|Home > Biographies Home > 1906 Bios|
ANSON & ORSON BROWN.
Anson and Orson Brown, Indiana farmers, were of the more substantial class of pioneers. Anson came in 1854 and pre-empted several pieces of land, settling on eighty acres in sections 11 and 13. He represented Turkey Grove township in 1867 and 1868, on the Board of Supervisors, later residing in Atlantic township and finally locating at Ottawa, Kas.
Orson Brown, after going overland to California in 1852 and remaining four years in the Land of Promise, located on the northeast quarter of section 14, in the month of September, 1856. He purchased 120 acres of James Montgomery, who, as mentioned, had made a few improvements consisting of the erection of a log house and the breaking of sixty acres of prairie. Later Mr. Brown bought 120 acres in section 13, and in 1866 built upon the home farm one of the best residences in the township. He hauled the lumber for the house from Boonesborough and Des Moines, the trip requiring five days. Besides developing his land in the general lines of farming Mr. Brown planted and maintained a fine orchard of apples, cherries and other fruits, and was a fixed resident who was a credit to the township.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pg. 144.
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer