DR. M. J. DAVIS
Dr. Mahlon J. Davis, the present postmaster, assumed the duties of his office May 16, 1869, being appointed under Gen. Grant's administration. He has held the office without interruption, up to date. He put up a building in the east end of town, in which he kept postoffice and drug store. In 1880, he removed the building to its present location, on West Main street, convenient to the business of the town.
Dr. M. J. Davis, one of Lewis' prominent citizens, was born in Juniata county, Pennsylvania, October 27, 1837, and is a son of Judah P. and Charlotte (Leitz) Davis. He was brought up in his native State, attending the common schools from the time he reached a suitable age, until the age of fifteen years. He then attended two years at Airy View Academy, and three years at Kishacoquillas seminary. He left the latter to study medicine with Dr. D. M. Crawford, at Millerstown, Perry county, of the same State, with whom he spent two years, after which he went to New York city, and took a course at the medical university there, then returned to the office of Dr. Crawford, where he still pursued his studies. He subsequently returned to the college and graduated in March, 1862, receiving his diploma from the faculty, Howard Crosby, Chancellor, and John W. Draper, Dean. He immediately entered the regular army, as acting assistant surgeon, and was assigned to hospital duty in the city of Washington, where he served two years, and was then appointed surgeon of the Second New York Artillery. During 1864 and 1865 he was surgeon-in-chief of the artillery of the Second Corps, on the staff of General Hazard, serving in that capacity until the grand review at Washington, after which he rejoined his regiment in that city, where it remained on special duty, until November, 1865. The regiment was mustered out at David's Island, in New York harbor. He returned to Pennsylvania and resumed the practice of his profession at Newport, Perry county. Nine months later he removed with his family to Iowa, locating in Lewis, in September, 1866. He was united in marriage in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, December 27, 1864, with Priscilla R. Shuman, a native of Perry county. They are the parents of three children--William B., Brodie B. and Charles P. Dr. Davis is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and has been Master of the lodge three terms.
Contributed by Lisa Varnes-Rex from "History of Cass County, Iowa. Together With Sketches of its Towns, Villages and Townships, Educational, Civil, Military and Political History: Portraits of Prominent Persons, and Biographies of Old Settlers and Representative Citizens." Springfield, Ill.: Continental Historical Company, 1884, pg. 547-548.