Leonard Everly came in 1855, and entered the west half of the northwest quarter of section 33, and the northeast quarter of the northwest quarter of the same section. He built a cabin on that part of his land which was in the south portion of Ludley's Grove, near a spring. His cabin was a very primitive one, being erected of sapling poles. He made a business of horse-trading, and was very successful at it, accumulating some wealth. He removed to a place west of Lewis, where he died.
Transcribed by Gloria Goltiani from "History of Cass County, Iowa. Together With Sketches of its Towns, Villages and Townships, Educational, Civil, Military and Political History: Portraits of Prominent Persons, and Biographies of Old Settlers and Representative Citizens." Springfield, Ill.: Continental Historical Company, 1884, pg. 589.