W. A. GARDNER
W. A. Gardner is one of the hardware dealers of Lewis. The business was started by Steele and Hamlin, on the east side of the square, in August, 1880. After three months there, they removed to the present location on Main street. They had been in that place some three months when Mr. Steele purchased Mr. Hamlin's interest, and in a short time sold it to W. A. Gardner. The latter became sole owner by purchase, June 23, 1884. He handles light and heavy hardware, stoves, tinware, etc. The building is 20x70 feet in size, and two stories high. He has an implement store, 25x60 feet. W. A. Gardner was born in Middlesex county, Massachusetts, in 1830. He grew up to manhood there, and in 1815 removed to Illinois. During the same year he removed to Grinnell, Iowa, and was in the hardware business three years in that place, then followed farming until he came to Lewis. He was married in 1857 to Selena Andos. They have two children--Carrie (Kennedy), and Edwin. Their child William, died in 1860, aged seven months. Mr. Gardner is a member of the Masonic order.
Contributed by Lisa Varnes-Rex from "History of Cass County, Iowa. Together With Sketches of its Towns, Villages and Townships, Educational, Civil, Military and Political History: Portraits of Prominent Persons, and Biographies of Old Settlers and Representative Citizens." Springfield, Ill.: Continental Historical Company, 1884, pg. 536.