14, 2013
Submitted by Beverly Witmer & Lynn McCleary, March 14, 2013
During the fall of 1853, one John Patten, built a log shanty on section 12-94-12. This shanty stood near the bank of Plum creek; as near as I can locate it, it would be on the northeast corner of the lands belonging to the Chicago Great Western Railway, at its juncture with Plum creek. Where John Patten and family came from no one seems to know and their going away is wrapped in the same mystery. He occupied this shanty but a short time. .He built a second shanty in Dresden township where himself and wife spent the winter of 1853-4. Sometime during the fall of 1855, Isreal Martin and wife moved into this first built shanty and lived there until the spring of 1854, when the Pattens and Martins went away.
During the summer of 1854 this shanty stood empty until the 21st day of September, when Frederick Padden came with his family and moved into it. This family consisted of his wife, Julia Ann, daughter Anna, sons Jerome, Robert and Melville M. They remained in this shanty until he had completed the first part of the build in that was afterwards know as the Fountain House. Into this house he moved sometime in the month of November 1854.
This Frederick Padden was from the state of Ohio. He was born in the state of New York in 1523. He was married at Springfield Corners, Pennsylvania, in 1845 to Julia Ann Robinson, daughter of Ephram and Anna Robinson. In 1849 he left Ohio and moved to Napiersville, Illinois, from there to Rome Corners, Dane county, Wisconsin; from there to West Union, Iowa.
Perhaps it will be pardonable at this early point in our History of Fredericksburg, to introduce to our readers this man from whom the town and township derived its name. In person he was nearly six feet in height, strong bone, carrying no surplus fat. His hair and whiskers were what are termed auburn in color, eyes light blue or gray. He was it man of great strength and gained the reputation of being able to lift more than any man here at that time. He was of a true pioneer cut, rough and ready, up and doing. He was the first hotel keeper, the first mill builder and owner, the first road master, the first postmaster, the second sheriff of Chickasaw county-not counting the organizing sheriff. If anyone wanted to take up land they went to Mr. Padden to assist to them. He possessed the gift of being able to walk a mile straight ahead, and could walk across a section from stake to stake and not vary twenty feet from a direct line, which feat is said is a hard thing to do. He early marked out the roads leading east and west. In all these improvements his was the moving lever.
As settlers began to come in, lumber was much needed. Mr. Padden was equal to the emergency. January 1856, he went east, purchased the entire machinery for a steam power mill. This machinery was hauled from Dubuque by team, over snow-drifted roads in the month of February. This mill was located on the west side of Washington avenue at the juncture of Plum street, near the bank of Plum creek. In 1857 the mill was destroyed by fire. Nothing daunted Mr. Padden re-erected it in 1858. January 1862, this second mill was burned. During the winter of 1862 the machinery was hauled to McGregor and sold.
In the month of October 1856, the town of Fredericksburg was platted. Frederick Padden and Dan Bloxham, proprietors.
During the summer of 18! 7, Mr. Padden built an second hotel on block four, corner of Washington and Mill street. This house he named after his wife. On a large sign board running along the ridge board of the roof, one could read JULIANN HOUSE.
People as a rule thought he meant it for Julien, that the painter had made a mistake, but such was not the case. The sign remained there until 1885, when in a very severe storm of wind and rain, it was blown off. The new sign read JULIEN
In the month of August, 1857, Mr. Padden was elected sheriff of Chickasaw county, receiving 414 votes against A. E. Bigelow 350. Mr. Padden resigned in 1858 and Charles Zwick was appointed to fill out the unexpired term.
During the years 1858-9, Mr. Padden gave much attention to selling of real estate, also village lots. About this time the McGregor, St. Peter & Mississippi railroad was surveyed through town and the depot grounds located. Lots in the village went skyward in price and sold for prices that have never been realized since. The railroad failed to come.
Frederick Padden went into the army in the fall of 1863. He was a member of Company 66 “C”, Sixth Iowa Cavalry. This regiment was kept on the western frontier. At the close of the war he came home out of health. During the time of his service he was wounded in one of his legs by an Indian arrow. As the wound did not heal, it was supposed that the arrow was poisoned. Be that as it may, the wound kept open, and in the end blood poison followed, and the seventh day of August, 1867, he died. His life was insured in the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company of Milwaukee for one thousand dollars. He was buried in the West cemetery.
This hardy pioneer who broke the way for settlement in the southeast comer of Chickasaw county, did not live to realize his hopes; he went down at the noontime of life, being only 44 years of age, leaving a wife and five children to breast the storms of life as best they might.
He was impulsive but generous, he made many mistakes for he was human, so when we laid him down to rest and the solemn chant died away on the afternoon's stillness, we buried all his faults with him to be remembered no more, and to speak only of his good qualities. Mrs. Padden continued to keep the hotel until 1873, when she sold it to Thomas Moore and moved into the country. After one year she was back in the hotel and kept it until January, 1878, when she sold it to William Johnson. In September of the same year, she and her family moved to Hebron, Thayer county, Nebraska. She continued a widow until the time of her death, which occurred at Effingham, Kansas, March 30, 1905, at the age of 79 years, 7 months and 12 days. Her remains were brought here and laid by the side of her husband.
Loren Padden was born in Pennsylvania in the year 1846. Son of Robert and Luvina (Todd) Padden. Came to Iowa with his mother in 1857. Went to the war; enlisted March 4, 1864, Company "F" 9th Iowa Volunteers. Went with Sherman from Atlanta to the sea. Mustered out July 1865. After the war he began to look out sharp for himself. The first good paying investment he made was August 1, 1874, when he married Miss Clara Tisdale, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. GiIbert Tisdale. They were married by Rev. M. E. Arkills. Seven children have graced this union: Cora, John, Nellie, Harry, Lillie, Edith and Marjorie. Cora died August 8, 1880.
Mr. Padden early got hold of lands at low prices, portions of which he sold making good money; at this date he owns 300 acres of choice lands. About the year 1880, he went into the pump and wind-mill business which has proved in his hands very remunerative, and today he carries a larger stock of pumps and wind-mills, and does a larger business in this line than any other man in Northeastern Iowa. A number of years ago he erected several good buildings on Main street for rent, and has since kept putting up houses and stores, the climax being reached in 1901 when be built the large brick block on the corner of Washington and Main streets. In the year 1900, in company with Shaffer Bros. of New Hampton, Iowa, they purchased the banking business of Chas. A. Moody, which they carried on as a private bank until the season of 1905, when it was organized under the state law as the First State Bank of Fredericksburg. L. Padden is its first president. He is also engaged in the sale of farm machinery, wagons and buggies under the firm name of Milne & Co.
Mr. Padden is a man of few words, but from the amount of property he accumulated it is evident that he has done a lot of thinking. He is a man of silence in his business. He never tells what he is going to do, the first thing one knows about it he is doing it. He is a kind-hearted man, a citizen who commands the respect of all men with whom he comes in contact. In physique be is large, has a pleasant countenance with a ruddy complexion. He is in his sixtieth year, but don't look it by five years at least. His sons John and Harry, his daughters Nellie and Lillie are married.
Mely Padden came with his wife to Fredericksburg the spring of 1855. He opened a small farm one-half mile south of town, now embraced in the Grover estate farm. He left here in 1863 going to Michigan.
Gilbert Page, son of Joseph and Polly Pg, was born in Connecticut, in October 1799. Married in 1827 to Lydia Gillett. Came to Iowa in the fall of 1857, located in Fredericksburg township on section 4. Five children were born to this union, Celia, Cordelia, Polly, Arthur, and Judson A. Celia married Buel Sherman, Cordelia married R. H. Alcott, and lives in New York State. Polly married Benj. Alcott. Arthur married Laura Yager, they live in Charles City. Judson A. died in Columbus, Chenango county, New York. Gilbert Page died March 9th, '81. Mrs. Page was ninety years old at the time of her death, which occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Buel Sherman.
Benjamin B. Parks was born in Ohio. Son of Samuel and Hannah Parks. Come to Illinois with his parents. Married in that state to Manda Hinton. Came to Fredericksburg, Iowa, after the war. We think it was 1867. He located on section 16 on the land now owned by C. L. Whitcomb. This farm, 160 acres, he sold after a few years and moved to section 20--about two miles south and east where he bought 240 acres. His excuse for selling and buying again was, he said, "I want to go where I can raise fruit." We think it was because he wanted more land. Another thing was he had put out a row of trees along the road which were as much as four feet high, and he said they kept back the fresh air so that he had to come to leave his work and come into the road to get a good breath. Nine children come to these parents, Harding, Jennie, Julia, May, Clara, Crampton (Doc), Edward, infant, Jeff.
Harry H. Parks was born in Ohio in 1842. Came west with his parents to the state of Illinois. Grew to manhood, went to war. Married Ella E. Mansfield. She was born in England. Come to Iowa in 1868. Located on section 16, Dresden township, Chickasaw Co. Lived there a few years, then sold his farm and bought another in Fredericksburg township, on sections 20 and 21, 120 acres. Has good buildings. They have five children, Joseph, Katie, Jessie, Jordan and Arthur.
Samuel Parks was born at Hagarstown, Maryland, March 17, 1797. Son of Thomas and Elizabeth Parks. While a babe his parents moved to Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. At the age of twenty-two he married Miss Hannah L. Jordan, October 28, 1819, born June 5, 1796. Moved to Ohio in 1836, to Boone county, Illinois in 1842. Ordained for the ministry in the year of 1846 at Peoria by Bishop Morris. Came to Chickasaw county in 1868, locating in Dresden township. Eleven children born to this union. He had three sons in the union army. Joseph lost his life there. Mr. Parks moved to Fredericksburg where he lived for several years. He died February 28, 1890. Mrs. Parks died three before, October 1, 1887.
Elmer W. Pease, eldest son of Webster and Lucy (Older) Pease, was born November 14th, 1846, at Darien, Walworth county, Wisconsin. While a small boy his parents moved to Boone county, Illinois. They remained there for about a year and a half. They then moved to Iowa, making their first stop at West Union, Fayette county, where they remained one year. In the month of October 1856, theymoved to Chickasaw county and located on land then called in the Yankee precinct, now Dresden township. Elmer attended the public schools until he was old enough to work out. October 16, 1869, he was united in marriage with Laura J. Howard of the same township. Four boys and three girls was born to this union: Mary E., Mordin R., Fred, Marvin R., Clara Ettie, Pearl and Frank. Mary is married, lives in Jones county, Iowa; Mordin R. is at Dodge Center, Minn; Fred died at the age of a year and a half; Marvin and Frank are here; Clara married Albert Brandt; Pearl died in the sixth year of her age. Elmer Pease and wife seperated some years ago. Both are residents of this place.
Fred Pease was born in Dresden township, Chickasaw county, Iowa, January 25, 1856. Son of Webster and Lucy (Older) Pease. He remained on the farm until his father's death, since which time he has been in various places. He now lives in Burlington, Washington. He never married.
George Madison Pease, oldest son of Webster and Lucinda (Robinson) Pease was born in the state of New York, February 27, 1835. Came with his parents to Walworth county, Wisconsin. The spring of 1861 he came to Fredericksburg to visit his father and while here enlisted in Company "B," Lincoln Guards, 7th Iowa. After the war he went to Pennsylvania, and in 1868 he married Miss Elizabeth Elderkin. In the year 1869 he returned to Iowa. Three children were born to these parents: Cora, John and A. D. Cora is married, lives at Calmar, Iowa; John is married, lives in Washington; A. D. is married and also lives in Washington. Mr. and Mrs. George Pease live at Yakima, Washington.
