John W. Burruss came to Cass county in March, 1868. In May, 1869, he bought the west half of the southwest quarter of section 25. Here he erected a small shanty and commenced improving the land. He has continued to reside here and now has a fine farm, all under cultivation, with good buildings, a grove and orchard. His present residence was erected in 1874. He was born in Campbell county, Virginia, January 26, 1831, and is a son of Thomas and Katurah (Weber) Burruss, both natives of Virginia, where they died. John w. Burruss lived in his native town until thirty-eight years of age. He was married October 19, 1859, to Mary A. Clay, a native of Virginia, and a distant relative to Henry Clay. They have one child...Katurah. She was educated in the city of Atlantic, and has been a teacher in this county. Mr. Burruss is engaged in stock raising, and is a prosperous farmer.
Transcribed by Gloria Goltiani from "History of Cass County, Iowa. Together With Sketches of its Towns, Villages and Townships, Educational, Civil, Military and Political History: Portraits of Prominent Persons, and Biographies of Old Settlers and Representative Citizens." Springfield, Ill.: Continental Historical Company, 1884, pg. 601.