Another IAGenWeb Project
BIOGRAPHIES OF CHICKASAW COUNTY
- P -
|WILLIAM B. PERRIN|
William B. Perrin was born at Berlin, Vermont, January 19, 1839.
His education began in the public school and was continued in Barre Academy and Darmouth College.
His studies were interrupted by enlistment in the First Rhode Island Cavalry, Company B, composed for the most part of college students. The company was attached to the Army of the Potomac and saw service in the Shenandoah Valley, the Antietam campaign and at Harper's Ferry. Mr. Parrin later enlisted in the Third Vermont Light Battery, was in the campaign from the Wilderness to Petersburg and at the surrender of the Confederate army under General Lee at Appomattox.
After the war Mr. Perrin continued his studies at Dartmouth, graduating in 1866. He took a course of lectures at the Albany Law School in 1866-7, came to Iowa and entered the law office of Tracy and Newman at Burlington.
In 1868 he located at Nashua, in Chickasaw County which became his permanent home.
He is a veteran legislator, having served in the House of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth General Assemblies, and in the Senate of the Twenty-fifth, Twenty-sixth, Twenty-seventh and Twenty-eight General Assemblies.
Contributed and Transcribed by Debbie Clough Gerischer
From Iowa History Project, Volume IV, Surnames P - R
Hon. Julius H. Powers
Mr. Powers spent a year in Texas, working at his trade, laying the brick of the court-house and jail of Bastrop county. Returning to Ohio, he attended the law school at Cincinnati, where he was admitted to the bar on the 7th of April, 1855. During that year he visited Allamakee county, Iowa, and, after prospecting a short time, received intelligence of his father's death and returned to Ohio. In May, 1857, he again visited Iowa; opened an office at Forest City, Chickasaw county, and removed to New Hampton in 1858, on the day that the county seat was moved hither from Bradford. Mr. Powers was appointed deputy clerk that year, practicing law at the same time and still continuing the practice. He is of the firm of Powers and Kenyon, the leading law firm in the county.
He was chosen state senator in the autumn of 1859, and was in the regular session of 1860 and the war session of 1861, resigning his office to go into the military service. He enlisted as a private in the 7th Iowa Infantry, but was soon afterward appointed captain of company I, of the 9th, and served until April, 1862, when he was compelled by disability to be mustered out. He has never fully recovered his health. He has a large practice, however, attends very carefully to his business, and as a lawyer has no superior in the county.
Mr. Powers is an Odd-Fellow, and has passed all the chairs in subordinatelodges. He is a republican, and one of the leaders of the party in the county.
He is a Congregationalist, and of the the constituent members of the New Hampton Church. He has been superintendent of the Sunday school for several years.
On the 31st of May, 1859, Miss Enginia F. Stebbins, of Long Meadow, Massachusetts, became his wife and they have three children and have lost one child.
Mr. Powers is a stockholder and director of the Bank of New Hampton; was a leading man in getting the McGregor and Sioux City railroad to this town; was attorney for the road in Chickasaw county for some time, and is an influential and very useful man.
Source: Iowa Biographical Dictionary, 1878, Page 730.
Note: Subsequent to this biography Mr. Powers wrote "Historical and Reminiscences of Chickasaw County, Iowa in 1894.
Transcribed By Mike Peterson
CHICKASAW COUNTY MAIN PAGE