WILLIAM W. HAWORTH AND SAMUEL UPSON.
William W. Haworth and Samuel Upson, who afterward became prosperous farmers and well known citizens near Indiantown, visited the place in the 'fifties when they were locating their homes in Cass township. Mr. Haworth was an Illinois farmer, who, with his family, came to the county in 1854. He reached Indiantown on the 10th of June, of that year, and spent some time looking for a location. At length he bought a claim on section 17, with ten acres already broken. There he built a rude log cabin which the family occupied until 1863, when he erected a frame house on the same grounds, this remaining the homestead residence until his wife's death in 1873. He then moved onto section 20, where he purchased over 800 acres of land, including a large tract of timber, and gave his attention to the raising of cattle and other fine stock. Mr. Haworth here built a fine residence, carefully and tastefully improved his property, served his township as school director, justice of the peace and in other official capacities, and was long placed among the most substantial and useful members of the community.
Samuel Upson, who was born in Ohio and brought up on an Illinois farm, came to Cass county in 1858 and purchased a fine residence in what was left of Indiantown. At first he bought forty acres of land on section 4, and afterward added seventy acres on section 14, and fifty-eight acres on section 9. He brought with him his young wife, whom he had married three years before and set to work to improve his property. Mr. Upson prospered, raised a large family and was honored with various township offices, such as treasurer and trustee.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pg. 93.