| CHICKASAW COUNTY
Another IAGenWeb Project
By W. S. Pitts
Submitted by Beverly Witmer & Lynn McCleary, March 14, 2013
Submitted by Beverly Witmer & Lynn McCleary, March 14, 2013
The first brass band that Fredericksburg could call their own was organized the winter of 1865 and was called Pitts' Cornet Band. The roster of this pioneer band was as follows: W. S. Pitts, 1st Eb cornet; A. J. Wagner, 2nd Eb cornet; Jerome Padden, 1st Bb cornet; Joseph H. Benedict, 2nd Bb cornet: George Benedict, 1st Eb alto; Charles Chapman, 2nd Eb alto; John H. Miller, Bb tenor; E. N. Olmstead, Bb baritone; M. W. Warren, Bb bass; A. P. Fowler, Eb tuba; M. L. Sherman, bass drum.
George Barker was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1820, and grew to manhood there; was married there in the year 1848, to Miss Isabella Swale; came to America in 1853; farmed for four years in Cook county, Illinois, than came to Iowa in 1857. He located on the southeast quarter of section 36-94-12, Dresden township, which he had purchased from the government some time before; to this piece of land he added as the years went by, until he was the owner of 1000 acres. Mr. Barker was a thorough farmer, one that could make money fast; he was a man of excellent judgment, one that made few mistakes. He kept from 60 to 100 head of cattle, and they of a high grade; was a great man for raising large numbers of hogs, also good horses. He was rough in speech, brusque in his ways, but withal had a warm heart in him and was liberal to a friend. Four children were born to this union:--Samuel, James, Edward and Isabella. Samuel married Miss Carrie Knight; he is a rich farmer and lives in Dresden township. James married an English girl, Kate Dawson, went onto a farm but only lived a few years. Edward married Miss Anna Hunt, by whom he had two children--a girl and a boy; he was divorced from her and again married to a daughter of Charlie Countryman; he has the farm where his father lived; he is worth a good snug sum of money. Isabella married Herbert Hunt in 1885; they live in Bremer county, section 6-93-11; e also is one of the farmers that are well off.
Mrs. George Barker was one grand good woman. Both have finished their lifework. Mrs Barker died April 20, 1885; Mr. Barker died July 26, 1881, by his own hand--suicide.
F. Wood Barron was born in Chittendon county, Vermont, June 29, 1832. Son of Larned Barron. Came to Fredericksburg, Iowa, January 1, 1857. He engaged in the mercantile business here from 1857 to 1862. In partnership with Charles A, Linderman the years of 1858-9; with A. K. Warren during the years 1861-2. He was married in October, 1857, to Marion Lewis. Children born to this union, four---Frank, Porter, Florentine and Addie. Florentine died July 27, 1863.
Mr. Barron enlisted in August, 1862, in the 38th Iowa, Company "C." Received his commission as Lieutenant the spring of 1863. Discharged from the army January 6, 1865, at Morganzie, Louisiana. Mr. Barron moved with his family to Nashua the spring of 1865; here his wife died March 8, 1876. Frank Barron was married at Spirit Lake, Ia., June 22, 1896, to Kathleen Chandler, and died the fall of 1905. Porter was married at Pocahontas, Ia., February 3, 1887, to Minnie E. Thornton; he died at Pocahontas, July 9, 1890. Addie was married at Spirit Lake, Ia., April 27, 1887, to Charles Chandler where they now reside.
F. Wood Barron married his second wife, August 23, 1876. Her name was Eliza L. Caldwell, daughter of Aaron and Elmira (Dow) Caldwell. Miss Dow was a descendent of the great American preacher who was born in Connecticut in 1777, and who became noted in the United States, England and Ireland--Lorenzo Dow.
Mr. Barron left Nashua November, 1879 and located at Spirit Lake, Iowa, where he now resides. He is a man by nature highly social, a man that enjoys his friends, one of generous impulses, a good friend, neighbor and citizen. He was deputy postmaster here in 1857, under Frederick Padden.