Henry Clay Pease, second son of Webster and Lucy (Older) Pease was born in Boone county, Illinois, December 18, 1847. Came to Iowa with his parents and grew to manhood on his father's farm in Dresden township. In the year 1874 he was united in marriage with Miss Effie Knapp. Began housekeeping in a small house on his father's farm, December 1879, Henry with his family moved to Ruthven, Iowa. Bought a farm near there and lived on it until a few years ago. This farm he has sold and now lives in Ruthven. Three children came to this family: Lucy, Charles and Harry. Lucy is married, lives in Dakota; Charles and Harry live at Ruthven.
Henry visited the old home place in March, 1906. It was not at all like the home wherein he spent so many years. He said he never wanted to see it again.
John W. Pease was born in Plato, Kane county, Illinois, July 5, 1852, was married to Libbie S. Green in April 1874, coming to this township the same month, locating on section twenty-six, 120 acres. They have two children, Earl S. and Lida E. Earl married Miss Mae Cook of Bradgate, Humbolt county, Iowa, where they now reside. Lida E. married Fred Bradburn, who also lives at Bradgate. John W. Pease lives at West Bend, Palo Alto county, Iowa. He sold his farm here to Elmer Miller.
The 14th day of March, 1849, there was born to Webster and Lucy (Older) Pease, twin boys. They were born in Boone county, Illinois, and came to Iowa with their parents in 1856. These boys were named Oscar and Orison. They were born fighters, would fight each other if they could find no other boys to fight.
In the year 1869, Oscar went to Pocahontas county, took up a homestead. The spring of 1870, he married Miss Addie Proctor of that county. Three children were born to them, two died in infancy, the third, a girl, lived to womanhood, is married and lives in the state of Washington. Mr. Pease held the office of Justice of the Peace for several terms, was also town clerk, and county coroner. Himelf and family now live at Burlington, Washington.
Orison Pease married Miss Caroline Beaver in 1872. She was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Beaver of this township. Five children were born to them: Henry, Irvin, Myrtle, Clara and one that died in infancy. Mrs. Pease died at their borne in Dresden township. Henry and Irvin are married and live in Washington. Myrtle is married and lives in Dakota. After the death of his wife, Orison went to Pocahontas county, Iowa. During his time of residence there he married Miss Matie Thomas. They removed to Burlington, Washington, where they now reside. They are engaged in keeping a hotel.
R. S. Pease was born in Plato, Kane county, Ill., April 22, '48, was a son of David and Patience Pease and emigrated here from New York State to Illinois in 1855. R. W. Pease was married February 27, 1868, to Mary A. Green, and came to Fredericksburg township in February, 1875, locating on a farm of 120 acres on section 27, then known as the Al Frame place, and lived in the only log house between Fredericksburg and Wilson's Grove. They have three children; the eldest, Mable, is now Mrs. William Goodall, and at this time is living on the farm formerly known as the Hulburt place, in this township and is owned by R. S. Pease. Roy Pease married Alma E. Orvis and lives on the farm of Mrs. S. N. Orvis, two and one-half miles north of Sumner. "Nora," is Mrs. V. C. Austin and is living on what was know as the Michaelas farm. R. S. Pease left his farm and moved to Sumner, Bremer county, the fall of 1893. He is a very much alive man and is a money saver.
Webster Pease was born in Hartford, Conn., April 10, 1810. When a young man he went to Massachusetts, and there learned the carpenter trade. From there he went to the state of New York, where he married Miss Lucinda Robinson. Three children were born to this union: Emeline, George M. and Addie. The first born died in New York. George M. now lives in Decorah, Iowa. Addie married P. A. Ford of Chicago, and lives there at this date. Mrs. Pease died in her native state.
