GEORGE S. BROWN
George S. Brown, one of the prominent citizens of Cass township, was born in Lee county Iowa, on the 16th of February, 1848. His father was a native of Massachusetts, and in former days was a merchant, and was so engaged many years, when he became a farmer. He was one of the pioneers of Lee county, settling there in 1846. He died in Lee county, in 1877. His widow is now living on the old homestead with her daughter Lucy H. Their. Eight children are all living, all married but one. George, the subject of our sketch, became identified with Cass county in November, 1872, and the following spring bought 120 acres of land on section 14 and 23, Cass township. He has since purchased 665 acres of land, and has built a fine set of frame buildings. He pays particular attention to the raising of stock, and buying them for the market. He has received the confidence and respect of the people, and as a farmer and stock dealer he is numbered among the first. Mr. Brown was united at Lewis, on the 24th of February, 1870, to Miss Sophia Mills, a daughter of Hon. Oliver and Sophia Mills. Mrs. Mills died in December, 1876, at Lewis, where her husband still resides. Mr. and Mrs. Brown have been blessed with four children: Fred Oliver, born in 1871; William G. and Edward F., twins, born in July 1875; and Edith, born in December 1879.
Transcribed by Gloria Goltiani from "History of Cass County, Iowa. Together With Sketches of its Towns, Villages and Townships, Educational, Civil, Military and Political History: Portraits of Prominent Persons, and Biographies of Old Settlers and Representative Citizens." Springfield, Ill.: Continental Historical Company, 1884, pg. 513.