| CHICKASAW COUNTY
Another IAGenWeb Project
By W. S. Pitts
Submitted by Beverly Witmer & Lynn McCleary, March 14, 2013
Submitted by Beverly Witmer & Lynn McCleary, March 14, 2013
John Hadley came here in 1854 from Cook county, Illinois. He married Maria Potter, daughter of Alanson and Sulphina (Evarts) Potter. He located on Sec. 24, the west half of the northeast quarter of 94-12-eighty acres. This land he sold to Alanson Potter, his father-in- law, and moved to Auburn, Fayette county, where he died July 24,1873. No children. His widow married again, separated from her husband and died in this town December 9, 1897. She was buried in the West cemetery.
Edward Halpin, one of the late comers, located on section 3. He married a McQueeney girl. They have a number of children. Mr. Halpin has proved himself a money maker and a money saver. The spring of 1902 he sold his farm to Avery W. Carey, and his farm in Bremer county to Haskett and Carey. Mr. Halpin removed to Minnesota to a farm not far from St. Cloud.
Darius B. Hanan was born in Ohio. From there he emigrated to Wisconsin in 1850. His next move was to Iowa, locating in West Union, Payette county. In 1857 he married Caroline Hale of West Union. He located in Fredericksburg immediately after his marriage. We first met him here in June 1857. In 1862 he lived in the house where Sam Wesp lives today. He was called at that time a lawyer, and he had also been a Justice of the Peace. He was the first and only attorney the town of Fredericksburg has ever had. He was a devoted democrat, and during the war he was much in evidence in county politics. In 1869 he ran for representative for the 57th district on the democratic ticket. He was beaten by G. W. Butterfield, republican. In 1871 he came up again for the same office and won it from the same Mr. Butterfield. Mr. Hanan received 889 votes. He was taken sick and did not go to Des Moines that term. In 1873he was on hand again. His competitors were F. D. Bosworth and William Tucker. Mr. Hanan was elected. He received 894 votes, F. D. Bosworth 641 and William Tucker 296. In 1874 he moved to New Hampton and went into law practice with H. H. Potter. He continued in the law practice until poor health drove him from the field. He died in New Hampton. Mr. Hanan was very fond of a good road horse and bred several Bashaw horses, but among all his horses he seemed to think the most of "Lady Clay." Two children were born to this union, Ada and Alice. Ada married John Burgitt of New Hampton. She died at Humboldt Iowa. Alice married Lee Miller of New Hampton. She died there. Mrs. Hanan remains a widow. She lives at New Hampton. Husband and children gone she is a very lone woman, and today she lives very much in the past.
L. D. Hartson and wife Elizabeth came here from Dodge county, Wisconsin. They were originally from Susquehanna, county Penn. They came here about 1858. They first lived in Fredericksburg for three years, after that they lived in the South-east corner of New Hampton township on section 36. In 1879 he went to Kansas. The children were, Naman, James B. married Mary Snyder, and in 1875 went to Kansas; Riley married at Plainfield; Julia married T. J. Parker and went to Dakota in an early day. Mr. Parker is dead. She lives in Minneapolis, is still a widow.
Patrick Harvey, son of Patrick and Mary Harvey, was born in Ireland in 1832. At the age of sixteen he came to America, his first stop being in Westchester county, New York, where he learned the hatters trade. He remained there eight years, and in 1858 was married to Mary Lacy, a native of Ireland. The same year be removed to Bremer county, Iowa where he lived until 1872, when he located in Fredericksburg township, Chickasaw county, where he now lives. He owns 500 acres of land. They have nine children:--John, Patrick, Catherine, Mary, Joseph, Benedict, Rosana and William. Mr. Harvey has been a prominent man in the church and in township responsibilities, having served as township trustee and school treasurer.
Chris T. Haskett was born in Canada in 1854. Came with his parents to Iowa in 1857; to Fredericksburg in 1862. In 1875 he went into the hardware business in Waucoma, Fayette county. Here be staid about one year. In 1876 he went into a general store in Fredericksburg. This stock he sold to M. L. Sherman in 1880. He then bought the creamery and run it two years, when he sold it to Kipp & Harris of New Hampton. Went to Wisconsin, near Beloit, and run a creamery a year. In 1884 he returned and rebought the creamery, which he run to 1886, when he sold it to the farmers. From that date to the present he has been engaged in buying live stock and grain. Mr. Haskett is a sharp, shrewd, business man, one of quick judgement and discernment. He was married to Kate Marie Warren, March 7, 1877. They have a beautiful home on his land in town. No children.