In the year 1845, Mr. Pease married Lucy Older in Walworth county, Wisconsin. Eight children were born to this second union: Elmer W., Henry C., Oscar and Orison [twins] Mary E., Clara M., Parker S. and Fred. From Wisconsin the family moved to Boone county, Illinois and located on a small piece of land. They sold this land in 1854, and in the winter of '55, in company with William H. Linderman came to Iowa and deeded from the government 160 acres of land lying in sections 14 and 23, Dresden township. The following spring he moved to Iowa, but stopped at West Union. Here he stayed one end one-half years then came to his land here. Times were hard and there was but little to do in the way of building.
In 1858,he moved to Wadena, Fayette county, and worked at his trade until 1860, when he came to his farm and lived there until his death, the fall of 1881. His second wife died in 1873. Mary E. died in October 1870; Clara married Chris. Beaver, she died in August 1877; Parker died in West Union in 1855; Elmer lives in Fredericksburg; Henry lives at Ruthven, Iowa; Oscar and Orson live at Burlington, Washington: Fred is living somewhere in the western part of this state. Mr. Pease married a third wife, a Mrs. Kerr, who survived him.
Harvey J. Pelton, son of Ransom and Mary (Waggoner) Pelton, was born in Chautauqua county, New York, town of Portland. Came with his parents to Iowa in the fall of 1868. Was married to Mary Hoyt, daughter of Sanford and Keziah (Lane) Hoyt, May 21, 1871. Children born to these parents, Myrtle V., Ora A,, Sanford H., and Renel R. All of them are living. Myrtle married Darwin Fish January, 1894. Sanford married Hattie Randall, they now live at Emmetsburg, Iowa. Ora and Renel are at home. Mr. Pelton sold his farm and moved to town in the spring of 1906.
John Phillips was born in Crawford county, Wisconsin, February 3, 1857. Son of George W. and Mary Phillips. Came to Fredericksburg in 1879. Learned the trade of a blacksmith with George Grems & Co. Opened a shop of his own in 1882. Married July 10, 1884, to Eliza Brown, daughter of Michael Brown. Sold his shop and moved to Brown county, Dakota.
Charles Pitts was born in the state of Massachusetts in the month of October, 1786. His father was an Englishman, born at Bristol, England. His mother was of Scotch extraction. The name at that time was Pitt. How or when the "s" eas added we do not know. His father died while his children were young, leaving his widow poor. She was obliged to bind her children out. Charles, like the others, underwent some bitter experiences during his boyhood days. Speaking of those days he said to me: "William, I never had a pair of boots until I earned them after I became my own man. I went barefoot during the summer and did not receive shoes for the winter until long after the frosts came. His education was limited. When twenty-one, he hired out by the month for the sum of one hundred dollars a year. After one year he went to Vermont and then worked four more years. In the year 1811 he was married to Miss Polly Green Smith of Windsor, Vermont. She was born in Connecticut. With his wife he went to the Dominion of Canada. June 19, 1812 war was declared between the United States and Great Britain. He then had to take the oath of allegience to the King or get out. He chose the latter, but he lost the few hundred dollars he had invested there.
He settled at Crown Point, New York. From there he was drafted into the army. Was sent to Plattsburg; took part in the battle there, was one of the party detached to pull the plank from the bridge, so that the British soldiers could cross only on the stringers, from which they were shot by the cannon. When Perry gained the victory on Lake Erie the war ceased. For his services in the war he received a land warrant for 160 acres of land, and near the close of her life, his widow $8.00 a month pension. After the war he moved to Rutland, Vermont. From there, in 1825, he moved to Orleans county, New York, town of Yates. In 1840, he moved into Niagra county, town of Hartland. In 1849 he sold his little farm and moved to Rock county, Wisconsin; bought eighty acres of land three miles east of the village of Union. In 1856, be came to Fredericksburg and lived with his son William. His step was feeble, his eyes were dim. He died April 23, 1867. Buried at the West cemetery. Polly G., his wife, our own dear mother, remained thirteen years longer, dying April 4, 1880, at the ripe age of 85 years. She rests by the side of her husband in the West cemetery. Nine children were born to these people: Five of them died while young. Maria married Jonathan Tuttle in the state of New York; she died at the age of 76 years. Mary Ann married Ralph Ray, of Yorkshire England: she died in 1871. Cyrus S., lives in New London, Conn. Wm. S., lives in Fredericksburg.
W. S. Pitts was born at "Lums Corners," Orleans County, N. Y., August 18th, 1830, son of Charles and (Polly Green Smith) Pitts. Came with his parents to Wisconsin in 1849--married in December 1859 to Ann Eliza Warren, daughter of Asheal K. and Eliza Ann (Robinson) Warren. Five children born to this union, four girls, one boy, Alice M., Grace Lorena, Nellie M., William Stanly and Kate B. Grace and Nellie died in their infancy. Moved to Fredericksburg April 16, 1862. Began the study of medicine in 1865, graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago class of 1868. First wife died August 12, 1886, married second time September 13, 1887 to Mrs. Martha A. Granuis of Earlville. Followed the the practice of Medicine until October 1906, when he sold his home and moved to Clarion, Wright county, Iowa.
Frederick Plaggenkule, proprietor and owner of "Dividing Ridge" farm, was born in Hanover, Germany, September 1, 1846. Son of J. H. Wanhoff and Catherine Plaggenkule. His mother being heir to the Plaggenkule estate, her name according to the laws of Hanover could not be changed, so the father, John H. Wanhoff had to change his name to Plaggenkule. Frederick Plaggenkule was married to Engeline Hacksted, January 2, 1871, at Fredericksburg, Iowa. Thirteen children have been born to this union--six sons and seevn daughters--and at this time are all alive. Their daughter Sophia is married to 0. M. Roberts. Henry married Mary Drier; Charles married Ida Niewoehner; Fred Jr. farms for himself 280 acres in Banks township; Anna, Nettie, William, Lizzie, August, Alvina and Lena are with their parents.
Mr. Plaggenkule was the first German settler in the vicinity of the German Lutheran Church which is now composed of sixty-five families. His dealings in land began at $5.00 an acre and holdings at this date are considered cheap at $60.00 an acre. Mr. Plaggenkule is one who believes in living up-to-date. In 1900 he subscribed for a good bit of stock in the Sumner telephone company. He has 'phone in his house, and he also has a daily mail come to his door. All these things places Dividing Ridge farm as regards modern conviences fully up with any in the state. He has deeded to his sons 560 acres of land, and he still enjoys the ownership of 1000 acres. Mr. Plaggenkule is a man of more than the average ability, a most excellent business man and himself and family are people that any township would be proud of.
WiiIIam PIaggenkule lives on the northeast quarter of section 24. He is a brother of Frederick Plaggenkule. He is a prosperous farmer and influential citizen. He has been on his land some twenty years. He was born in Hanover, Germany and came with his parents to America. Married and settled In Fredericksburg in 1872 or 1873, we think.
M. C. PIummer was born in Jackson county, Indiana, September 19, 1843; son of Thomas J. and Mary Plummer. Married in Pecatonica, Illinois, September 22, 1868 to Miss Emily Neely. Moved to Evansville, Minn.; remained there eighteen years. Children born to this union: Effie M., Winfield C, Clellie T., all living except Winfield who died in 1905. He was divorced from first wife. Came to Iowa in 1886. Married to Miss Allie Freemire September 1886. Four children by second marriage: Leland S., Eria M., Theron and Cecil. Of these children but one, Erya, is living. Two of the children met tragic deaths--Theron being burned to death and Leland was accidentally killed by being shot by one of his playmates. Mr. Plummer enlisted the first day of May 1864, in company "C" 137 regiment Indiana volunteer infantry. Discharged from the service of the U. S. on the twenty-first day of September, 1864, at Indianapolis, Indiana, by reason of exporation of term of service. Mr. Plummer has been a resident of Fredericksburg a number of years. He draws a pension.
