|Home > Biographies Home > 1906 Bios|
S. M. MEYERS.
The construction of the first hotel in Lewis was commenced in the spring of 1854, and the building was finished and occupied the same fall. S. K. Meyers was the landlord and although his house had no name it became well known, as it was made the stage station. Mr. Myers came from Wisconsin in time to open the hotel. He had a wife and child,and Lewis, his second, was the first child born in the town; the boy was named accordingly. Mr. Myers was well liked by the townspeople, and his accommodations for those days were very fair. In 1853 he removed to Audubon county, selling the hotel to Charles Baldwin, who named it the "Henderson House" in honor of E. W. Henderson, the Lewis merchant. About 1870 the hotel was destroyed by fire.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pg. 96.
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer