DR. ELVERTON E. MAJOR, REDLANDS, CAL.
This pioneer physician of Cass county, who sacrificed his health to his sense of duty in the service of the people, and is now living at Redlands, Cal., is a native of Vermont, born in 1854, and the son of Samuel and Sarah (Burzelle) Major, both born and reared in New Hampshire. The Doctor's father was a farmer in his native State, and pursued the same calling after coming to Iowa in 1866. On his arrival in this State he located in Audubon county, where he lived until 1893. The death of his wife in that year determined him to retire, and he moved to Anita, where he died in 1897.
The Doctor was brought to this State by his parents in early life and grew to manhood and obtained the greater part of his academic education here. He began the study of medicine under the direction of Dr. V. D. Rood of Anita, and was graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, receiving his degree in 1878. He began practicing at Anita and followed his profession there a number of years. But finding the strain on his constitution too great, he bought a stock of drugs and devoted his attention to the drug trade and office practice until 1899. In that year he moved to southern California, locating at Redlands in San Bernadino county, which is now his home.
While living in Cass county Dr. Major was a leading man in local public affairs, and took an active part in politics in behalf of the Republican member and president of the school board. He was also one of the prominent and influential members of the 'Botna Valley Medical Society.
In 1878 the Doctor was united in marriage with Carrie L. Griffith of Iwoa City. They had but one child, their daughter Harriet, who is now the wife of John P. Hight, Jr., of Redlands, Cal. The Doctor is a Freemason and an Odd Fellow, and in religious faith affiliates with the Congregational Church. While living in this county he served long years as an officer of the church. Throughout the county he is well known and his memory is held in high regard by the people.
CHARLES W. MAJOR, Anita, this county, a nephew of the Doctor, was born in the State of New Hampshire on September 22, 1873. He is the son of Edwin and Ida M. Major, the former a native of Vermont, and the latter of New Hampshire. At the age of four years the nephew came to this county and took up his residence with his uncle. He entered his uncle's drug store as a clerk, and in 1896 became a member of the firm. In 1900 he became sole owner of the establishment, and he is still conducting it, keeping the standard of its commodities up to the top mark of excellence and managing the business with energy, skill and enterprise of the most progressive kind. His store is one of the popular mercantile emporiums of the town, and its reputation for fair dealing and courtesy of treatment is wide spread and well established.
In 1897, Mr. Major was married to Miss Gertrude E. Anderson, an Iowan by birth. They have three children, their son Roland, and their daughters Winifred and Louise. Wamly attached to the principles of the Republican party, Mr. Major has made his faith good by earnest work in the service of his party, and at times has been the successful candidate for local offices. Fraternally he is allied with the Masonic order and the Knights of Pythias. In the latter order he has been a member of the Grand Lodge six years and is one of its trustees. He also is a member of the Congregational Church. Thus the family name made venerable by one man faithful to every duty in this community in his generation, is kept in high respect by one equally faithful in another.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pp. 404-405.