Dan Pond was born in Shoreham, Vermont, December 24, 1813. Son of Munson Pond. He was married in Vermont to Polly Munger. They moved to Wisconsin in 1844, settling in Dane county. Came to Fredericksburg in 1858. Children born to this union: Henry, Leslie R., C. M., Watson, William and Josie L. Mr. Pond was post master but did not attend to the office, Elisha Smith, deputy, did the work. He was also a hotel keeper, and kept the Fountain House for a number of years. He was in the hotel business in Wisconsin for years. He died May 18, 1899, and was buried in Rose Hill. Mrs. Pond is still living.
Henry Pond was born in Vermont October 31, 1842. Son of Dan and Polly (Munger) Pond. Came with his parents to Wisconsin. Grew to manhood there. Came to Fredericksburg, Iowa, in April, 1858. After six years went back to Wisconsin and enlisted in the First Wisconsin Heavy Artillery, Company L. Mustered out at Alexandria, Virginia; discharged at Milwaukee 1865. Married at Rutland, Wisconsin, December 1868. Came to Iowa at once. Five children, Etta, Irwin, Ethlene, Porter, and Lena. Etta, married A. V. Lane of Chicago, a druggist. They live there. Ethlene married Thomas H. Lane of Chicago, a tea merchant, who is still in business there. Irwin when last heard from was in Dakota. Porter is still single and lives in the city of Tacoma, state of Washington. Lena married a Mr. Phillips of Chicago. Mrs. Henry Pond died in February 1884; buried at Maple Grove cemetery. Mr. Pond is still a widower.
L. W. Pond was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, October 29, 1846. Son of Dan and Polly M. [Munger] Pond. Lived there until the spring of 1858, when he came with his parents to Fredericksburg, Iowa. In the year of 1867, he returned to Wisconsin and learned the trade of harness maker at Edgerton and Fort Atkinson. Returned to Iowa in 1868. Opened a shop for himself at Fredericksburg in 1869. Married September 1870, to Miss Ella Bassett, daughter of Joseph and Frances Bassett of Dresden township. Two children born to this union: Earl Stanley, March 28, 1872; Alma Bernice, April 8, 1879. Earl Stanley is single, lives in Waterloo; Alma B., married Roy W. Kendall, June, 1905, they reside at Janesville, Iowa. Ella Bassett Pond died October 27, 1880; buried in Maple Grove cemetery.
Mr. Pond married for his second wife Miss Clara Dean, daughter of William T. and Sarah Dean of Cedar Rapids, December, 1886. Two children were born to this union: Frank Leslie, born April, 1889; Harold Rollin, born Jan. 1, 1894. In 1896, Mr. Pond sold his harness business to his son Earl. Moved to Waterloo in 1901, and from there to Chicago in 1905, where he still resides.
AIanson Potter was born in Connecticut. He was married in Vermont to Sulphina Evarts. Came to Iowa 1855 locating on section 24 Dresden township. Bought a farm of his son-in-law, John Hadley, 80 acres. Seven children were born to this union: Minervia E., Ira, Henry, Maria, Emeline, Orville and Carlton. Minervia married Godfrey Vail. Ira is dead. Henry is a widower and lives in California. Marie married John Hadley, she is dead. Emeline is the wife of John Russell a resident of this town. Orville lived on the old farm, died March 1902. Carlton is in California. Alanson Potter died June 25th 1864 and his wife Oct. 1, 1874.
In July 1855, James Potter, his wife Rhoda, and six children, came from Pennsylvania. Mr. Potter built a pole shanty for his family near the spot of land where the Baptist church now stands. This shanty was not waterproof, and when it rained Mrs. Potter would push the bed into one corner that did not leak, and put such things upon it as should be kept dry, put the children under the bed and let it rain. They lived in this shanty until October of the same year, when they moved in with J. A. Billings, where they stayed until Mr. Potter completed a log house on his own farm on section 19-94-11 where he moved November 15, 1855. This farm lays one mile south of town on the east side of the road. The log house stood one hundred rods east of the present highway; it fell down in 1877. A grove of wild plum trees and a few cottonwoods now mark the spot.
