ROBERT B. BUTLER
Robert B. Butler, a pioneer of Cass county, settled where he now resides, on the east half of the southwest quarter of section 17, of Pymosa township, in 1873. He purchased his land which was then unimproved, of the railroad company in 1870. The country in this vicinity, was at that time, very sparsely populated. Mr. Butler was born in Randolph county, Indiana, in 1840, and is a son of Edward Butler, of this township. He was reared to the occupation of farming. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the Sixty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served about one year. He was then discharged for disability. He was in the battle of Richmond, Kentucky, where he was taken prisoner, but was soon after, paroled. Mr. Butler came to Cass county first in 1860, for the purpose of viewing the country, and returned to Indiana. He came here in 1863, becoming then, a permanent resident. He moved his family here from Indiana with a team, driving the entire distance, spending about four weeks on the route. He was married in Indiana to Susan Collis, a sister of John A. Collins of Brighton township. Mrs. Butler was born in Virginia and removed to Indiana with her brother. Her father, James B. Collins, subsequently returned to Virginia where he died. Mr. and Mrs. Butler have three children--Morton H., Cora E., and Martha L. of whom the eldest was born in Indiana and the others here.
Transcribed by Gloria Goltiani from "History of Cass County, Iowa. Together With Sketches of its Towns, Villages and Townships, Educational, Civil, Military and Political History: Portraits of Prominent Persons, and Biographies of Old Settlers and Representative Citizens." Springfield, Ill.: Continental Historical Company, 1884, pp. 561.