EDGAR L. ANDERSON, ATLANTIC.
Edgar L. Anderson, editor of "The Atlantic Telegraph," and, with his father, owner of that publication, is among the brightest and most enterprising young journalists of the State. His a native of Madison county, Iowa, born September 6, 1872, being the son of Thomas and Clara L. (Liston) Anderson. Both of his parents were born in Guernsey county, Ohio.
Thomas Anderson came to Iowa as a child with his father, Andrew Anderson, and has passed his life in the State. In his earlier years he was engaged in the harness business, but at the commencement of the Civil War enlisted in Company D, Second Iowa Cavalry, and served in that branch of the army for more than four years. He was with General Phil. Sheridan and other great cavalry leaders, and actively participated in many of the important engagements of the war. Being a man of rare intelligence, with an added popularity caused by an honorable military record, Mr. Anderson subsequently came into public prominence and was honored with the clerkship of the Warren County Courts. He performed the duties of this responsible position with efficiency and impartiality, and in 1886 became the owner of "The Indianola Herald," of which stanch Republican newspaper he is still editor and proprietor. The elder Anderson also served as postmaster of that city for four years, and is altogether one of the most influential men in that section of the State.
Reared amid such surroundings, it is natural that Edgar L. Anderson should have adopted a journalistic career. After laying a thorough educational foundation in the grammar and high schools of Indianola, he pursued an advanced course in Simpson College, and then, in company with Edward E. Egan, purchased the "Glenwood Opinion." They conducted this newspaper for about four years, when, at the outbreak of the Spanish American War, Mr. Anderson was appointed assistant paymaster. He spent thirteen months in the service, the discharge of his duties taking him to Cuba, Atlanta, Ga., New York City and Chicago, and was honorably discharged July 1, 1899.
At the conclusion of his military service Mr. Anderson came to Atlantic and, resuming partnership relations with Mr. Egan, purchased "The Telegraph." On June 10, 1904, the latter retired, the interest of Mr. Egan being purchased by E. L. Anderson.
Edgar L. Anderson was married November 12, 1895, to Ida McAdam, of Indianola. In his fraternal relations he is a Knight of Pythias and a Modern Woodman of America. He is a member of the Methodist Church, and is so well known throughout the State that it is almost superfluous to add that his politics are Republican. "The Telegraph" is considered the county organ of that party, and under the able editorship of Mr. Anderson, is continually becoming more firmly established, as well as extending its influence into broader journalistic fields.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pp. 251-252.