James G. Haskett was born in Ireland in 1817. Emigrated to Canada when a young man. Married in Canada to Lucy Gaynor, who was also born in Ireland. In the year1857, Mr. Haskett with his family removed to Iowa, and located at Fayette, Fayette county, where be remained six years. He then moved to Chickasaw county, locating at Fredericksburg where he engaged in the mercantile trade at once, continuing in that business until 1878. With his family he then removed to Blue Rapids, Kansas. From there to Vermillion, same state. Here Mrs. Haskett died August, 1886. James G. Haskett now lives in Yonkers, state of New York, as hale and strong a man as can be found any where at the age of 89 years. Mr. Haskett was a man of distinct personality, rigid and upright in his business, quick spoken and brusque in his manner. Nine children were born to these parents: Christopher T., Hannah, Charles J., Walter, Lucy, Katie and Laura. The above named are living; two died--one in Canada and the other at Fayette, Ia. Christopher T., is married and lives in Fredericksburg; Charles J. married, lives at Centralia, Kansas. Hannah is single and lives at Yonkers, New York; Walter is single, is at Yonkers, N. Y., secretary of the Y. M. C. A. of that city; he is one of the brightest young men of that city. He is fully devoted to his work and an acknowledged success in his calling. The Y. M. C. A. has made rapid strides forward under his administration. Lucy married Rev. C. M. Cate of Yonkers, they now live in the city of Brooklyn, where Rev. Gate is pastor of a church. Kate is single, home at Yonkers, a school teacher; Laura married Clarence Bannister, they live at Moline, Illinois.
J. H. Herrick was born in DeWaynsburg, Schenectady county, New York, May 2. 1827. He is the son of Leonard and Sarah Herrick. He was raised on a farm, received a common school education. July 29, 1849, he was united in marriage to Elizabeth Eldret, of Lincolnshire, England. They remained in New York until the spring of 1865, when they emigrated to Fredericksburg, Iowa. They lived on the Melmine farm two miles east of town for two years; they then moved an the old Carter farm in Dresden township where they lived two years, when they bought land in section 11-94-11, Fredericksburg township. Four children were born to this union: John D., born Nov. 19, 1850; Anna, born in July, 1854; William, born in July, 1856; and George, born October 19, 1860. They also had an adopted daughter, Anna Belle Gardner, daughter of Jacob and Anna Gardner, of New York, who was born in 1863. John D. Herrick married a daughter of Thomas Richardson, and is now one of the prosperous farmers of this township. Anna married Henry B. Colt and they now live at Gruver, Iowa. William married a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Dayton, they now live in Dresden township. George married a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alanson Pratt, they now reside in Waterloo, Iowa. Anna Belle is a professional nurse and lives in New York. Mrs. J. H. Herrick died September 21, 1885. Mr. Herrick sold his farm in 1899. He now lives at Gruver, Iowa.
John D. Herrick, son of J. H. and Elizabeth (Eldret)Herrick, was born in the state of New York. Came to Iowa, Chickasaw county, Fredericksburg township, with his parents. Married in July, 1835, to Della Richardson, daughter of Thomas and Flora (Harvey) Richardson. Went onto his farm in section 2, which now comprises 255 acres. Here he began the struggle of an Iowa farmer. To open a farm, cultivate it, erect even cheap buildings, and keep one's self square with the world is no small task. Mr. Herrick did all this and more. Today he owns one of the finest of farms with buildings upon it that are an honor to the township. Six children blessed this union: Elizabeth, Ben Harrison, Harvey, Harry, Dorothy and Lorimer. Ben Harrison was named after President Harrison. Mr. Herrick informed the president by letter of the naming, and the president in his own hand acknowledged it in a beautifully written letter. This letter little Ben Herrick will always keep. Harvey died at the age of one year. The rest are living and enjoying excellent health.
Mr. Herrick not only raises corn, oats, hay, etc., but he raises apples to a greater extent than any other farmer in the township. The varities that are the most reliable with him are the Duchess, Wealthy, Haas, Plumb's Cider, Minnesota, Early Strawberry, Whitney No. 20 and Alexander. He also grows a number of hybrids. He grows cherries and plums, blackberries and strawberries. He has over fifty varities of roses. The favorites are American Beauties, General Washington, General Jack and Madam Planter. In the way of trees he has about his home catalaps, walnut, butternut, shell bark hickory, spruce, pine, maples--both hard and soft. In the way of cattle he breeds the Holstein Fresian. One-half or more of his herd are thoroughbreds, the balance high grade. He separates his milk at home selling the cream. His yearly sales of cream run from $800 to $1000. He raises hogs of the strain known as Duroc Jersey or red hog. He likes them better than the Poland China, because he has reason to believe they will raise more pigs and that they are better mothers. He says that his hogs average when marketed 265 pounds. A few years ago Mr. Herrick built a fine residence, 28x28, 18 foot posts, with a wood shed 14x16. His barn is 68x72. Two hog houses each 28x48. A milk and cream house. All told a typical Iowa farm. He has named his home "Homewood."
Hillson was born in Conwood, Devanahire, England, in 1823. He remained with his parents until he was eighteen years old; then served in the English navy for a short time; afterwards serve an apprenticeship as a wheelwright for five years; then went to England and worked at his trade at Cheshire. In 1848 he was married to Sarah Elford of Devonshire. The following April they came to America, landing at Boston. They lived in Andover, four years, then moved to Rockford, Illinois, where they lived two years. In May 1855, they came to Iowa and located in Fredericksburg. Bought ninety acres of land of W. H. Linderman; built a house on the land and moved into it November 3, 1855.
Mr. Hillson was an ordained Methodist minister, and often filled the pulpit at the M. E. church. Himself and wife were among the charter members of the M. E. church here. He was the first wagonmaker here. His health was poor, lived a strict vegetarian, ate no meat, used no pepper, spice nor butter and seldom salt. In figure he was very spare, looked and acted tired out all the time. He was a great bible student,
Mrs. Hillson was a ready talker on almost any subject; she practiced midwifery; was a strict Hydropathist.
Three children constituted their family: Charles, Horace and Francis. Charles and Francis are dead. Horace lives in the 'Burg. Mr. Hillson died in July 1893 and Mrs. Hillson died in June 1894.
Martin Hinchey and wife came to Fredericksburg about the year 1858. The house in which they lived stood south of where the Baptist church and parsonage now stands. Mr. Hinchey was a quiet man, and one of not much personal independence or grit. His wife domineered him to suit herself. She was a thoroughly bad woman at heart and in morals. She did not stick at anything she might do to gain her ends. By her blandishments she wheedled old Ned Kelty out of eighty acres of land and got a deed of it. She ruined him financially. One day Mr. Hinchey came home and found his wife sitting on Mr. Ned Kelty's lap. After the passing of a few words the scrap began. Mrs. Hinchey closed the doors and went on with her work leaving the men to fight it out. When the round was ended and each had a black eye and the nose bleed, she ordered them to pull off their shirts that she might wash them. They did so and there the matter ended, Mr. Hinchey went into the service of the U. S. government, enlisting in the 6th Cavalry, Company “C.” Iowa Volunteers. He was discharged in 1865. He died here and is buried in the West cemetery.
To show the character of this woman the following incident will be a fair exhibit: -- One morning in the month of June Mr. C. M. Stone, constable, came along the street, warning every man to assist him to arrest Mrs. Hinchey for the misdemenor of selling liquor to men at her house. Fully as many as six or eight men went with him. As we neared the house we could hear the fussing around as though she was secreting something. Mr. Stone went to the door and demanded an entrance. Not a word was heard from the inside. He told her if she did not open the door he would break it down. Still no answer. He was barefoot, had on a pair of blue overalls, a hickory shirt, and weighed about 175 pounds. He stepped back one step and with his foot knocked that door clear from its hinges. As the door fell inwards she sprang upon it with a hatchet in her hand. She struck at him with it, but he caught the handle and wrenched it from her. Like an enraged lioness she flew at him with her hands scratching him in the face. He called out, "Rush in men! rush in!" Whether the men enjoyed the fight or not we cannot say, but they were slow about rushing in. Finally they caught her by her wrists and held her. She than began kicking them but they held on. In every room Mr. Stone found whiskey. In kegs and jugs, and a barrel half full covered with a quilt. In her bed she had several hundred dollars in currency. She was afraid that Mr. Stone would get that too, and as he turned the bed clothes to take out a five gallon bag of whiskey, she tore loose from the men and grabbed an axe that stood at the head of the bed and aimed a blow at his head, which if it had not been intercepted would have killed him instantly. This incident will give an idea of the make up of this woman. She finally moved to Waverly, Bremer county, and there kept a drinking place where she and her son Johnny carried on a system of drugging and robbing men. For robbing a man of a gold watch and some money they were both arrested, and Johnny had to serve a term in the penitentiary. The last we heard about her she was out near Sioux City.