Wm. Bee, son of Edward and Elizabeth Bee, was born in Canada, February 19, 1837. He was married in Canada, January 5, 1858, to Agnes Ainslie, and came to Iowa, April 3, 1878, locating on a farm in Stapleton township. In 1890 he sold his farm in Stapleton township and came to Fredericksburg. He lived there two years, then bought a farm of 160 acres on section eighteen, known as the Quackenbush place. He was elected secretary of the Fredericksburg Butter Factory in 1895 and held that position for nine years. Seven children were born to them: George Edward, who died in Canada; Ida C., born September 1, 1861, married to John I. Eygabroad, June 6, 1891 and lives at Gary, South Dakota; Ruba E., born in 1863 and died in Canada. W. Everett, born October 5,1866, drowned Cedar Rapids, January 18, 1888; Mary Jane, born February 27, 1869, married to Albert E. Sellers, January 9, 1889; A. Louis, born March 8, 1873, died January 31, 1890; Alfred J. born March 11, 1878, married to Effie E. Eastland December 18, 1901. Mr. Bee left the farm and moved into town January 8, 1902.
George M. Benedict, son of Hiram and Sally Benedict, came here with his parents in 1856. Raised on the farm. He began for himself by clerking for M. L. Sherman about 1870. Mr. Sherman opened a branch store at Lawler and he took charge of that. This branch was discontinued and Mr. Benedict went to Colorado. He was in business at Littleton for several years. He was married thrice, two wives are dead. He had one daughter, Mary. Mr. Benedict like the whole family was a straight up and down man in all his business relations. He will be remembered by our old settlers all the days. He died at Littleton, Colorado in 1905.
Hiram Benedict was born in the state of New York, March 24, 1808; married in 1833 to Sally White, also a native of New York, who was born in December 1809. Five children were born to them: Robert Bruce, Myron Rilly, David Lewis, Joseph Hiram and George Marshall. Robert Bruce died in infancy. In 1856, Hiram Benedict and family came to Fredericksburg township, locating on section 17, northeast quarter. When the war broke out David L. enlisted August '61 in the 9th Iowa Infantry, company "F." Followed the fortunes of the company until February 22, '63, when he died at Young's Point, opposite Vicksburg.
Mrs. Benedict died August 7, '67. July 16, '68, Mr. Benedict married Mary A. Dows at West Union. After a few years on the farm, he sold it and built in town where he lived until April 3, '97, when he died at the age of 89 years. The second wife died December 12, '99 at the home of J. W. Hubbard.
Joseph Benedict was born in the state of New York in 1840. He was the fourth son of Hiram and SaIlie Benedict. When about fifteen years old he came with his parents to Fredericksburg township. He was married in 1868 to Elinor Lyman, also a native of New York. He first opened a farm three miles east from town; he sold this farm to Mr. O'Brien and went two miles further east. Here he began a new farm of 240 acres upon which he built one of the best farm houses then in the township; also excellent, roomy barns. He put out ornamental shrubbery in front of his house in a very artistic manner. He also had a fine orchard of apple trees. He sold this farm to a German---Mr. Niewohner, and moved into town. Four children were born to this union: Winifred W., William H., Lyman died in August, 1870, at the age of four months, and an infant died May 24, 1871. Mr. Benedict died September 17, 1896.
Myron Riley Benedict came with his parents from New York state to Iowa in 1856: lived on the farm until the war broke out when he enlisted in Company "F." 9th Iowa Infantry. After the war he came home and in March '68 he was married to Caroline Terrell in the state of Wisconsin. He worked his father's farm one year then located on a quarter in Section 3. Here was born to them two children, Wallace and Cora Belle. Cora Belle died July 27, 1880 of diphtheria, Wallace grew to manhood, married Lura Grover. Mrs. Benedict died November 1891, and March 14, 1895 he married Mrs. Julia E. Warner of Nashua, Iowa. Left the farm May 1896 and moved into town where he now lives.