The fall of 1865, Mr. Potter bought S. G. Merriam's house in town and moved it onto his farm. Here they lived until the fall of '85 when he purchased property in town to which they moved, and here they died.
Fidelia, the oldest daughter, married James Hubbard, and they live in the house where her parents died. James Potter, Jr., married in Kansas, but lives here at this writing. Amos, a lawyer by profession, died at Paoli, Kansas, the spring of 1874. Benjamin married Eliza, daughter of Samuel and Julia Marsh; she died June 13, 1883, and was buried at Maple Grove cemetery. Lottie Potter married Wm. March; they live here in town. Clara married Mr. Schuyler VanGordon; they live in Wisconsin.
Alanson Pratt came to Fredericksburg township in the spring of 1869. In the year 1864 he married Miss Mary B. Tobey. They had three children: Eddie, Clara and Frank. Eddie married a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Mark Fowler, he lives in Worthington, Minn.; Clara married George Herrick, they live at Waterloo, Iowa; Frank is dead. In 1889 or 1890 Mr. Pratt sold his farm and moved to Waterloo. Here his wife died the winter of 1901-2. He is a widower and still lives at Waterloo.
Alfred Pratt came here in 1869. He went to Dakota, and I learn he is married. Have no further knowledge of him.
Hiram G. Pratt, son of John G. Pratt, was born in Allamakee county, Iowa, and came here in 1869; located on section 22. Married Flora Cole; she died April 21, 1878, Ieaving one daughter named May, who is the wife of Irwin Marshall of Denver, Colorado. Mr. Pratt sold his farm to his brother Lemuel and learned the trade of a butter maker. He married for his second wife, Miss Minnie Linderman, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Linderman; they reside in Waterloo, Iowa.
John G. Pratt, Sr., was born in Hebron, Me. Married in Maine. Came to Allamakee county, Iowa in 1856. Here his wife died in January 1866. In the month of April, 1869, he came with his sons Lemuel and Alanson to Fredericksburg township. He died at the home of his son Hiram; I have not the exact date, but it was the seventies. Seven children were born to these parents: Maria, John, Lemuel, Alanson, Hiram, Wilson and Alfred. Maria married Spencer Gillette, he died in 1890; she married for her second husband Henry Beaver; she is now a widow and resides in North Dakota. John died in Waukon, Iowa.
Lemuel Pratt came to Fredericksburg township in 1869. Married in September 1866 to Julia Ogg. Children born them: Clarence, Lenna, Minnie F. and Olive. Clarence married a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Wolf, lives in Idaho; Minnie F. married Joseph Parks, lives in Fredericksburg township; Olive married Hugh Adams, lives in this township.
Wilson Pratt, son of John G. Pratt, came here with his father in 1869. He studied for the ministry and the last I knew of his whereabouts he was in .Jersey City, N. J.
W. D. Purdy was born in Sumner township, Bremer county, Iowa, in the year 1858. Was married in 1881 to Miss Anna Knight. Five children were born to these parents: Lyda, Edith, Allan, Roy and Ruth (twins). Lyda is a stenographer, lives in Chicago; Edith is a school teacher; Allan assists his father on the farm.
Mr. Purdy has been a farmer all these years. He owns a fine farm in this township. He is very popular with the people, especially so with the farming community. At the present writing he holds the position of treasurer of the Fredericksburg Butter Factory, a position of great trust, as nearly one hundred thousand dollars passes through his hands yearly. He is also Secretary of the Farmers Produce Association. He is a man of not many words but one who does a lot of excellent thinking.
Page created by Lynn McCleary, March, 2013