| CHICKASAW COUNTY
Another IAGenWeb Project
By W. S. Pitts
Submitted by Beverly Witmer & Lynn McCleary, March 14, 2013
Submitted by Beverly Witmer & Lynn McCleary, March 14, 2013
A. W. Laabs was born in Fredericksburg township September 15, 1880, son of Charles and Johanna (Moldenhauer) Laabs. Left home at the age of nineteen. Went for self. Married November 18, 1903 to Miss Bertha Potratz, daughter of Emmet and Martha (Dallman) Potratz. Came to Fredericksburg March 1, 1906 and engaged in the boot and shoe business.
A. F. Ladwig was born in Germany. Came to America with his parents. Came to Iowa, locating in Bremer county. He was married in 1876 to Ada Knight, daughter of Mr. Albert Knight. Occupation, a farmer. Came to Fredericksburg township in 1881. Six children born to this union: Ada, Chris, Grace, Erwin, Katie and Glenn. Erwin died July 14, 1895. None of these children are married. Grace and Kate carry on dress making at Sumner. Mr. Ladwig carries on a farm of 340 acres.
Mr. and Mrs. Martin Langdon came to this county from Illinois. They located in Dresden township. The date of their coming was sometime about 1857-8. How many children they had we are unable to state, but we know three: Edwin, Henry and Anna. The latter married Frank Still. Edwin went to Florida and died there, one of his sons lives here, Jay Langdon, he married Ella Delap. Henry and family moved to Kansas some years ago.
Mr. and Mrs. Martin Langdon were members of the Baptist church. The date of his death I have not. He was buried on the farm where he lived. Mrs. Langdon died, we think in 1888-9, buried by her husband.
Joseph Leach, an old resident, was born in England. I cannot give the date of his coming to America. He was married in the state of Missouri, to Martha Harrison. Came from that state here in 1854 or 1855. Settled in Bremer county, on the county line between Chickasaw and Bremer. He has been a successful man in the way of accumulating property. In the hardest times he always had money for all his wants and to loan. His land interests have been large, and today he holds deeds for 1200 acres of land in his own right. Mrs. Leach, deceased. The children are Lee Walter, Mary, John, Frank, James, Annabelle and Robert. Lee Walter married Irene Sponible, lives in Dresden township. Mary married Cordine Russell, lives in Fredericksburg township. John William--called Jack, married Lelia Miller of Waverly, lives with his father. Frank married Adella Ackley, lives in Dresden township. James married a daughter of Charles and Kate Heinboldt, lives in Dresden township. Annabell married Sam Dawson, lives in Fredericksburg township. Robert married Althea Miller, of Waverly; he lives near the home farm. Joseph Leach is still a widower.
Among the early settlers was the Ambrose Legg family. The father went into the war with the sixth Iowa Cavalry, Company "L". He returned and went to live with his son William, at Clermont, Iowa, where he died. Thomas lived on the farm now owned by J. D. Milne. He was in the army in Company “B", Fourth Cavalry, and now lives at Portage, Wisconsin. Samuel M. was in the Fourth Cavalry, Company "H"; he died at Keokuk, Iowa. Otis was in the Second Iowa Cavalry; he lives in Richland township. William Legg lives at Clermont, Iowa.
James B. Linderman was born in Ithaca, N.Y., August 30, 1830; son of John and Nancy Linderman. Came with his parents to Capron, Boone county, Illinois. Married July 2, 1862, to Mary Rose Large, an English woman. Came to Iowa in 1862, locating on land in Dresden township. Four children born to these parents: Herbert John, born August 24, 1863; Nellie A., born September 22, 1866; Minnie E., born December 26, 1867; Cury R., born February 22, 1874, died June 30, 1875.
Mr. Linderman moved to Fredericksburg the spring of 1894, Mrs. Linderman died October 2, 1902. Herbert married the fall of 1892, to Mary Belle Brace; Minnie E., married October 23, 1895 to Hiram G. Pratt. Mr. Linderrnan is still a widower.
William 11. Linderman was born in the state of New York, February 29, 1824; son of Henry and Dianah Linderman. While an infant his parents brought him to Manchester, Illinois where they settled. He lived there during the days of his minority. He married Parmelia Adams, daughter of Samuel and Catherine (Masicar) Adams, Came to Iowa, Chickasaw county in 1854; located on section 23, Dresden township, where he built a log house, Mr. Linderman also bought 245 acres on sections 14 and 15 and afterwards built on section 14 where he died. He also owned lands on section 22; at one time be owned 400 acres of excellent land. Eight children graced this union: Alpheus, Myron, Sarah, Merritt K., Pannia, Carrie, Frank and Edward, Myron, Sarah, Carrie, Frank and Alpheus are dead. During the years of Mr. Linderman's residence here he spent one year in California. He was a great worker, carried on a large farm, kept an excellent stock of horses and cattle and more than all, he was a man of generous impulses, every ready to help a neighbor when in financial straits be he rich or poor.
