PHILANDER and H. K. CRANNY
Philander and H. K. Cranny came to Indiantown in the first part of 1853. Philander was a shingle maker by trade, but devoted a good deal of his attention to dancing and giving lessons in the Terpsichorean art. He taught dancing in Mr. Conrad's house at first, and afterwards moved over to Iranistan, and taught dancing at Wilson Smith's house.
H. K. Cranny located, with his family, on a farm between Indiantown and Iranistan, where he tilled the soil, doing very well. He was chosen clerk of the court in 1855, and held the position one term. In 1859, he and his brother Philander started west. In Nebraska he deserted his wife and went to Logan, Utah, where he became thoroughly Mormonized, taking unto himself three wives. He commenced practicing medicine there, and is now a prominent "doctor."
Transcribed by Gloria Goltiani from "History of Cass County, Iowa. Together With Sketches of its Towns, Villages and Townships, Educational, Civil, Military and Political History: Portraits of Prominent Persons, and Biographies of Old Settlers and Representative Citizens." Springfield, Ill.: Continental Historical Company, 1884, pg. 529.