DR. CHARLES V. BEAVER, ANITA.
This scholarly and cultivated gentleman, who is one of the leading professional men of Cass county, and has been practicing medicine, with Anita as his headquarters, during the last ten or eleven years (after an equal period of active professional work in other places), is a native of the State, and was born in Page county on November 21, 1857. His parents, Peter and Miriam E. (Quinby) Beaver, the former of whom was born in Pennsylvania and the latter in Ohio, came to Iowa and located in Page county in 1854.
The father was a farmer in his native State, and after coming to Iowa entered a tract of 160 acres of Government land, which he increased by subsequent additions until he had a considerable farm. It was wild and unimproed when he occupied it, but by great industry and applications he reduced it to cultivation and improved it with good buildings, fences and other necessary structures, residing on it until his death during the Civil War. The mother is still living. They were the parents of one son and four daughters, of whonm the Doctor is the only one dwelling in this county. His grandfather, Jacob Beaver, was a Pennsylvania German by nativity, but lived for a number of years in Page fcounty, this State, and later moved to Kansas, where he died at the age of ninety-six years. The American strain of the family is derived from Matthias Beaver, a native of Germany who emigrated to the United States and settled in Pennsylvania about the close of the Revolutionary War.
The Doctor was reared and educated in his native county, attending the public schools and Amity College, at College Springs. After leaving college he taught school for one year, at the end of which he entered the drug trade at Hepburn, in which he remained two years, meanwhile studying medicine. In 1883 nhe matriculated at the Northwestern Medical College, St. Joseph, Mo., Northboro, where he remained two years. At the end of that period he moved to Grant, and in that place he passed the next eight years in a very active and extensive practive. In 1893 he came to this county and fixed his residence at Anita, where he has since been diligently employed in ministering to the community. He has devoted himself assiduously to his profession, and in order that he might keep in touch with its most advance thought and discovery in theory and practive, he has several times gone back to the fountain heads of instruction, taking a post-graduate course in the Polyclinic at Chicago in 1893, another in the Post-Graduate School in the same city in 1900, and several special courses. He has also availed himself of the concentation of the study and experience to be found in the various medial societies, being a member of the Cass County Medical Society and the American Medical Association, in which he has added the results of his own study and observation to those of others.
In April, 1882, Dr. Beaver was united in marriage with Elizabeth McMilton, a native of Westmoreland county, Pa. They have two children, their son Raymond C. and their daughter Goldie. The latter is now taking a musical course at the Simpson College of Indianola, Iowa. The son, Raymond C., is at the head of the musical department of the State Agricultural College at Fort Collins, Colo. In politics the Doctor is a Free Silver Republican, and in fraternal life a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Odd Fellows. His religious affiliation is with the M. E. Church.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pp.262-263.