The first permanent settlement within the borders of Lincoln township was that of William Thompson, a native of Ohio, who, in the fall of 1856, migrated with his family from Indiana and settled on section 5. Mr. Thompson built a log cabin, which they occupied about a year and which long afterward came into the possession and occupancy of Mrs. Gant. The Thompson family then removed to section 4, where its head built another log cabin on the land which he had entered. They remained there until September, 1875, when they went to Kansas, afterward returning, but finally locating in Nebraska. Of the six children Rosa was the only one who remained permanently in Lincoln township; she became the wife of Henry C. Martin, a farmer who settled on section 15.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pp. 160.