AMOS W. VAUGHN.
Mention should now be made of several pioneers who settled in the vicinity of Lewis in the 'fifties and became more or less prominent. Amos W. Vaughn located on section 9, west of the town site in 1852. He endeavored to play a sharp game on the county when the commissioners had made the selection for the county seat, by going to Council Bluffs and entering that identical piece of land, hoping to make something out of it as a speculation. But he had only his labor for his pains, as he was compelled to relinquish all title to the property, and was glad to get his money back.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pg. 106.