Among the early settlers in the southeast part of the township was George Hinkley and wife Ann. He was born in the state of New York in the month of June 1833, his wife in England in 1842. Her maiden name was Dyke. They came to Iowa in 1866 and to Fredericksburg township in April, 1873. Seven children were born to them: Mary, March 10, 1860; Fred H., August 24, 1861; Allison R., May 7, 1863; Libbie, September 1867; John, December 26, 1869; Jennie, October 21,1871; Anna, October 5, 1873. John died October 26, 1876; Mary married Frank Griswold, of British Columbia, April 1900; Allison married December 17, 1888, to Hattie Speicher; Libbie married in the year 1891 to E. B. Davis of Omaha; Jennie died of consumption April 9, 1902; Anna married March 1896 to Carl Richardson. Mr. Hinkley died July 5, 1876. Mrs. Hinkley is still a widow. Moved to Fredericksburg in 1889.
Poland China or Magee----To John Dayton belongs the honor of bringing into this township this highly prized strain of hogs. He bought his stock in Ohio in 1872. He raised hundreds of them on his farm.
Berkshires--Buel Sherman introduced and bred this strain. He also bred the Suffolks.
The Chester Whites--To Edw. Kingsley belongs the credit of introducing this excellent breed of hogs into this part of Chickasaw county.
Jersey Reds--We think John D. Herrick is the man who first bred this strain of hogs in this township.
S. H. Holcomb was born in New York City,New York, January 1, 1836. Son of Henry A. and Hannah (Trask) Holcomb. Went with his parents to Cleveland, Ohio, in 1838. Afterwards to Geauga county, Ohio. Father died when S. H. was nine years old. He then went for himself. Was a sailor for three years on Lake Erie: did anything that he could to make a living for himself. Game to Iowa, Bremer county, 1856. Returned to Ohio the same season an account of the death of his mother; then came west again; worked for the Fox River Valley Company as engineer on steamboat on Fox Lake. The following season went to St, Louis and went on the Mississippi river. In December 1859, came to Fredericksburg. Married September 24, 1860: to Mrs. Cassondaria Cain, of Fredericksburg. Occupation farming. Continued at that business until the year 1836, when he moved to Fredericksburg where he still resides. No children born to this union. In I902 he entered the employ of the Farmers Produce Association of Fredericksburg as general manager, which position he still holds.
William T. Holman was born in Utica, New York, October 31, 1822. Son of John and Sally (Main) Holman. Lived during his minority at Rochester, New York. Married to Mary Ann James, March 11, 1845,at Rochester, N. Y. Came to Iowa in 1858, locating at Hardin, Clayton county. Removed to Fredericksburg in July, 1870. Six children blessed this union: Elizabeth, born in Rochester, New York, December 14, 1846; William F., born February 27, 1851; Charles Edward, born April 25, 1859; Frances EIiza and Emma Florence (twins) born in Hardin, Iowa, November 20, 1863; Carrie Ann, born March 8, 1866, in Covington, Penn. Elizabeth married Rev. J. H. Hoskyn, in June, 1875. William F. married, lives at Kane, Penn. Charles E. died at Hardin, September 3, 1859. Frances E. married Arthur Babcock who died October 16,1896. Carrie Ann married L. Stansbury, November 2, 1884. Mr. Holman in 1872, bought the stock of goods owned by Warren & Pitts and went into trade and continued in it until his death, which occurred May 28, 1876. Mrs. Holman died September 11, 1904.