John Adam Billings and family came here from Boone county, Illinois. They reached here the same day Godfrey Vail and family did. They first met at Dubuque when ferrying over the river and came on together. He located on the southwest quarter of section 13-94-12. This farm is the one now owned by James Ellis. Here he lived until his death in 1886. Children, John, L. A., George, Anseline, Mary, Cornelia, Theodore and Eliza. Anseline married a man by the name of Buntz from whom she parted; afterwards married a man by the name of South and they lived at West Union, Ia. Mary married a man by the name of Nash; they lived at West Union and there she died. Cornelia married J. H. Michener of Fredericksburg; she died August 20,1863 at the age of twenty-three years, an f is buried in the west cemetery. Theodore and Eliza went to Missouri and here we lost track of them. George married Julia Lewis.
George C. Bishop, son of Joseph and Mary [Hoyt] Bishop, came to Iowa with his parents in 1856, to Fredericksburg township. He received such schooling as the schools of that day afforded. In the year 1867 he married Augusta A. Linn of Bremer county, who died October 22, 1869. December 20, 1870, he married his second wife, Miss Helen Eastman of Freeport, Illinois. This union was blessed with one child, named Anna, now the wife of Arel Colt. Mr. Bishop owns a farm of 160 acres on section 28 and also 80 acres on section 17 where they reside. He has good buildings.
Herbert A. Bishop was born in Fredericksburg township March 16, 1858. Son of Joseph B. and Mary E. (Hoyt) Bishop. Mr. Herbert Bishop was a "twin," his mate being Mrs. Helen Freeman. Mr. Bishop was married July 3, 1880 to Miss Ida M. Wilcox. The years 1881 and 1882, he was U. S. mail carrier between Fredericksburg and New Hampton--"star route." In September 1903, he was appointed a mail carrier in the rural service, which position he held until 1905, when he resigned in favor of his son. One child was born to this union, Charles, born December 21, 1882.
Joseph Bishop was born in the state of Connecticut, of New England stock; was a soldier in the war of 1812; came to Fredericksburg with his son, Joseph B. Bishop, in 1856, and died April 1865, at the age of 75 years.
Joseph B. Bishop was born in the state of New York, in 1822. He was married to Mary E. Hoyt and moved to Ogle county, Illinois. He remained there eighteen months, and then came to Fredericksburg, March 15, 1856. He took up farm one mile east of town. He died December 13, 1879. Mrs. Bishop is still living and is on the original farm, and is a grand good woman. They had six children: Anna, George, Rebecca, William, Herbert and Helen. George now lives upon a part of the old farm. He was married to Augusta A. Linn in 1867; she died October 22, 1869. He was re-married December 20, 1870, to Miss Helen Eastman. They have one daughter, Mrs. A. E, Colt.
Anna Bishop taught the first term of school in Fredericksburg; also the first one in Dresden township, which was the Scisson school. She died September 23, 1860. Rebecca lives in Wisconsin; her name is Gilbert. Helen, William and Herbert are living here; all are married.
William Bishop, second son of Joseph and Mary (Hoyt) Bishop came here with his parents, a little three year old. Here he has lived ever since. He married for his first wife Flora Tillotson. This union was severed in a few short years by death. One daughter the fruit of this marriage remains. Maude is her name; she is the wife of Elam Benner. Mr. Bishop married for his second wife, Miss Mina Benner, an English lady, daughter of the late George Benner, who died April 3, 1895. Mr. and Mrs. Bishop live on their farm one-half mile east of Fredericksburg. They have eighty acres of land, good house and barns, are nicely situated.
Wilhelm Block (German) came here from Germany in 1875. His means were small. He bought 160 acres of land on section 25. This he paid for in a few years by dint of hard work and rigid frugality. He next bought the Shuler farm, 120 acres in section 26, which he soon paid for. The next move was to buy the A. and A. J. Weston farm adjoining his 160 acres, for which he paid $8,000. His son Emil lives on this farm which he bought of his father. The Block family numbers six--father and mother and four children, Emil, Ernest, Vernie and Richard. All are at home except Emil, he married Ina Gitsch, September, 1900. In creed the Blocks are Lutherans.
