J. M. EMMERT, M.D.
Dr. J. M. Emmert was born in Washington county, Maryland, June 13, 1846, and is the son of Joshua and Anna G. (Funk) Emmert. His mother is a native
of Pennsylvania, her people having settled in the southeastern part of that State in 1745, and some still reside there. Her father was a large farmer of that State, and was a member of the State Legislature when Thaddeus Stevens offered the first bill to establish fall schools. Grandfather Emmert moved to Illinois about the year 1845, and was one of the pioneers of Lee county. He was a minister of the German Baptist faith, and erected the first Baptist church in that county, at an early day, almost entirely from his own resources. Dr. Emmert spent his early life in Washington county, Maryland, and was educated at Mechanicsburg and Millersville State Normal school, Pennsylvania. He graduated at Jefferson Medical college, Philadelphia, March 9, 1872, but had taught school prior to the study of medicine. A short time after graduating he came west to Iowa, locating at Hamburg, Fremont county, in June, 1872, and was married October 28, 1873, to Miss Ida Washabaugh, a native of Franklin county,Pennsylvania. March 16, 1874, he removed to Atlantic, Iowa, where he has since achieved good success in the practice of his profession. He is a member of the State Medical society and the American Medical association, to which latter body he has twice been a delegate. He has been a member of the committee on micrology and arrangements several times, and in 1876 was a delegate to the International Medical Congress, in Philadelphia. He has held the position of assistant surgeon for the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific railroad since 1874, and has also filled important local offices of Atlantic, including city clerk, president of school board and health physician. He is the Worshipful Master of the Masonic Lodge, a member of the Chapter and Prelate of Commandery. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F. and A. O. U. W. societies, and an elder of the First Presbyterian church of Atlantic. In May, 1882, he lost two children from diphtheria---Blanche, aged five years, and Dale, three years of age. There is one son left, Max, aged one year. He owns a drug store in Marne, Cass county, and has acquired considerable property, having been financially successful in all his undertakings. In 1881 he was a candidate for representative on the Democratic ticket, from Cass county, which had a Republican majority of over one thousand, and was defeated by but ninety-nine votes in the county, which proves conclusively his popularity and standing among the people as a man of ability and eminence. He was also a delegate from the Ninth congressional district to the Democratic National convention, at Chicago, in 1884, which placed in nomination the successful candidate.
Contributed by Cheryl Siebrass from "History of Cass County, Iowa. Together With Sketches of its Towns, Villages and Townships, Educational, Civil, Military and Political History: Portraits of Prominent Persons, and Biographies of Old Settlers and Representative Citizens." Springfield, Ill.: Continental Historical Company, 1884, pg. 400-401.
J. M. Emmert, M.D., of Atlantic, has a drug store in Marne. The business was established in the fall of 1876, by John Pipher, on the south side; he shortly afterward removed to the north side. After continuing the business of his new location six months, he sold out to John McKitchen. This gentleman conducted the store until January 1, 1883, when Dr. Emmert purchased the stock. He carries a stock valued at about $3,300, consisting of drugs, pateent medicines, druggists sundries, etc. Dr. Emmert does not attend to the business in person, but has an able manager in the person of E. C. Thompson.
Transcribed by Gloria Goltiani from "History of Cass County, Iowa. Together With Sketches of its Towns, Villages and Townships, Educational, Civil, Military and Political History: Portraits of Prominent Persons, and Biographies of Old Settlers and Representative Citizens." Springfield, Ill.: Continental Historical Company, 1884, pg. 612-613.