There were many good teams brought here by the early settlers, but it was as late as 1851 before steps were taken to improve the breeding. In the year 1881 Mr. Cook sent here a very fine Norman horse named, I think, Louis XVI. He was a large horse, color, gray. The spring of 1881 the Fredericksburg Horse Association purchased of Smith & Powell of Syracuse, N.Y. the trotting bred stallion "Horse" by Teornedale, dam Erilene by Ashland, by Membrino Chief at a cost of $1320. He was a fine horse and sired excellent stock. "Devan" by Blue Danube was also purchased of Smith & Powell by a second Fredericksburg Horse Association at a cost of $1000. He did not prove a good investment.
PERCHERONS. An association of farmers bought one named "Nord" at a cost of $1600. He sired good servicable farm horses. He was sold and another one bought. He had his day and was sold . Upon the heels of this associntion another one of farmers thirty in number was formed. They bought a fine Percheron at a cost of $3000. William I. Colt, Sr. brought into the township several heavy class horses. The Normans were very popular. He owned one Clydesdale but they did not please our farmers. He also kept a Cleveland Bay horse but he was of little account as a sire.
CLEVELAND BAYS. With the coming of the Lowrys from Illinois dates the coming of the Cleveland Bay horses here. They are a rangy breed of horses. As a rule they are high knee actors and showy when in harness. They sell well in the cities for coach horses.
BELGIUM HORSE. Mr. Warburton about the year 1890 brought here two horses, one a Belgium and the other a Coach. He was here two years. In 1883 Jonathan Bradly brought a Belgium horse here.
CLYDESDALE HORSE. J. H. Herrick brought in one in the spring of 1884.
ENGLISH SHIRE HORSE. A company in the south part of the township own one. He is kept by George Chambers.
PAUL JOHN. This horse sired excellent road and work horses. When one remembers the horse Paul John one will remember George K. Manchester.
MORGANS. There was a strain of horses kept here called "Wege" named after a Norwegian who introduced the famous stallion into Fayette county. G. G. Crofts owned one of these strain called "Ben." They were Morgans, if we ever had any Morgan blood here.
THOROUGH-BREDS. No strictly bred were raised here. Bud Sherman owned a mare called "Wild Lizzie," that he bred to Merrill a son of Lexington. The colts were rangy, high mettled and nervous.
RACES. Charles Adrian No. 29533 by Adrian Wilkes, by George Wilkes, by Hambletonian 10, was owned by W. S. Pitts. He left excellent road horses, mostly pacers.
There was another horse brought here from Elgin, Illinois called "Old Bill" that left some of the most serviceable horses ever bred in the township. He was owned by the Muirs. His sire was the celebrated imported horse "Success" owned by Dunham of Illinois. His dam a trotting bred mare of a well known strain.
LaFayette Howe came here from Owatonna, Minnesota, somewhere about 1868. His wife, Mary, was a Tisdale. They had six children: Agnes, Lillie, Ella, Frank, Minnie and Hattie. Mr. Howe and wife owned and kept the hotel "Julien" for several years having bought it from William Johnson in 1879. After the railway came they moved the house down to Main street and rented it. Mrs. Howe died in California when on a visit to her daughter there. Mr. Howe married a second wife, Mrs. Freemire, she is dead. He owns a place in town, Agnes is in California; she has taught school about thirty years; she is a graduate of Stanford University. Lillie married Met Linderman, they have a fine farm and home in Dresden township. Ella is married and lives in California. Frank is married, lives in Nebraska; Minnie married a lawyer in Des Moines; Hattie married Clarence Thorne, lives at Redlands, California.
In 1862 there lived one mile east from town an old couple known as Ansel Hoyt, and wife Louis. Mr. Hoyt was a strong republican, and Greeley's New York Tribune, was his daily bread. During the days of the war he would come to town for his paper and when he had received it, he would start for home taking the center of the road, reading his paper as he went. If any one should call to him and say something derogatory about Greeley or his paper, his dander was up in a moment and the sparks of anger would fly from him like sparks from an Xray. This man died at his home August 9, 1880, aged 89 years, five months and twelve days. Louis, the wife, died March 9, 1882, aged 82 years, eleven months and five days. For several years the house was not disturbed and the weeds and the trees grew about it until it was nearly lost in the jungle. Finally Will Bishop bought the property, tore down the house, cleaned out the brush and weeds, trimmed the trees and built upon the spot the fine dwelling house where he lives at the present time.
