Another IAGenWeb Project


By W. S. Pitts

Submitted by Beverly Witmer & Lynn McCleary, March 14, 2013

~ F ~


G. H. Fay was born at Antwerp, Jefferson county, New York, July 27, 1860. Son of Ezekil and Sophia (Holden) Fay. Lived with his parents during his minority. Came to Iowa with them the summer of 1863, locating in Leroy township, Bremer county. Married January 2, 1882, to Miss Addie C. Pratt, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Elisha R. Pratt of Sumner township, Bremer county. Removed to Dresden township, Chickasaw county, 1890. One child born to this union: Jessie L., October 15, 1882. This daughter was married January 2, 1902, to Mr. Frank S. Marr of New Hampton. Mr. Fay was town clerk of Leroy township, Bremer county, one term.


John M. Ferris, oldest son of Benjamin and Lydia Ferris, was born in Chenango county, New York, in 1823. He was married to Miss Miranda M. Fish, in 1854. In 1856 he left New York and came to Chickasaw county, Iowa. He came to Fredericksburg in 1866 or 1867, and settled on section six. Three children were born to this union; Frankie L., Flora C., and Arthur F. Frankie and Arthur live in New Hampshire we believe. Both are married. Frankie married Stillman Lovejoy of Lawler, and Arthur married Kate Forward. Flora married Dell Lyman and lives in Fredericksburg. Mr. Ferris died October 21, 1886. Mrs. Ferris is still a widow, lives in Fredericksburg.

FIRES. pg 198

The sawmill owned by Frederick Padden was destroyed by fire in 1857 and the second mill erected on the same site was burned in January 1860.

John Miller's saloon building on the lot now occupied by the Mrs. J. M. Ferris was burned the spring of 1870.

In the spring of 1862 J. V. Carpenter's residence was destroyed by fire.

The most disastrous fire that has visited the village occurred in February 1877 when Padden Bros. Hardware store, Mrs. L. F. Howe and Mrs. DoIphus Stone's Millinery establishment and Amaziah Smith's Merchant tailoring establishment were destroyed by fire.

J. G. Haskett's store building occupied by L. Padden as a drug and hardware store burned in the spring of 1881.

In October 1882 the Bolton building occupied by Pomeroy & Co. grocery store was destroyed by fire.

October 10,1892, M. C. Plummer's barn was destroyed by fire. The fire was set by some little children playing in the barn. Two of the children Theron PIummer and Edward Hankner, were burned to death.

The Julien House was destroyed by fire in 1895. Charles Sullivan was its proprietor at that time.

The winter of 1901 the M. E. parsonage burned. It was occupied at the time by Rev. P. J. Leonard.

The Livery barn owned by H . L. Turner was burned the spring of 1905. Webster Bros. were occupying it at the time.


One of the old families in town was that of Timothy S. Flowers. He came here in 1857. He died here. His widow died a number of years later at McGregor, Iowa. The children are scattered. "Gibby," as we called him, lives near McGregor. Lottie married Thomas Legg. DeIla is dead. Emma married Earnest Johnson. There was a son somewhere in Colorado we think; he left here in an early day.


George Fountain lived here a short time. He gave the name to the "Fountain House." He moved to Nashua; was in business with F. W. Barron. He died in South Dakota.


Allen Frame and wife, Carrie J., came to this township about 1870. Located on section 27, on the farm owned by R. S. Pease. He built a log house, the only one on the prairie. They lost one daughter while here, Mertie May, who fell from a box head downwards striking a ten penny nail which was driven through a board point up. The nail penetrated the skull piercing the coronary artery, causing death in a few moments; this was August 12, 1874. Mr. Frame and wife went to Michigan to live about the year 1876.

Return to History of Fredericksburg Table of Contents

Return to Chickasaw History Index Page

Page created by Lynn McCleary, March, 2013