Dan BIoxham with his family came here in 1855. He settled on a farm one mile north of town. In 1865 he sold the farm and moved to Grundy county where he died. He was a part owner of the village plat with Frederick Padden. The house that he lived in on the farm stood back from the road, as it now runs, about sixty rods. There were two sons and one daughter: Warren, Joseph and Hannah. Warren married a sister of Wm. Bullock and moved to Grundy county. Joseph died in the army. Hannah went with the family to Grundy county. Mr. Dan Bloxham was of English descent. He went into the service of the Sixth Iowa Cavalry, Company "C." [spelled as written]
James Alexander Broadie was born in Canada, September 26, 1849. Son of Michael and Jane Broadie; married in Canada to Isabella McKinnon. Came to Iowa in 1882: located on section 1, Dresden township, buying the farm of Edward and Elizabeth Buckley. Children born to this union: James, Ethel Olive, John Albert, Jane Isabelle, Lauchlin and an infant unnamed. Lauchlin and infant died. Jane Isabelle, wife, died February 15, 1890. Mr. Broadie married second time to Addie Hubbard in 1892. No children to second marriage. He owns 220 acres of land.
Michael Broadie was born in the province of Quebec, county of Argentine, November 14, 1826; lived there until he reached his majority; married to Jane Foster at Chatham, Ottawa, Rose county, October 27, 1848,by William Mair, witnesses, James Gownlock and Adam Broadie. Came to Iowa in 1882, locating first on a farm in Dresden township, Chickasaw county; lived there five years, then sold the farm and moved into the town of Fredericksburg. Two children were born to this union, James Alexander and Anna. Anna married James McFaul; she died August 18, 1889 and is buried in Rose Hill cemetery. Mr. Broadie and wife are going gently down the stream of life living to a good age.
Alivn A. Brown came here from Illinois in 1554. Be purchased the northwest quarter of section 6-94-11. They had three sons and a daughter living, Their daughter Florence died January 23, 1865, at the age of ten years. She was buried in the west cemetery. In 1878 Mr. Brown moved to Thayer county, Nebraska. He now lives near Kansas City. Their daughter Lillie married a son of Reuben Hanan of Dresden township, and she and her husband live near her parents.
Michael Brown, son of John and Mary Brown, was born in the state of Pennsylvania, Monroe county, March 22, 1818, on Easter Sunday. He received a common school education. In 1844 he left home, going to Bellview, Ohio, where he learned the trade of a tanner and currier. He worked at that business until he came to Iowa in 1864. In 1855, he was married to Caroline Dockrell, a native of England, by whom he had six children: John, born in 1856, died in 1857; Frank, born in 1858, died at Winona, Minnesota, in December 1874 of malarial fever, and was brought here for burial in the West cemetery; William, born March 1, 1860, married to Cora Stickney, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Stickney, and lives in Kansas; Charles F., born in 1862; Mary, born in April, 1864, and died in August, of the same year; Eliza, born November 26, 1886, and is the wife of John Phillips, who formerly was a blacksmith here.
Mrs. Michael Brown died at Fredericksburg, April 4, 1869. Mr. Brown, as early as 1854 or 1855, bought a large tract of land lying in Dresden township, the majority of it being timberland of the best quality. He came here in September, 1864, his family coming some two years subsequent. Mr. Brown lived among us for a number of years and established himself as a man of strict honesty in all of his dealings. When he sold one a cord of wood, that one got a full card of body wood piled as close as it was possible to do. He died the spring of 1855.
John S. Buck, son of Anson and Maria Buck, was born at Sandy Hill, Washington, New York, February 29, 1828. He came with his parents to Illinois in 1837 or 1838, locating at Bloomingdale, DuPg county. He received a common school education. In 1855 he moved to Dundee, Kane county, and in August the same year he was married to Maria Carpenter of Carpentersville, Illinois. He had one child by his first wife, a daughter, who is the wife of G. F, Arvedson of Carpentersville, Illinois. His first wife died in 1873. In 1875 he married the widow of William BenThusen, coming to Iowa that fall. They located first in Dresden township on the W. H. Linderman farm. In 1876, he traded farms with Mr. Linderman and moved that fall into Fredericksburg township, on a farm of 148 acres, where he lived until March 1906, when he traded the farm for a place in town where he now lives. To this second marriage two children were born: Anson Henry in 1878, and Sarah in 1881. His second wife had two daughters that came here with her: Dora and Eva M. Dora married a man by the name of Smith and lives near Hawkeye. Eva married Winnie Thorn and lives in this township.
Edward B. Buckley and his wife, Elizabeth, with one daughter came here from Dubuque in 1870. He first bought a farm in Dresden township. This he sold and bought the land now owned by the Whitcomb's on section 16, 160 acres. Mr. Buckley spent the summers on the Mississippi river as steward on some of the large river packets, one of which was the St. Paul. He was a very popular man on the river. Mrs. Buckley was a daughter of Judge Kerr of Woodstock, Illinois. After selling his farm Mr. Buckley lived in town. Mrs. Buckley died Nov. 2, 1888. Mr. Buckley died August 2, 1895. Both are buried at Rose Hill.
William Bullock, the elder, came to Iowa in 1865, and settled on section 3. He was English by birth. He died at the home of his son William R., April 25, 1893, at the age of 80 years. His wife died August 30, 1890.
William R. Bullock was born in Erie county, state of New York, in June, 1838. He was the son of William and Mary Bullock, was married in Wisconsin, January 1, 1862, to Clarissa Inglehart, and located in Fredericksburg township in 1865, settling upon the southeast quarter of section 1, 94, 11. Five children were born to them, the eldest being Mary Elwildie, who was born March 19, 1863, and December 11, 1881, was married to Lewis Aiken; they live in Minnesota. Their second daughter, Alice Rosina, was born in December 1864, and was married February 22, 1899, to Earnest Clark; they also live in Minnesota. Nelson W., died November 11, 1880; Annie F., November 14, and Wesley I., November 24th the same year, the cause of death being diphtheria.
Mr. Bullock bought his land of Clara Barton of Red Cross fame. She entered it from the U. S. Government with a land warrant given her by her father who was a soldier in the war of 1812. He still owns the land but rents it and lives in town. He moved into town in 1899, on a small piece of land just inside the corporation, purchased of Geo. S. Morris.
Oski Burnham was born in Orleans county, New Pork, in 1832 and spent his boyhood days in his native state. Was married in 1854 in New York to Nancy Ann Day. Came to Chickasaw county in 1855. He located on land in Dresden township, section 26---240 acres. Here he built a log house and grew up with the country. He was a hard worker and a money saver. He erected a frame house, commodious barn and beautified his grounds with groves. They had two children, Alida and Alma. Alida married Henry Churchill; Alma is at home. Mr. Burnham died in January 1888.
The Fredericksburg Cheese Company opened a factory here in the year 1875. It was a stock company, and erected a building at a cost of $1,600. Oliver Briggs, of Elgin, Illinois, was the superintendent and cheese maker. H. A. Simons, secretary and treasurer. This company made cheese for three years, when they ceased operations, the Wapsie Creamery was opened in the same building in the autumn of 1880, by Messrs Udall & Davis, of Jessup, Iowa, who after a few months sold to C. T. Haskett. He continued the business until September, 1882, when he sold to Kipp & Harris, of New Hampton. In 1884 Haskett & Padden rebought the creamery of Kipp & Harris and ran it to 1889 when they sold to an association of farmers. Capital stock $5000, shares $2.50 each. I. W. Edson was the first secretary, retaining the position five years, during which time much new machinery was purchased and some improvements on buildings made. Hiram Pratt was first butter-maker. He was followed by E. F. Beebe, he by John Clark and he by Harry Forrester the present incumbent. The fall of 1884 Wm. Bee elected secretary. At that date there was a funded debt of $2200 and a floating debt of $663. This debt was paid in full within the two years following, besides paying for repairs and new apparatus as it was needed. When Mr. Bee retired from office December 1, 1903, after serving a term of nine years, there was a cash balance in the treasury of $638.12.
In Mr. Whitcomb they have a worthy successor to Mr. Bee, who, with an able board of directors to direct and sustain him, will maintain the high standard already attained bythis excellent, well managed, money saving farmer's creamery.