The Hubbards, although settling just over the line in Bremer county, have been so closely identified with us in the building of a township that we have thought it best to enumerate them with us. The progenitor of the families located here, was Jeremiah Hubbard born in the state of New York. He came here in May, 1855. His sons known here are Luther and James.
Luther Hubbard was born in New York in 1832. His wife, Martha Hurlbut, was born in Ohio in 1834. They came to Iowa in 1855, locating near his father. Their children whom we know are Francis Adelbert, Charles, Addie, Will and Nettie. Francis Adelbert was married in 1874 to Mary E. Vanguilder. Charles married one of John Mark's daughters. Addie is the wife of James Broadie of Dresden town ship Nettie married a Farnham and now lives in Minnesota.
James Hubbard also came here in 1855. He married a daughter of James Potter, Sr. They now reside in town. They have an adopted boy, Harry Hubbard, who is a signal officer in the U. S. navy; at the present time he is assigned to the "Pennsylvania."
George Hunt was born in England. Married there to Mary Dawson. Came to America in the seventies. Lived on the Pennington farm in Bremer county several years. Bought a farm in Bremer county, Sumner township, 160 acres, upon which he built an excellent farm house and barn. Three children were born to this union, Mary, Herbert and Anna. Mary died while they lived on the Pennington farm. Herbert married Isabelle Barker, daughter of George and Isabelle [Swale] Barker. Anna married Edward Barker. They have been divorced and she is now the wife of Will Marsh. After years of hard work George Hunt built for himself and wife a house on a forty that he owned in this township. To this place they moved and prepared to take the world a little easier, renting the old place. Here Mrs. Hunt died the summer of 1899. Cause of death, cancer of the breast. Mr. Hunt still keeps this place, but the original farm he sold to his son Herbert, buying of him 40 acres nest to his giving him an 80 acre farm. Mr. Hunt is a typical Englishman in build and ruggedness, and a much respected citizen. He has entered into a second marriage.
Herbert Hunt, son of George and Mary (Dawson) Hunt, was born in England. Came with his parents to America in 1868. Lived in the state of Illinois nearly ten years. Came to Iowa in 1870. His parents rented the Thomas Pennington farm in Bremer county. Lived there ten years. Married to Isabelle, daughter of George and Isabelle (Swale) Baker in 1885. Lived with father-in-law one year, then located on section 6-93-11, 285 acres of Iand. Six children blessed this union: Mary, Harry, Alice, Alta, Willie, Glen, also one babe which died soon after birth. In '93 Mr. Hunt built one of the finest farm houses along the county line at a cost of $2,000.
Edgar A. Hurmence lives on section 30, Bethel township, Fayette county. He is an extensive land owner, and the bulk of his land lies in Fredericksburg township. The subject of this sketch was born in Columbia county, state of New York in 1853, being the eldest son of Alfred and Catherine Clow) Hurmence. The Hurmence family, of HoIland extraction, was established during colonial days upon the banks of the Hudson river. Edgar A. came with his parents when eleven years of age, to Independence, Iowa, where he acquired a common school education and was reared to manhood. January 1, 1867, he was united in marriage with Miss Frances Ann Norman, a native of Ohio, daughter of Nicholas and Mary (Taylor) Norman, who were natives of England. Mr. and Mrs. Hurmence came to Fayette county in 1880, where he purchased an improved farm of 240 acres. Since then he has purchased land, adding to his original farm until he owns 640, all under a high state of cultivation. Upon his farm are four dwellings, his own home being it a substantial and tasty residence which he built at a cost of $4,000.00, and is supplied with all the comforts and many of the luxuries of life. Mr. Hurmence is a breeder of Durham cattle and Poland China hogs. He is one of the wealthy citizens of the township. In politics he is a Republican. His wife belongs to the Methodist church. Seven children have blessed this union: Luella, March 14, 1878; Fred, March 8, 1880; Edith, February 21, 1882; Charlie, March 30, 1884; Willie, January 30, 1886; Ida, February 3, 1888; Edgar, August 10, 1890. We acknowledge our obligations to the Portrait and Biographical Album of Fayette County for the above sketch. Mr. Hurmence is the President of the Sumner Telephone Company.