Mrs. Linderman died March 14, 1896; Mr. Linderman died January 27, 1897; both are buried in the West cemetery.
When we came here we met on the street a man dressed in the best of broadcloth and wearing a silk hat. Such a turnout seemed out of place among a people, who, as a rule, were poorly dressed, so much so that at once we inquired who he was. We were told that he was a missionary sent here by an eastern church to care for a small band of Presbyterians in this vicinity. His name was L. R. Lockwood. He was a man of spare build, about five feet eight inches in height, complexion dark, hair black, eyes black with a peculiar snap or twitch to them, denoting a high nervous temperment. He had not been here long before there began to be trouble at the Lockwood home, and for some reason the eastern remittances came to a stop. Rev. Lockwood was not doing missionary work as he ought, he was drinking too much alcohol under the guise of medicine.
Then began the struggle of his life--first for subsistence and secondly his fight with the Synod for reinstatement. He sold everything he could spare from his household furniture, then cloth that bad been sent to him for clothes, and also his wife's clothing. He had his third wife and they quarreled incessantly. Step by step they went, down the grade until they became objects of charity. They moved from the village into a log house northwest of town where Mrs. Lockwood died. She is buried on one of the lots owned by Mr. Wyant, on the place west of the old Logan House, or the old Rowly home; her resting place is unmarked. Mr. Lockwood had three wives; how many children by them and where they are today, God only knows. Rev. Lockwood went into Bremer county near Waverly. His children he gave away, but one boy he would steal away from his home and we think he finally kept him with him. To the last day he fought the "Synod." He was a man of ability, a college graduate and had been in charge of excellent churches before corning here. Drink ruined him. He contracted for a few acres of land near Waverly where he lived alone the most of the time. One day he went to town and when night came he did not go back to his home but stopped at the Fortner House. The next morning he was found dead in his bed. A sad end for a once brilliant man.
A. H. Lowry, an older brother of the Lowry family, was born in Winnebago county, Ill. In 1881 he married Luella Carpenter of Pecatonica, Illinois. They came to this township in I889 and bought the Thomas P. Vokes farm of his brother, Clarence, who bought it from the Vokes estate. They have three children, Hazel, Glenn and Homer. The spring of 1901 he rented his farm and, with his family, went back to Illinois. His resent residence is Pecatonica. This man, Lowry, deals largely in horses, fine drivers, which he buys, breaks and matches for the Chicago market. He is a born horseman.
Clarence Lowry, son of Marcus and Hannah Lowry, was born in Winnebago county, Ill., in December, 1857, where he spent his boyhood days. He was married in 1879 to Kate Conger, who died the spring of 1881, leaving no children. He married a second time in December, 1886, to Martha Janellie Thorne. They came to Fredericksburg township in 1887 and bought a farm on section six. Two children were born to this union; Julius Lindsey and Clinton Elbert. Mr. Lowry raises some fine horses of the CIeveland Bay breed.
David Lowry, son of Marcus and Hannah Lowry, was born in the state of Illinois, Winnebago, county, where he spent his minority. February 29, 1879, he was united in marriage to Miss Lillie Thorne, daughter of Julius P. and Elizabeth Thorne, who, the year prior, had removed from Winnebago county, Illinois., to Iowa, settling on the Salisbury farm in Stapleton township. Immediately after the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Lowry, they went to the state of Nebraska and located on a farm near Fairmont. Here they lived five years, and here their first: and only child was born; a son whose name is Claude. Mr. Lowry sold out in Nebraska and came here with his family. He bought the farm they now live upon of Thomas Malloy, a fractional quarter, 137.09 acres. Not long after he bought of Edward Buckley 160 acres on section 1, Dresden township, and in the spring of 1901, he bought of D. Mack, 80 acres in the north-east quarter of the same section. He now has an excellent farm of nearly 400 acres. Like the rest of the Lowry's, he loves good horses and he raises them. Mrs. Lowry and her son are very much engaged in the poultry business and yearly they raise from two to three hundred of the famous Plymouth Rock fowls. They raise good ones, such as take first prizes at the poultry shows.
William Lyman, the father of Dell Lyman and Mrs. J. H. Benedict, owned 240 acres on section 17. His home for years was in Wisconsin. He came and went, visiting his children. He was a very pleasant, kind hearted man. He has gone to his reward.